Is it possible for a speaker to be accurate and warm at the same time

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I had the opportunity of auditioning both the Magnepan MG 2.7QR and the MG 3.5 back in the late 90s in the comfort of my listening room. These 2 speakers, sound very different in tonal quality. I can safely say that the 2.7s were 'warm', and the 3.5s were 'bright' and 'thin', comparatively. Which is the more accurate? It's hard to define. But in terms of listening pleasure, length of listening hours, and a feeling of being involved emotionally with the music being produced, I'd say the 2.7s were the ones who gave me those.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
-- It's missing the low bass. ...The first octave.

But other than that looks excellent!
Thanks got you covered here. All the models look similar. Of course that assumes they are being honest.:b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
--Yeah, like Micro said, probably too "strident" anyway.

No 'warmth' there, and still missing the first octave, for that realistic and accurate 'ambiance' of the original recording venue.

And I knew that you'd come up with a sub or two.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Phony advertising , becareful .....

I really enjoyed rule two: Two, a speaker with a flat, even frequency response cannot sound poor.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- I want to add this, in reference to an earlier post by Kal.

Warm is like the sun, and cool is like the moon; both together they form a good balance. :b

And when the music starts it's like the sunrise, and when it quits it's like the sunset.

I was thinking; does temperature (warm and cool) outside can have an influence on the way we perceive (hear) the music?
...Or sunny and hot during the Summer's daytime, or dark and cold during Winter's nightime.
And also, on the AC power going through our electronic components?
And also, during daytime and nightime?
And last, from the country and the city?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing