Is great engine sound important to you in a car?

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
On the outside, yes. A very distinct memory, as a teenager on a family trip in Austria: in a very small village, besides a lake, which had a winding road following its edge. In the distance, a banshee scream, rising and falling, getting louder. Then seemingly out of nowhere appeared a Porsche Turbo, with the massive rear wing, doing somewhere about 5 times the legal limit. He changed gears just as he passed, making a blip of sound like a PA tweeter in massive overload. I stood stunned for about 10 minutes, just luxuriating in the sense of raw power and sensory overload the sound had generated. Absolutely amazing, never been bettered, and so much better on the outside then probably on the inside ...

Frank

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
I am a sucker for exhaust & engine sound. I just did a cold air intake and secondary cat delete on my Cayenne GTS. With the sports exhaust, the vehicle growls like an angry mother bear on acceleration. I totally enjoy the vehicle much more now.

will try to record a better video, but here's my initial attempt to record it
[video]http://youtu.be/ltUbCrLQSC4[/video]

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
For a daily driver, I would say no. For a sports car, definitely it would be one huge YES.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
A V8 at 7,000 rpm IS music :D Heck, I turn the stereo off and go looking for tunnels!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
A harley is 6 cylinders and 2000rpm short :p

A Hayabusa or CBR900RR is definitely music to these ears!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
As long as my car turns over I don't care what it sounds like!:p

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
A Mustang convertible with "glass pipes" is still music to my ears.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Ah reminds me of the late 80s/early 90s when one used to get flames coming out of the exhaust with that popping-burble noise :)
Thinking of Porsche mostly for back then, and also the homologation group B rally cars.
Shame they were pigs to drive in traffic though :)

Cheers
Orb

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
For a daily driver, I would say no. For a sports car, definitely it would be one huge YES.

Amen to that when I drive my 89 Porsche 930 or my Dad's 88 Ferrari Mondial Cabriolet I would rather hear the engine than the car stereo .Its one of the reason why when you purchase this cars having a car stereo is a second thought! You cant hear them anyway when the car's revving is above 4000RPM

Mark J

Oct 3, 2011
On one car not really, good stereo. On the other car, a Hartge modified BMW, the engine sounds are intoxicating and I love the dry fall days being able to drive this car with the windows open.
So it depends. I would not pay for engine noise, like the noise pumped through the stereo in the new M5. But if the car comes with a great soundtrack, I will use it.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Exhaust note is chosen carefully by most manufacturers.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
But do they ABX?

KIDDING!!!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

repman

Apr 2, 2011
Kennesaw, Ga
Any italian supercar ( Ferrari Lambo, ect.)

It sounds better than a Italian opera IMHO.

Music to my ears

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing