Is anyone else's Inbox messed up?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
My Inbox appears totally messed up, all 2016 messages are missing, same for 2014, I always seem to have 1 new notification when there aren't any new, some messages are dated Jan 1 1970 (called Epoch in computer lingo, or a starting reference date, usually indicating an invalid date).

Anyone else having problems?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Yes, same here...several inbox messages are gone (latest PMs).

Something is different today; messages and posts are gone...the latest.

Only two posts for me (or three), and I just don't know how many PMs (received and sent) that are missing, but I can estimate @ least a dozen or so...latest ones. And I remember with who...one of my favorite member/writers, Rob. ...And Joe too. I even remember the exact conversations I had with Ron and Joe; two of the finest gentlemen.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
There was a scheduled update to the system today after which there were countless posts missing mine included as well as my inbox.

My inbox has been lighting up since this update. I apologize and am trying to see if the problem can be rectified

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I am missing numerous recent inbox and sent PMs.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Same here and various posts on a thread I'm on are also missing.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Something went wrong during the upgrade - for some time yesterday I got a message that there was an error in the WBF database when trying to access, and today many posts and moist of my PMs are missing.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It also looks like the option to edit previous posts has been removed (the most recent one is editable???)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It also looks like the option to edit previous posts has been removed (the most recent one is editable???)

Yikes! I am very fond of my ability to edit my posts!

Oh, but I now think that I see that posts written after the upgrade can be edited.

Steve Williams

The edit button has been changed to 60 minutes as there have been several members who left because of all of the recent commotion and deleted many or all of their posts as well as all of their photos. This became very disruptive to the continuity of a thread and management decided that 60 minutes is sufficient time to edit a post so the edit feature was not lost in the upgrade but merely shortened.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
OK but keep in mind that a lot of us edit their systems' original post with new system updates and photos. that's gone now.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
If anyone has a post that they would like updated (We know that there are a small handful out there), please send it to me. I will be happy to cut and paste for members whenever or wherever necessary. That way, there is minimal impact to the forum and for the most part, things remain the same.

Tom

Steve Williams

OK but keep in mind that a lot of us edit their systems' original post with new system updates and photos. that's gone now.

I am well aware of that but here is what we encountered when there was no time limit. Said members would delete all the content whether it be posts or images and not having the ability to delete a thread all they did after deleting the files was leave one word "deleted" So for now I hope you all can understand the reason behind our madness as this echoes what Spock said , "when the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one". Unfortunately it has been a few members who have done this and it totally disrupts a thread so I do hope you understand the "60 minute edit permission" after which changes can only be made by a member of the admin team. I am just as sensitive about deleted posts and PM's as anyone here as I have incurred losses as well but the edit feature was only recently changed to 60 minutes based on explanations I have given

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
If anyone has a post that they would like updated (We know that there are a small handful out there), please send it to me. I will be happy to cut and paste for members whenever or wherever necessary. That way, there is minimal impact to the forum and for the most part, things remain the same.

Tom

Does this mean that there's no chance of recovering of what was lost, including people's PMs?

david

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hi, David. I hope all is well sir. Deleted posts that were deleted by an author have zero chance of recovery unless the member kept a backup of each individual post and chooses to reinstate each one back to the original......which rarely, if ever happens.

Now when you speak of deleted PM's, that's a software/upgrade issue and I'll have to differ you to Steve or vBulletin® on that one. We can only hope that they can be restored. I would "think" so but upgrades along with regular maintenance on various forums sometimes proves to be.....aggravating sometimes to say the least and some things are lost for good.

Tom

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi, David. I hope all is well sir. Deleted posts that were deleted by an author have zero chance of recovery unless the member kept a backup of each individual post and chooses to reinstate each one back to the original......which rarely, if ever happens.

Now when you speak of deleted PM's, that's a software/upgrade issue and I'll have to differ you to Steve or vBulletin® on that one. We can only hope that they can be restored. I would "think" so but upgrades along with regular maintenance on various forums sometimes proves to be.....aggravating sometimes to say the least and some things are lost for good.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Doing well, thank you! The posts I was referring to are the ones that disappeared as a result of the upgrade, not self deleted ones.

david

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I am well aware of that but here is what we encountered when there was no time limit. Said members would delete all the content whether it be posts or images and not having the ability to delete a thread all they did after deleting the files was leave one word "deleted" So for now I hope you all can understand the reason behind our madness as this echoes what Spock said , "when the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one". Unfortunately it has been a few members who have done this and it totally disrupts a thread so I do hope you understand the "60 minute edit permission" after which changes can only be made by a member of the admin team. I am just as sensitive about deleted posts and PM's as anyone here as I have incurred losses as well but the edit feature was only recently changed to 60 minutes based on explanations I have given

There are other situations you might want to consider. For example, I recently redacted/deleted some of my [very positive] comments under a thread, because they were later used against me as a 'but you said such and such back then' despite the fact I have explained time and time again what I meant back then and what I meant now. So I chose to delete the originals and be done with it, instead of arguing all the time, or being attacked...

Steve Williams

I think for individual cases like that the admin staff would gladly help you with that but too recently there have been situations as I described that removing posts and pictures disrupts a thread and these are the very issues to which all of us object with the loss of posts.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I'm good with 60 min on editing. Any chance our inbox's will get restored...or it is what is kind a thing? A "feature" of the upgrade...

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Is there anything that can be done to bring back the old and much-better way to Manage Attachments? Here's what I have been seeing for months now, and it's virtually useless

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 23

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing