Is it "whats best forum" , or what's more expensive

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Unfortunately an option available only to a very select few.

However, since the select few do actually participate in this forum, perhaps it would be a great way to probe this matter further say in the next RMAF. It could be part of the official seminar but better an informal one held with the cooperation of an exhibitor after hours.

Take a master tape track each (generously provided by some members) from say large scale classical, rock and jazz and make a copy each of RBCD, 24/192, 32/384, DSD, DSDx2 and whatever formats thats agreed upon. Use a DAC capable of playing all formats and DACs that will play each format best. For example, we could use the Playback as the control DAC and various other dacs such as Opus's dac for RBCD and etc etc.

Take a run through the control dac first and see which format is better. Then to give each format the best shot, use whichever dac that show the format best and do a second run.

Would this be something people would be interested to see happen? Or am I smoking some funny stuff:p

Bruce did something like that at last years RMAF for people.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

bbb

Dec 19, 2012
Also, while we are at it, has anyone actually done any measurements wrt to the various formats ie. using the same equipments and in the same room, measure the frequency response generated by each format? Would this provide any insights?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
So how does the reconcile with your above statement that there wasn't a DSD copy of Quadrophenia?

Easy, I am right and wrong. Townshend spoke to Sound On Sound early last year, and that is where I got that info.

These DSD transfers were done after that. Clearly, some of the Who tapes were done to DSD..Tommy for sure, but not all.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Also, while we are at it, has anyone actually done any measurements wrt to the various formats ie. using the same equipments and in the same room, measure the frequency response generated by each format? Would this provide any insights?

Don't go there...:)

bbb

Dec 19, 2012
Bruce did something like that at last years RMAF for people.

But does it have the 2nd part of the test? The results of the 1st part will be obvious, that's why I used the word control DAC. You use the 1st part to set a baseline (32/384 >> 24/192 >> RBCD, DSDx2 >> DSD >> SACD, 24/196 >> DSD?? etc etc) and then you try and see if the 2nd part upset the apple cart or not. If it does, then there is useful things to talk about and hopefully we can take this matter further rather than going round and round in circle.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Would this be something people would be interested to see happen? Or am I smoking some funny stuff:p

You might be smoking some funny stuff, but I did this also for Michael Lavorgna comparing the different formats and he only used (I think) the Mytek as a control. Using several DAC's would be a logistical nightmare in a setting like RMAF. I recorded mastertapes at last RMAF and played them back via the Playback and people were stunned. I'd be willing to do this again, maybe on a larger scale.

bbb

Dec 19, 2012
Don't go there...:)

Ha Ha I Know but what the heck. Hopefully we get something out of it before it goes down the hole. I suspect the difference in measurements won't be that great and the objectivists will say there we are imagining things and the subjectivists will say how can the objectivists be so deaf. Same old same old.

As I said earlier, find a copy of Bounce by Matthew Syed, I got mine for less than US$2. It is an interesting read.

Last edited:

bbb

Dec 19, 2012
You might be smoking some funny stuff, but I did this also for Michael Lavorgna comparing the different formats and he only used (I think) the Mytek as a control. Using several DAC's would be a logistical nightmare in a setting like RMAF. I recorded mastertapes at last RMAF and played them back via the Playback and people were stunned. I'd be willing to do this again, maybe on a larger scale.

Hi Bruce, thanks for the reply. Like I said earlier, if only using a control dac, the results will be obvious. Anyways, it shouldn't be a logistical nightmare if you restrict it to 3 dacs, a control dac, a rbcd dac, a high res pcm. The shootout will be control vs HR pcm, control vs RBCD, HR pcs vs RBCD. As to the format, it could be RBCD, 24/192 or 32/384, DSDx2. After this, if anyone is keen to try other formats/dacs they can do it if there is time. This can be done over a couple of days.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi Bruce, thanks for the reply. Like I said earlier, if only using a control dac, the results will be obvious. Anyways, it shouldn't be a logistical nightmare if you restrict it to 3 dacs, a control dac, a rbcd dac, a high res pcm. The shootout will be control vs HR pcm, control vs RBCD, HR pcs vs RBCD. As to the format, it could be RBCD, 24/192 or 32/384, DSDx2. After this, if anyone is keen to try other formats/dacs they can do it if there is time. This can be done over a couple of days.

Bruce essentially does this every day. his studio has every dac known to man and all the switching right there. i've heard him take an analog signal and run it through various formats and thru various dacs. it's really quite easy to hear what they all do to the source.

there is a very good reason Bruce prefers dsd.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have 2 DAC's coming in this week. Tomorrow I'll have a Phasure and Thursday a Lavry......

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Bruce essentially does this every day. his studio has every dac known to man and all the switching right there. i've heard him take an analog signal and run it through various formats and thru various dacs. it's really quite easy to hear what they all do to the source.

there is a very good reason Bruce prefers dsd.

Sony made a fatal mistake by not giving away DSD technology and then collecting a royalty fee on the back end.

DSD/SACD could have killed CDs 7 or 8 years ago.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sony made a fatal mistake by not giving away DSD technology and then collecting a royalty fee on the back end.

DSD/SACD could have killed CDs 7 or 8 years ago.

Wouldn't be the first time for Sony. Betamax, ATRAC, Memory Sticks.................

bbb

Dec 19, 2012
I think with Playback for DSD, phasure (make sure it is as optimally set up as possible with XXX high end, it is known to be very finicky with a steep learning curve) for High Res PCM and opus's dac (unless someone is willing to throw in a Zanden or other well regarded NOS dac) for RBCD, we have a decent line up for the test.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing