Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I don't have a job. I've been working full time on audio gear since January. Just on the DAC stage at the moment. It's looking like chipless DSD with 100% discrete components in the signal path is going to be the winner. For amplification, Hypex Ncore output stages, with discrete Class A input stages.

Best of luck.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Acoustic imagery Atsah 500's are probably the best deal in audio amplification period at $1000 a piece as far as known commercial designs go. I can say this with confidence having the same parts they use in my possession for 6 months.

http://www.acousticimagery.com

I compared them paired with my Resonessence Mirus with a Devialet 400 setup, and it put it to absolute shame.
Have you heard the current Red Dragons? Very impressive and in the same pricing area.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Nope, you have it 100% right.
I recently had an informative discussion with a manufacturer's rep ( I won't be disclosing names here). The rep was upset because he had submitted his product to a reviewer with a lot of technical knowledge, but lacking in the following areas..1) his room was poorly set up and not optimized at all for sound, 2) His ancillary gear was far from resolving and nowhere near the SOTA. The reviewer gave the piece in question a 'luke warm' review for SQ. The rep was upset because he knew of the fact that the reviewer was not going to be able to really put his piece through its paces, and because he also realized that the reviewer's "luke warm" review was in the reviewer's mind a rave! However, the technical merits of the piece in question were highly lauded....which meant nothing to the rep; and rightly so IMO.

So if I understand correctly, the reviewer had bona fide technical expertise, maybe even an engineer, but had a poorly set up system,
in a room not optimized for audio. I will give him a pass on ancillary gear, since that may be a matter of taste and budget. But bad component matching is a red flag.
The review was essentially bunk from a subjective view because the product was not set up and used properly.

The worst part of it is did not serve the reader. The conclusion was, technical merits "great", sound "ok".
So how many audiophiles are going to audition or buy this product based on just the fact the technical merits were great?

I will take a review by someone who knows how to properly set up a system to the room, match gear correctly, and understands
the nuances of synergy over some propeller head who can't do such as noted with all his "technical knowledge", he knew didley squat about setting up a
hifi system.

This is story is not unusual.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Davey did this unnamed rep know these shortcomings of the reviewer prior to submitting his product for review?

Nope, you have it 100% right.
I recently had an informative discussion with a manufacturer's rep ( I won't be disclosing names here). The rep was upset because he had submitted his product to a reviewer with a lot of technical knowledge, but lacking in the following areas..1) his room was poorly set up and not optimized at all for sound, 2) His ancillary gear was far from resolving and nowhere near the SOTA. The reviewer gave the piece in question a 'luke warm' review for SQ. The rep was upset because he knew of the fact that the reviewer was not going to be able to really put his piece through its paces, and because he also realized that the reviewer's "luke warm" review was in the reviewer's mind a rave! However, the technical merits of the piece in question were highly lauded....which meant nothing to the rep; and rightly so IMO.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The NC500 modules with LM4562 based input buffers. It uses the 1 of the same SMPS1200A700 supplies the Mola Mola Kaluga uses per channel!!! Seriously these monoblocks offer 90% of the performance of the Mola Mola Kaluga's, for $1000 a piece. No BS.

Pair with this DAC and you have a Devialet 400 killer for $5000.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?19059-Resonessence-Labs-Mirus-For-Sale&highlight=Mirus

I'm leaning towards using 2 NC500 per channel, one for low bass (<90 Hz or so) and one for midwoofers (<400 Hz) with DSP to tie them together and offer a bunch of preset bass curves to fit the room. I might get the modules and implement my own input but the AI amps are pretty nice, for lower frequencies I think it should work great. I talked to AI and I can get the amps without a case for a very reasonable price. Those Sonic Imagery opamps look pretty good for the purpose too...

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I am building a pair of mono amps using the UcD400HG modules but with linear power supplies.

Why are you deciding to go with linear supplies rather than the Hypex SMPS's? I do understand some manufacturers such as Auralic, have gone this route, but in reality it was only to make the amp heavier, and differentiate their product in the market place. I would consider using the Hypex SMPS400. Or at the very least, compare it to your linear supply before making the final decision.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Have you heard the current Red Dragons? Very impressive and in the same pricing area.

No haven't compared. But it would be a tall order to expect a $2000 amp to compare with the Atash 500's.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I'm leaning towards using 2 NC500 per channel, one for low bass (<90 Hz or so) and one for midwoofers (<400 Hz) with DSP to tie them together and offer a bunch of preset bass curves to fit the room. I might get the modules and implement my own input but the AI amps are pretty nice, for lower frequencies I think it should work great. I talked to AI and I can get the amps without a case for a very reasonable price. Those Sonic Imagery opamps look pretty good for the purpose too...

Nice

Last edited:

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
I like big transformers and capacitors. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why are you deciding to go with linear supplies rather than the Hypex SMPS's? I do understand some manufacturers such as Auralic, have gone this route, but in reality it was only to make the amp heavier, and differentiate their product in the market place. I would consider using the Hypex SMPS400. Or at the very least, compare it to your linear supply before making the final decision.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I would suggest following the thread on Diyaudio. There's a fellow on there by the name of "Boggit" who I have convinced into offering an NC500 based commercial amp based on discrete input buffers that can be tweaked to ones tastes.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/190434-hypex-ncore-917.html

This is looking like it could turn out being a revelation in the world of budget amplification.

If you want a crazy good deal check out the discontinued Crown XLS amps. For a couple hundred bucks they are ridiculously good. Not as good as a well-built NCore or other "audiophile" amp, but they are way better than you'd think and perfect for subwoofer use with a built-in 24 dB DSP based crossover. The stock binding posts and RCAs are pretty bad though, if you use XLR and Speakons you'll get much better sound. I threw in some Pomona tellurium copper posts which made a big difference. If $2k is way too much money for someone these are a no-brainer.

Here's one, price used to be $199 though...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...0u37YaAu9U8P8HAQ&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&Q=&A=details

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I like big transformers and capacitors. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes they do offer that real American "bigger and heavier is better" appeal, but in the real world, you simply won't beat the Hypex SMPS power supplies for their amp modules. This is why Bel Canto uses them for their "cost no object" $50000 black system.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Last edited:

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Maybe my old school high current reserves with lots of capacitance thinking is not in the norm for today's amps. I will be using these on the bass sections of the VR5 in place of the A21.

Yes they do offer that real American "bigger and heavier is better" appeal, but in the real world, you simply won't beat the Hypex SMPS power supplies for their amp modules. This is why Bel Canto uses them for their "cost no object" $50000 black system.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Davey did this unnamed rep know these shortcomings of the reviewer prior to submitting his product for review?

The rep had an inkling that this was going to be the case. I don't think he was that surprised when he did the set-up of the product at the reviewer's home. However, I don't think he expected what he got when the review was released.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Is it the norm for reviewers to publish a review without giving the manufacturer a preview? I would rather have no review than a bad or mediocre one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing