Introducing Olympus & Olympus I/O - A new perspective on modern music playback

Olympus launch. Cover P1.jpg

For those who just started reading up on Olympus, Olympus I/O, and XDMI, please note that all information in this thread has been summarized in a single PDF document that can be downloaded from the Taiko Website.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/taiko-audio-downloads

The document is frequently updated.

Scroll down to the 'XDMI, Olympus Music Server, Olympus I/O' section and click 'XDMI, Olympus, Olympus I/O Product Introduction & FAQ' to download the latest version.

Good morning WBF!​

We are introducing the culmination of close to 4 years of research and development. As a bona fide IT/tech nerd with a passion for music, I have always been intrigued by the potential of leveraging the most modern of technologies in order to create a better music playback experience. This, amongst others, led to the creation of our popular, perhaps even revolutionary, Extreme music server 5 years ago, which we have been steadily improving and updating with new technologies throughout its life cycle. Today I feel we can safely claim it's holding its ground against the onslaught of new server releases from other companies, and we are committed to keep improving it for years to come.

We are introducing a new server model called the Olympus. Hierarchically, it positions itself above the Extreme. It does provide quite a different music experience than the Extreme, or any other server I've heard, for that matter. Conventional audiophile descriptions such as sound staging, dynamics, color palette, etc, fall short to describe this difference. It does not sound digital or analog, I would be inclined to describe it as coming closer to the intended (or unintended) performance of the recording engineer.

Committed to keeping the Extreme as current as possible, we are introducing a second product called the Olympus I/O. This is an external upgrade to the Extreme containing a significant part of the Olympus technology, allowing it to come near, though not entirely at, Olympus performance levels. The Olympus I/O can even be added to the Olympus itself to elevate its performance even further, though not as dramatic an uplift as adding it to the Extreme. Consider it the proverbial "cherry on top".

Last edited by a moderator:
Why can’t one have an XDMI in slot 3 and USB in slot 5?

You're right, we can have the USB card in slot 5.

But in that case, there's no storage available.

Which means that storage will have to be in a NAS or a USB drive connected to the Taiko Router.

But yes, we can have both.

Reactions: dminches
I just listening a bit to Roon again for the first time in months -- both build 1353 and updated to build 1407. I was a little surprised at how stark the difference is with Xdms being more organic and real sounding. Roon sounds cheap and artificial by comparison and seems to have a slight grit riding on the signal.

Though I trust assurances that Roon with Olympus/xdmi will be an upgrade, I'll be counting the days to get Xdms back!
Definite different sound profile, exactly why I suggested transitioning to Roon now seeing that XDMS will be absent for a while. As you reference, I hope XDMI/Roon is a different animal....

Reactions: DW101, wil and VPN
There is a very comprehensive pdf document at the downloads section of the Taiko Audio website:

Contained in that document is the following:

Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 14.25.56.png

Unless this has been rendered obsolete already by rapidly moving changes to the Olympus platform, it shows clearly that XDMI and USB can be available at the same time in the Olympus.

Elsewhere in this same document it states that slot 4 heating concerns are really only applicable if it is desired to mount the XDMI/analogue out in slot 4, because of the increased current draw of the DAC output stage.

The pdf is worth reading, because it answers many of the questions that seem to keep coming up. . .

Steve Z

Last edited:
Unless this has been rendered obsolete already by rapidly moving changes to the Olympus platform, it shows clearly that XDMI and USB can be available at the same time in the Olympus.
Hi Steve,

When I drew this diagram, which was then added to the documentation, Emile hadn't mentioned the problem of slot 4 having to remain free for ventilation.

This diagram remains correct if, and only if, we don't plan to use the XDMI/DAC or opt for an Olympus Server configuration with no storage space.

But as it is the diagram may lead to some confusion...

Last edited:
Reactions: oldmustang
Hi Steve,

When I drew this diagram, which was then added to the documentation, Emile hadn't mentioned the problem of slot 4 having to remain free for ventilation.

This diagram remains correct if, and only if, we don't plan to use the XDMI/DAC or opt for an Olympus Server configuration with no storage space.

But as it is the diagram may lead to some confusion...
Hi Tom,

There is a lot going on and a lot of moving parts to the Olympus. In an earlier post Emile answers a question (actually, posed by you!) about using USB and the slot 4 heating "problem".

Steve

Reactions: Steve Williams
Good evening Steve :)

If one orders the Olympus Server and the Olympus I/O one can have both cards: USB and XDMI.

The USB adapter will be placed in the Olympus Server and the XDMI interface will be placed in the Olympus I/O.

That's what I ordered.

I don't expect to use the USB card very much, but I could do some comparisons. And, in my context, it will be handy at the beginning.

Cheers,

Thomas
Hi Thomas. I think you're correct but I seem to remember Emile with his schematics making his case and showing what XDMI does and asked everyone why ever use USB when you have XDMI. My plan is to only use XDMI native

Currently rate limiting in chassis manufacturing is actually not CNC machining capacity but "waste management".

Each Olympus Server produces a full crate of Aluminium waste, 130 kg in Aluminium chips. This waste is recycled of course but it's a considerable volume and we need to switch buckets for every Olympus we produce which limits nigh time machining.

If we solve this "minor" issue we can increase output.

View attachment 128083
I need LOTS OF aluminium, if I could melt that and build Horizons out of it, wouldn't it BE COOL??! The second derivative of the Olympus.

Apologies for the lack of updates, we've literally been working around the clock here to build the first Olympus servers.

The native XDMI link for Lampizator is operational and verified since last nigh as well, just in time to be able to demonstrate it at the Munich show, we literally have only hours left before we need to hit the road!

The Olympus will be shown in the following rooms:

F111 - A4.1
Aries Cerat, Contendo II loudspeakers and more
XDMI AES/EBU to the Homerus DAC

E225 - A4.2:
Wilson Benesch Omnium / IGx Infrasonic generator
Ypsilon DAC/Amplifiers
Stage III Concepts cabling
XDMI AES/EBU to the Ypsilon DAC

G15 - Halle 2:
System details here: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...ctionality-the-next-horizon.38709/post-965941
XDMI Native to the Lampizator Poseidon DAC

E214 - A4.2:
Alsyvox Caravaggio XX
Pilium amplifiers
Vyda cabling
Audio mass component support
XDMI Analogue out !

Alas we did not manage to finish a single I/O yet.

On the last photo you can see 2 binding posts for grounding purposes. I will tell you right now that things work differently with the Olympus in this area then you’re used too. We have only had negative effects from grounding, in all systems we tried so far. Grounding the Olympus only adds grain or veils here.

The most likely explanation is the Olympus has evolved to being fully battery powered. The only function of the AC-DC power supply is to charge the battery cells.

But YMMV so here’s the explanation for the 2 grounding posts. Looking at the back the left grounding post grounds the chassis which floats by default. The right binding post connects to the charger AC-DC power supply, which is grounded through the IEC inlet ground pin aswell, which is a safety requirement, but the entire AC/DC charger supply does not connect to the rest of the Olympus chassis, it truly floats.

Hence if you want to experiment with grounding, connecting your ground tweak of choice to the ac-dc supply ground will have some sort of effect which may be positive in your system / to your ears. However grounding the chassis, well let’s say I’m looking forward to your experiences with this!

Apologies for the lack of updates, we've literally been working around the clock here to build the first Olympus servers.

The native XDMI link for Lampizator is operational and verified since last nigh as well, just in time to be able to demonstrate it at the Munich show, we literally have only hours left before we need to hit the road!

The Olympus will be shown in the following rooms:

F111 - A4.1
Aries Cerat, Contendo II loudspeakers and more
XDMI AES/EBU to the Homerus DAC

E225 - A4.2:
Wilson Benesch Omnium / IGx Infrasonic generator
Ypsilon DAC/Amplifiers
Stage III Concepts cabling
XDMI AES/EBU to the Ypsilon DAC

G15 - Halle 2:
System details here: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...ctionality-the-next-horizon.38709/post-965941
XDMI Native to the Lampizator Poseidon DAC

E214 - A4.2:
Alsyvox Caravaggio XX
Pilium amplifiers
Vyda cabling
Audio mass component support
XDMI Analogue out !

Alas we did not manage to finish a single I/O yet.
My prediction Emile is that your rooms will have lines waiting out the doors as people from all around the globe will be patiently awaiting an audition of the latest fruits of your labor. Kudos and best of luck.You and your wonderful company are so so well appreciated. We are are all patiently awaiting shipments of such fruits in the coming weeks

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing