iPhone5 Update: I'm moving on...

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Here is an update of my iPhone5 experience...

I am done with it and moving on to a Droid Razr M.

My wife will take my iPhone5 to replace her 4S.

I find the user interface less than ideal. I guess I am not an iOS guy.

The battery life is PATHETIC. I have to charge the the thing 2x a day.

And before you ask, that is with Bluetooth and Wifi off. Most apps closed, and
screen brightness at 30%.

Easily one of the very worst cell phones I have ever had. This is a lifestyle product,
not a serious communication tool.:eek:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Here is an update of my iPhone5 experience...

I am done with it and moving on to a Droid Razr M.

My wife will take my iPhone5 to replace her 4S.

I find the user interface less than ideal. I guess I am not an iOS guy.

The battery life is PATHETIC. I have to charge the the thing 2x a day.

And before you ask, that is with Bluetooth and Wifi off. Most apps closed, and
screen brightness at 30%.

Easily one of the very worst cell phones I have ever had. This is a lifestyle product,
not a serious communication tool.:eek:

Sorry to hear Andre. However if the phone is truly defective and I bet there is something wrong it is still under warranty. Get your wife to make an appointment at the Genius bar at an Apple store and demand they replace it. I bet they will

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Sorry to hear Andre. However if the phone is truly defective and I bet there is something wrong it is still under warranty. Get your wife to make an appointment at the Genius bar at an Apple store and demand they replace it. I bet they will

Steve, I have spent many hours on the iPhone forums. This is par for the course. The biggest culprit is the LTE network.

To be honest, with the same LTE network I don't know if I will do much better with the new Droid.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Andre, I'm at a complete loss. I charge my iPhone 5 overnight, even though it seems to reach full charge in about 1 hour, and when I come home after work, say around 7:00 p.m., I've got at least 80% charge left.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre, I'm at a complete loss. I charge my iPhone 5 overnight, even though it seems to reach full charge in about 1 hour, and when I come home after work, say around 7:00 p.m., I've got at least 80% charge left.

Are you on Verizon? Does the phone sit idle during most of the day?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Andre, at this point it's would seem pretty obvious, at least to me, that either you have a faulty phone ( which is very possible) or you have some kind of setting that is incorrect. As Steve and I have suggested, a trip to the Genius Bar is warranted.
OTOH, If you are simply NOT interested in what an iphone can do and are looking for another phone ( nothing wrong in that) then I'm sure your lucky wife will love her new phone.:D

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I don't know about the 5, but i use a 4 for business, and am a very heavy email user. It does burn through battery power way faster than my old blackberry but I can still get a full day's useage out of it, using the phone, plus ALOT of email. I do find typing on its small virtual keyboard a total pain, but after using a Motorola Droid with slider keyboard for a few months, I gave up, and went back to iPhone. Not out of great love for Apple (though I like their design), but because it was simple to use. The Droid, at least with the additional steps needed for secure email through my firm's institutional server, took far more steps, and was really a pain to operate. The lesser of evils, I suppose, pushed me back to iPhone. The best Apple device, overall that i have, has got to be the iPad though. Even though it has limitations, it is a brilliant product.
PS- my biggest gripe with iPhone is that there is no external beacon on the device to show you have a new message. You have to open the phone to check it. At least with blackberry, you could see at a glance without operating it, whether you had anything new. That's a feature that iPhone needs, for email messages. (Perhaps it has to do with the way our institutional server hooks up to it, I don't know- I do get a screen message for new texts and for certain other kinds of message alerts from places like ebay, but for email, I have to unlock and open the phone to see if there is anything new).

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre, at this point it's would seem pretty obvious, at least to me, that either you have a faulty phone ( which is very possible) or you have some kind of setting that is incorrect. As Steve and I have suggested, a trip to the Genius Bar is warranted.
OTOH, If you are simply NOT interested in what an iphone can do and are looking for another phone ( nothing wrong in that) then I'm sure your lucky wife will love her new phone.:D

My wife, who is pretty much an expert iPhone and iPad user checked my settings and find nothing unusual.

Beyond the battery I just don't gel with iOS. I am much more in tune with Android at this point.

But you are right, my wife will be happy with her new toy :p

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Andre, today I had a heavy usage day on my phone...three(3) hours of calls, opened over two hundred e.mails ( yes, i know that's crazy), entered twenty texts and sent four (4) large files of legal text. Battery at 30% and this after ten hours of usage.
IF your iphone is running out of juice by just idling with 30% brightness, then something is WRONG with the phone/battery. Oh, I forgot, I used Bluetooth for most of my calls:).

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
PS- my biggest gripe with iPhone is that there is no external beacon on the device to show you have a new message. You have to open the phone to check it. At least with blackberry, you could see at a glance without operating it, whether you had anything new. That's a feature that iPhone needs, for email messages. (Perhaps it has to do with the way our institutional server hooks up to it, I don't know- I do get a screen message for new texts and for certain other kinds of message alerts from places like ebay, but for email, I have to unlock and open the phone to see if there is anything new).

Bill

you obviously need a few lessons. Of course the iphone does all of those and better. Rather than a beacon alerting you you will get actual notifications even if your phone is locked.

Just go to "setting" then click on Notifications. Scroll down through each of the apps you want to be notified.Keep your Notification Center on and then choose your Alert Style. Keep Badge Icon On and Show Preview ON.

The more apps you choose notifications for will burn battery. I only choose email and text

Thats all there is to it

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
No wonder I'm burning through my battery ...I've got way too many app notifications on. Will change that right now!

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Congratulations on your decision to go for a Motorola RAZR M. That is probably the best budget smartphone on the market and easily out-specs the iP5 - larger screen, larger battery, and superior OS being the main selling features. The RAZR M comes with Motorola Smart Actions - learn to use these, and you can squeeze out even more battery life from your phone. I use something similar, called Tasker. These are my battery optimisations:

- Mobile data permanently turned off
- Phone automatically turns on mobile data every 15 minutes to check for push notifications then turns itself off.
- Mobile data automatically turned on when certain applications (e.g. email, Chrome, maps) are launched, then turns itself off afterwards.
- Wifi permanently turned off unless the phone knows I am at home (recognizes the mobile tower then starts polling to see if it detects my home network)
- GPS permanently turned off unless certain applications are launched
- Some programs automatically terminated if left running in the background for too long

Using these optimisations, my HTC with a 1830 mAh battery gets to the end of the day with 80% power remaining. Your RAZR M has a 2000 mAh battery and should do even better. In comparison, the iP5 has a 1400 mAh battery with no option to run these optimisations.

Good luck with it.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
- Some programs automatically terminated if left running in the background for too long

iOS does this by itself. No need to futz around the OS to do it.
They're actually not terminated, just put to rest in a "frozen" state.

alexandre

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Bill

you obviously need a few lessons. Of course the iphone does all of those and better. Rather than a beacon alerting you you will get actual notifications even if your phone is locked.

Just go to "setting" then click on Notifications. Scroll down through each of the apps you want to be notified.Keep your Notification Center on and then choose your Alert Style. Keep Badge Icon On and Show Preview ON.

The more apps you choose notifications for will burn battery. I only choose email and text

Thats all there is to it
It's a visual alert? I know you can do a audible one, but that's not helpful, i need to know after the message has been sent at a glance. If it does a visual without having to unlock the phone, it's worse than my being a bad student, i'm a dummy!

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
PS just did it, turned off some that i could care less about, but did turn on the email badge alert, let me see how it works. Thanks Steve- don't these disappear eventually or do they stay there until you unlock the phone?
Ok saw the preview and locked mode, you are right, i'm an idiot. All set!

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
It's a visual alert? I know you can do a audible one, but that's not helpful, i need to know after the message has been sent at a glance. If it does a visual without having to unlock the phone, it's worse than my being a bad student, i'm a dummy!

Just what Steve said -- a visual alert and you can choose what apps generate them. Simple to setup. My job requires that my phone's in silent mode a lot so I rely on these alerts.

And just what Steve said above.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Isn't life easy with the iphone

well, i started with a blackberry and got very good at thumb typing, and was pretty accurate. The phone was mediocre, the browser sucked and you couldn't see attachments on emails- sort of a problem when you are a lawyer.
I switched to iPhone a while ago, after it became clear that blackberry was stuck in 2004 or whatever. And have continued to use it. I do have a hard time typing emails on it, i'm just not good with the virtual keyboard. That's why I switched for a while to the Droid, but came back to iPhone after it became apparent that the Droid functionality was very kludgey.
I do absolutely love the iPad but i use a wireless keyboard to type on it. And, use a 'Big Mac' for my desktop computer now, and like it as well. We're basically an Apple house these days, although I still get frustrated with some of the stuff on Apple. For example, I can't really edit documents on the iPad in track changes- the apps for marked changes in docs don't work very well in my experience, so i have to use the desktop or laptop for that. But, overall, I get a huge amount of functionality out of the iPad, and would say it is their best product, along with the phone.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Just what Steve said -- a visual alert and you can choose what apps generate them. Simple to setup. My job requires that my phone's in silent mode a lot so I rely on these alerts.

And just what Steve said above.
Yep, i did it and it was as easy as pie. thanks for boosting my IQ a couple points.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing