Is Dave Brubeck "Jazz-Lite"

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
My favorite genres of jazz are post-bop, modal jazz, free jazz, hard bop and fusion roughly in that order. I don't consider Dave Brubeck jazz-lite in the slightest. I don't listen to his music much these days, but he deserves his place in jazz history. Frantz I do agree he is not of the same caliber as Monk, Ellington and Hancock (I would include Andrew Hill to that list and perhaps Bill Evans).

One of his albums that is very under rated is "We're All Together Again For the First Time". That's one I will continue to revisit. I also think Time Further Out is in some ways better than the original.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Dave Brubeck was as innovative and creative a jazz composer and musician as anybody.

He was BRILLIANT and at the top of the list with the other greats.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
WBF threads like this one, spend way too much time discussing, and very little time discovering.

"The point about jazz, is you do something and then you go on." - Van Morrison

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
WBF threads like this one, spend way too much time discussing, and very little time discovering.

"The point about jazz, is you do something and then you go on." - Van Morrison

Quite interesting comment, and I love Van's quote. :b

But we're a DISCUSSION forum. ...And from discussions comes explorations and discoveries. :b
...We're just looking for the best (in Jazz); yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

And Dave Brubeck is part of that 'accolade'.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Brubeck had a long career, and he wasn't brilliant for the duration. But the quartet he put together with Desmond, Wright and Morello ranks as one of the finest jazz ensembles in the history of the genre.
Their experiments with time signatures required them to develop short central themes to be played around with. Take Five (written by Desmond) made them stand-out famous, but it wasn't their only musical achievement.
Their Carnegie Hall concert is simply incredible. They hit the groove a short way in, and then simply begin to deliver magic (sometimes only clichees will do).

Of course, it wasn't just Brubeck - it was the four of them, particularly the little remembered Morello, the world's best drummer, ever. Alan Dawson, who drummed for Brubeck when he reassembled a quartet, hadn't a clue as to what Morello was doing at the drums.

Belgian television did a wonderful recording session, with excellent image and sound, when the quartet was at its most famous, the year after they recorded "At Carnegie Hall."
Look at that, and tell me they are Jazz Lite.

https://www.google.com/search?q=you...:nb-NO:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb

Well said. Morello was a good drummer but his predecessor was no slouch either. Listen to Joe Dodge's driving beat and kick drum work on 'I Want to be Happy' on Jazz Goes to College, for example. He'll knock your socks off, and the quartet is having a great time, even on mono.

Tubedoctor

Dec 12, 2012
i ve seen dave live a few years ago. an old men combo played like they where under speed. fantastic!

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
For an indication of what Morello was capable of at the drums, the track Castilian Drums from the Carnegie Hall concert is worth a listen. (Preferably from your system, from a good source.)
Some nice photos in this YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbR8G6YNuUM

But excellent drumming isn't only about fireworks, and my personal favorite example of what Morello can do is his underlay on Bossa Nova USA from the same concert (track two).
Being able to do what he does there is only for the true masters.

Not bad for a legally blind guy.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
For an indication of what Morello was capable of at the drums, the track Castilian Drums from the Carnegie Hall concert is worth a listen. (Preferably from your system, from a good source.)
Some nice photos in this YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbR8G6YNuUM

But excellent drumming isn't only about fireworks, and my personal favorite example of what Morello can do is his underlay on Bossa Nova USA from the same concert (track two).
Being able to do what he does there is only for the true masters.

Not bad for a legally blind guy.
Thanks very much for the tip about the Carnegie Hall concert which had escaped my collection, but not for long since I ordered it yesterday from Amazon UK. I am writing this with Morello's solo from YouTube playing in the background. Very sweet and subtle playing. Talented musician. Look forward to hearing this on my system.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
That concert in Carnegie Hall is an evening's worth of pleasure. I'm fortunate enough to have the original 1/4" tape of the full concert as well as some of the early vinyl releases.
But the CD-versions I've heard are very good. It's a miracle that four people can generate this much energy in that large a hall.

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
Sorry to jump in but does anyone have Dave Does Disney? I'm curious to see if I should get the new Legacy Edition redbook which is two discs or pursue the SACD version.

Cheers,
-Hedwig

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just picked up "Carnegie Hall" on vinyl. VG+. :)

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Lucky man! I ordered a copy through Amazon UK which never arrived. So back to the drawing board. Is your vinyl copy a reissue or original?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Lucky man! I ordered a copy through Amazon UK which never arrived. So back to the drawing board. Is your vinyl copy a reissue or original?

It's a 360, which I believe is a a reissue. I am a newb to early jazz recordings so I can't answer that with 100% certainly. The guy I bought it from sent me a needledrop in MP3 and it sounded clean as a whistle, so I took it. There are none to be found here in Toronto.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
It's a 360, which I believe is a a reissue. I am a newb to early jazz recordings so I can't answer that with 100% certainly. The guy I bought it from sent me a needledrop in MP3 and it sounded clean as a whistle, so I took it. There are none to be found here in Toronto.
I have an original LP copy of Jazz at the College of the Pacific on the Fantasy label and recently picked up a new reissue in Vancouver. I still prefer the original version with all its surface noise, well-earned. Enjoy the Carnegie Hall concert; I'll have to settle for the CD. By the way, Vancouver is a center for used LPs, jazz and otherwise.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have an original LP copy of Jazz at the College of the Pacific on the Fantasy label and recently picked up a new reissue in Vancouver. I still prefer the original version with all its surface noise, well-earned. Enjoy the Carnegie Hall concert; I'll have to settle for the CD. By the way, Vancouver is a center for used LPs, jazz and otherwise.

I'll post a pic and details once I receive the LP...I'd like to know the answer myself and learn from there.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing