Is great engine sound important to you in a car?

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Years ago I read an account of someone taking a Ford GT40 on a hard lap. The engine in these is literally inches away behind the driver's head, with only token sound insulation. And the Weber carbs on these are smack bang right at ear level: his description of the sound of the air being sucked through these on hard acceleration, and the popping and snapping when you backed off, made it sound like the most magnificent orchestral rendition to my young ears. Never been there, but sounds like a pretty good item for a bucket list ...

Frank

Dr_jitsu

Jun 17, 2011
The good thing about the GT40 is it can make a lot more power. My friend seriously upgraded his and it puts down a bit more than 1000 rwhp on the stock block.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Ford 1967 Mustang Shelby GT500 Fastback;
one of the best 'Sounding' ride ever I had when I was younger!

I'll remember that one still for a very long time.

And back then I was heavily into ... :)

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
The good thing about the GT40 is it can make a lot more power. My friend seriously upgraded his and it puts down a bit more than 1000 rwhp on the stock block.

Doc, you're thinking about the recent Ford GT. i think fas42 is taking about a car like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4DoMA8KEpk

this car is a '66 Mk I chassis #1043 and traded at the gooding auction in monterey for a cool $1.2 mil.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia

Dr_jitsu

Jun 17, 2011
I see now that the modern Ford GT is an homage to the GT40, From Wikipedia: The Ford GT40 was a high performance sports car and winner of the 24 hours of Le Mans four times in a row, from 1966 to 1969 (1966 being the Mk II, 1967 the Mk IV, and 1968-1969 the oldest chassis design, the Mk I). It is so far the only racecar built in America (Mk IV only) to win overall at Le Mans (1967 Mk IV).[3][4]

It was built to win long-distance sports car races against Ferrari (who won at Le Mans six times in a row from 1960 to 1965). Chassis # P-1075, which won in 1968 and 1969, is the first car in Le Mans history to win the race more than once with the same chassis, and only one of two cars to have won with the same chassis.) using a Ford engine originally 4.7- liter, enlarged to 4.9-liter (also known as a 5.0) with special alloy Gurney-Weslake cylinder head.

The car was named the GT (for Grand Touring) with the 40 representing its overall height of 40 inches (1.02 m, measured at the windshield) as required by the rules. Large displacement Ford V8 engines (4.2 liter, 4.7 liter and 7 liter) were used, compared with the Ferrari V12 which displaced 3.0 liter or 4.0 liter.

Early cars were simply named "Ford GT". The name "GT40" was the name of Ford's project to prepare the cars for the international endurance racing circuit, and the quest to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The first 12 "prototype" vehicles carried serial numbers GT-101 through GT-112. The "production" began and the subsequent cars, the MkI, MkII, and MkIIIs,( with the exception of the MkIV, which were numbered J1-J10)were numbered GT40P/1000 through GT40P/1145, were officially "GT40s". The name of Ford's project, and the serial numbers dispel the story that "GT40" was "only a nickname."

The contemporary Ford GT is a modern homage to the GT40.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Ah, yes, correct. No carbs on the Ford GT.

your gt2 is insane, i can only image what 700+ HP is like in a street porsche and it sounds awesome for a turbo'd car. im headed off to cars & coffee Irvine in 5 mins - lets see...will hennesy show up again with his latest 1000 hp supercar or will a veyron, enzo, gumpert apollo and carrera GT show up? we once had a ferrari 250 TDF, 250 SWb, 274 GTB4 and a real '59 TR show up at once. probably $20 mil right there. such is the car life in so cal :p:cool:

Dr_jitsu

Jun 17, 2011
You should come to Houston....we have more 1000 plus whp cars than any city in the world. The guy I was running in the first race, Jamie Carter, has a 1300rwhp Supra, and a 1500 rwhp Gallardo.

There are 2 more 1500 hp Gallardos here, and about 20 1000 rwhp plus Supras. There are also about half a dozen 996 TT's w/ built motors making over 1000 rwhp.

Since what you saw, I did a new full 3 inch all the way through exhaust and larger injectors on the GT2, and she is making about 800 rwhp on C 16, yet I can't keep up w/ the really big dogs around here.

In any event, my days of street racing are over. The 5 lane highway 59 we were running on had virtually zero traffic when it was built so we had a lot of fun. Now, as the area where I live has become more crowded, it simply isn't safe to run anymore. Plus, I gave my word to the officer who let me off and I have kept it. Once in a while I will take my car out to the country and see what she will do. I also enter 60-130 competitions we have every now and then at John Henneseys track (he is from this area). I run Nitto NT01 R comps which still qualify me for the street tire class. W/ the rear engine design of the Porsche I am able to hook really well. The front engine cars above 800 can't hook w/ anything but drag radials, so I have been able to win 2 of the 60-130 comps.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
You should come to Houston....we have more 1000 plus whp cars than any city in the world. The guy I was running in the first race, Jamie Carter, has a 1300rwhp Supra, and a 1500 rwhp Gallardo.

There are 2 more 1500 hp Gallardos here, and about 20 1000 rwhp plus Supras. There are also about half a dozen 996 TT's w/ built motors making over 1000 rwhp.

Since what you saw, I did a new full 3 inch all the way through exhaust and larger injectors on the GT2, and she is making about 800 rwhp on C 16, yet I can't keep up w/ the really big dogs around here.

In any event, my days of street racing are over. The 5 lane highway 59 we were running on had virtually zero traffic when it was built so we had a lot of fun. Now, as the area where I live has become more crowded, it simply isn't safe to run anymore. Plus, I gave my word to the officer who let me off and I have kept it. Once in a while I will take my car out to the country and see what she will do. I also enter 60-130 competitions we have every now and then at John Henneseys track (he is from this area). I run Nitto NT01 R comps which still qualify me for the street tire class. W/ the rear engine design of the Porsche I am able to hook really well. The front engine cars above 800 can't hook w/ anything but drag radials, so I have been able to win 2 of the 60-130 comps.

well then all bets are off you Texans are all HP freaks :D. be safe, lest you go the way of infamous Porsche blogger VRAlexander. i think his 996 made over 1,000 hp and it eventually killed him.

Dr_jitsu

Jun 17, 2011
It made 1100. I know that Alex was controversial....I heard the stories of some of his less than honest business dealings (and invitations to come stay at the Wynn Hotel that he/his family was supposedly part owners....my friend Tommy Bahn of 1500 hp Supra fame took him up on his offer and ended up having to pay for the room himself) but he was always OK in my dealings with him. He helped me tune my car one time, in fact I was supposed to see him after he ran in the Spectre 341race that took his life.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Oh, you bet

The engine/exhaust note is music to my ears ;)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Like JackD201, I find that it depends. I value silence in day to day driving but for pleasure.. the sound fom a Maseratti exhaust is heavenly.. I also like the growl of my favorite sports car the BMW M3 and find the sound of Infinity cars (yes, Infinity) very seductive...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I gotta agree. The Gs sound sweet.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You'll REALLY hate this Bob. Zero exhaust note, zero emmissions just engine,road and wind noise with free campy video game music.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Not for the feint of heart

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing