iOS 7: The Best Features Coming to Apple's Made-Over Software

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir, for some reason I'm getting the impression that you are a PC lover, LOL;):D:eek:
That's the wrong impression. I made my computer career on the Operating system that Mac is based on. See the book I wrote on this topic: http://www.amazon.com/Optimizing-UN...TF8&qid=1371660816&sr=8-3&keywords=majidimehr

I have never been a fan of Windows architecture. It started off ugly with letting apps access hardware directly so even with modern underpinnings of Windows NT (which copied Unix for the most part), it still is fragile. Its attempts to also be compatible with four decades of hardware that was never designed to be "plug-and-play" means that it just isn't a well-designed solution.

I however, am not religious about technical matters. What I want to run, runs on Windows and hence I use it. I also love the huge range of hardware I can pick from. As I noted, I lived on the Mac for a number of years. Indeed the above book was written on a Mac!

I play the "Windows guy" here as it makes for fun banter but please don't stereotype me :). My preferences for computing is deeply rooted in knowledge of hardware, software and capabilities and is not based on emotional need to defend one thing vs another. I am ruthless when one does something wrong. Indeed, if you read my book you see that even though I loved Unix, I was very critical of all the bad things in it just the same.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
You'll be surprised what kind of performance you'll get out of a modern, Intel Mac.

alexandre

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Because apparently you've had a bad experience many years ago, and went to Windows-based PCs. Nothing wrong with that, if that's what you need. I just think that, if you looked at a modern Mac, you'd see they're far from the junk that pre-Jobs Apple was peddling.

alexandre

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Because apparently you've had a bad experience many years ago, and went to Windows-based PCs. Nothing wrong with that, if that's what you need. I just think that, if you looked at a modern Mac, you'd see they're far from the junk that pre-Jobs Apple was peddling.
I ask again why you keep thinking of these positions on my behalf. Where did I say they are Junk??? We can't have this discussion without polarizing the other guy's views?

It seems that you are saying that one either has to be in love with Apple or else, its mortal enemy. Is this it?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I ask again why you keep thinking of these positions on my behalf. Where did I say they are Junk??? We can't have this discussion without polarizing the other guy's views?

It seems that you are saying that one either has to be in love with Apple or else, its mortal enemy. Is this it?

You're reading far too much into it.
All I know is that you had an experience many years ago that was unsatisfactory. And all I'm saying is that, if you took the time to look at it again, you might be pleasantly surprised. That's all I said.
*I* said they're junk, because I can relate to your past experience. I was there, buying and using that junk :) Stop being on the defensive, man! You're not the enemy, nobody is. It's all a matter of experiences, and the choices we derive from them.
I've always had bad experiences with Windows PCs, yet I still keep giving them a go, from time to time. Keeps things sane, you know...

alexandre

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
There are an equal number or more positive impressions about iOS7 than negative out there among people who haven't used it yet.

Good news for Android 4 (all versions), as of Mar '13 after being released in 2011, it is finally the majority operating system on Android phones at 45%. Android 2 is at 44%.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You're reading far too much into it.
All I know is that you had an experience many years ago that was unsatisfactory. And all I'm saying is that, if you took the time to look at it again, you might be pleasantly surprised. That's all I said.
Once more you are putting words in my mouth by saying my "experience was unsatisfactory" and that I have not looked at it recently. Here was the specific exchange:

You: "There's a parallel here to the MacOS x Windows past. Microsoft was all too quick to add the kitchen sink to its OS, while dragging its performance down, and requiring beefier machines (and thus giving Intel incentive to create faster processors --- see, not such a bad thing). MacOS on the other hand frequently got FASTER between revisions, on the same harder."

Implication is that Apple cares about performance and Microsoft not. I acknowledged that Microsoft has made such mistakes and so has Apple:

"True of Vista that was a disaster...I have not used a Mac computer for years. But still remember the fiasco decisions they made. Remember when they switched from Motorola CPUs to PowerPC and *emulated* a ton of the old OS code including networking? Who has heard of emulating the OS code instead of recompiling it for the new CPU??? That was when I gave up and switched back to Windows and could not believe the huge performance boost. And oh, Apple had to switch CPUs yet again to X86 CPU which Windows used. So it is not all peachy there."

Clearly they no longer use an IBM processor and that problem is in the past. So the connotation that I am somehow holding that against Apple's current products or that they are junk now, is what you are over-reading into my response, not the other way around. Your position is very clear: "amir you are not current with the Mac. you need to fix that by looking at it again." There is nothing to fix there. I didn't tell you I am not using the Mac because of performance. Just a couple of months ago I bough a Retina Mac for my son, and paid almost $2,300 for it. I spent time researching which one of their systems to get and zoomed in on that unit. As beautifully as their machines are built, it was very frustrating to only be stuck picking between a handful of systems. I have recently been searching to get a new laptop for myself and it is wonderful how there are dozens of configurations, sizes, etc. to pick from.

BTW, the system board failed in that Mac laptop just a month later causing him major grief in the middle of the job. If the unit was out of warranty, the cost would have bee around $600 or more than what you could buy a whole new Windows laptop for.

Back to your comment, correcting your mischaracterization of my knowledge and preferences is not "reading too much into something." It is what we do here. You say something that I don't agree with and I am going to correct it. If you are accepting that, then we can move on but you keep repeating the same mischaracterization and put fault back at my feet which I thought was hugely fair and balanced since I acknowledged the screw ups from Google by slowing down Android and Microsoft with Vista.

*I* said they're junk, because I can relate to your past experience. I was there, buying and using that junk :) Stop being on the defensive, man! You're not the enemy, nobody is. It's all a matter of experiences, and the choices we derive from them.
Then please act this way yourself. You seem to be heavily bothered by comments Keith or I about anything related to Apple to the point where you are now reading faults into Apple that we did not even position that way. Everything you said in this post applies completely to you. Please read your own post and reflect on how it comes across and whether you are having fun with your fellow posters here or taking war-like stance related to anyone saying anything bad about Apple.

As an observer, I read Kieth's posts and he sure is ruthless about Apple's weaknesses and huge champion of alternatives. And the same time, he seems to be exceptionally well read. I pride myself in knowing a lot about computers and he absolutely is not posting non-sense. When he says something I disagree with, I comment on it but it is not common for him to be wrong. If I were you, I would let a bit of what he says sink in and not be so defensive about it. He is not your enemy to use your words. By being critical of the platform you use, and voicing that, you increase the chances that something will get done to fix whatever deficiencies there is. Watch how improvements came to the Map App situation when Apple fans stopped blessing everything Apple does wrong as a feature.

I've always had bad experiences with Windows PCs, yet I still keep giving them a go, from time to time. Keeps things sane, you know...
alexandre
Got it. Not here to convince you to use Windows. Just here to provide data we have on the world not being perfect always on the other side you know... :)

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I guess that's what I get for trying to help someone I don't know...
If you just told me you ARE familiar with current Apple hardware, that would've been enough.
Sorry, I will never address you directly any more on this board.

alexandre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing