Introducing Olympus & Olympus I/O - A new perspective on modern music playback

Olympus launch. Cover P1.jpg

For those who just started reading up on Olympus, Olympus I/O, and XDMI, please note that all information in this thread has been summarized in a single PDF document that can be downloaded from the Taiko Website.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/taiko-audio-downloads

The document is frequently updated.

Scroll down to the 'XDMI, Olympus Music Server, Olympus I/O' section and click 'XDMI, Olympus, Olympus I/O Product Introduction & FAQ' to download the latest version.

Good morning WBF!​

We are introducing the culmination of close to 4 years of research and development. As a bona fide IT/tech nerd with a passion for music, I have always been intrigued by the potential of leveraging the most modern of technologies in order to create a better music playback experience. This, amongst others, led to the creation of our popular, perhaps even revolutionary, Extreme music server 5 years ago, which we have been steadily improving and updating with new technologies throughout its life cycle. Today I feel we can safely claim it's holding its ground against the onslaught of new server releases from other companies, and we are committed to keep improving it for years to come.

We are introducing a new server model called the Olympus. Hierarchically, it positions itself above the Extreme. It does provide quite a different music experience than the Extreme, or any other server I've heard, for that matter. Conventional audiophile descriptions such as sound staging, dynamics, color palette, etc, fall short to describe this difference. It does not sound digital or analog, I would be inclined to describe it as coming closer to the intended (or unintended) performance of the recording engineer.

Committed to keeping the Extreme as current as possible, we are introducing a second product called the Olympus I/O. This is an external upgrade to the Extreme containing a significant part of the Olympus technology, allowing it to come near, though not entirely at, Olympus performance levels. The Olympus I/O can even be added to the Olympus itself to elevate its performance even further, though not as dramatic an uplift as adding it to the Extreme. Consider it the proverbial "cherry on top".

Last edited by a moderator:
One other thing cat6man that it was.you and so many alpha testers that helped the Taiko coders find the errors and help guide everyone to the point now we are no longer alpha but beta testers

like you XDMS is my preference but I have no issues with members preferring Roon but when out of the air someone utters surely by now they can at least give us a progress bar and yet has never once given input in the Discord test channel let alone have some basic understanding of the complexity of the project which in the end will also benefit the SQ of Roon IMHO is way out of line Just my $0.02
Interesting. Since when is XDMS in Beta, because it is the first news I have.

Well, will wonders never cease? The Roon goons had scolded us all for years about how folder view was a silly thing, too limiting to even bother with. That lacking was my biggest functional complaint about their UI. That's really good news!
Just trying to put the last nail in JRiver’s coffin.

Is there a consensus that, as Catman reports, that local .Wav files are significantly better sounding than local .flac files? I have been streaming 100% (all .flac I presume) since getting the Extreme. When I've compared local/streaming a few times, I haven't found one better than the other.

And so, I've just kept on streaming. I tend to be exploring new music all the time and just haven't felt the need, or wanted to devote the time, to start downloading files onto the drive. (though I would like to support the creators by actually buying the music).

Have others found .Wav files to be much better than .flac?

Also, I wonder how this will play out with the Olympus/XDMI, as Emile has said (iirc) that that combination has brought streaming to at least equal sq relative to local files?

@cat6man graciously sent me some files with versions in .wav and .flac which I listened to at the time but did not report back (it seems I'm on a different continent every month). Some folks report obvious differences, but I did not find that to be the case for me. I'll give it another whirl when I get home again. Honestly, everything sounds so good these days it's an embarrassment of riches.

Is there a consensus that, as Catman reports, that local .Wav files are significantly better sounding than local .flac files? I have been streaming 100% (all .flac I presume) since getting the Extreme. When I've compared local/streaming a few times, I haven't found one better than the other.

And so, I've just kept on streaming. I tend to be exploring new music all the time and just haven't felt the need, or wanted to devote the time, to start downloading files onto the drive. (though I would like to support the creators by actually buying the music).

Also, I wonder how this will play out with the Olympus/XDMI, as Emile has said (iirc) that that combination has brought streaming to at least equal sq relative to local files?

"Consensus"? You must be new here. :D

I have listened to flacs and wavs of the same file sets
and did not hear a significant difference and definitely not enough to convert everything to wav. However, I don't doubt that others hear a difference.

Know way I could tell the difference. Best way is if you have someone who can play both, without you knowing see if can ascertain the difference...

@cat6man graciously sent me some files with versions in .wav and .flac which I listened to at the time but did not report back (it seems I'm on a different continent every month). Some folks report obvious differences, but I did not find that to be the case for me. I'll give it another whirl when I get home again. Honestly, everything sounds so good these days it's an embarrassment of riches.
I got the same files from Marty and I did feel the .wav was not that noticeably better but my understanding is Marty is using a different tool I converting to .wav which has made the huge sonic improvement. I know Ed visited Marty last week and Ed reports that he was stunned as to how much better Marty's .wav files sounded in comparison to Flac , so much so that there are some plans to delve further into this and make it a reality for XDMS. Right now as I understand it in Qobuz the files are converted to .wav and that is what we hear presently BUT Marty is converting using a different tool which has caught the interest of Ed so thanks to cat6man it seems there we can all look forward to this being implemented

He sent me some files also, probably the same ones. (I might of forgotten to thank him so thank you cat6man) For me the .wav files sounded more polite, a bit smooth/processed. Almost like the micro-details were missing.

I got the same files from Marty and I did feel the .wav was not that noticeably better but my understanding is Marty is using a different tool I converting to .wav which has made the huge sonic improvement. I know Ed visited Marty last week and Ed reports that he was stunned as to how much better Marty's .wav files sounded in comparison to Flac , so much so that there are some plans to delve further into this and make it a reality for XDMS. Right now as I understand it in Qobuz the files are converted to .wav and that is what we hear presently BUT Marty is converting using a different tool which has caught the interest of Ed so thanks to cat6man it seems there we can all look forward to this being implemented

What tool? @cat6man

I for one have not found a significant difference between streamed .flac and stored .wav. with my Extreme. So I haven't stressed about it -- I much rather would listen to music than listen to formats.

Now, when I had another brand of streamer that also had an onboard drive for ripping CDs and which offered a choice of either .flac or .wav for the ripped file output, I much preferred .wav. Generally for all my ripping I've used dBpoweramp and output as .aiff.

Steve Z

I got the same files from Marty and I did feel the .wav was not that noticeably better but my understanding is Marty is using a different tool in converting to .wav which has made the huge sonic improvement. I know Ed visited Marty last week and Ed reports that he was stunned as to how much better Marty's .wav files sounded in comparison to Flac , so much so that there are some plans to delve further into this and make it a reality for XDMS. Right now as I understand it in Qobuz the files are converted to .wav and that is what we hear presently BUT Marty is converting using a different tool which has caught the interest of Ed so thanks to cat6man it seems there we can all look forward to this being implemented
Is Marty using PGGB?

I for one have not found a significant difference between streamed .flac and stored .wav. with my Extreme. So I haven't stressed about it -- I much rather would listen to music than listen to formats.

Now, when I had another brand of streamer that also had an onboard drive for ripping CDs and which offered a choice of either .flac or .wav for the ripped file output, I much preferred .wav. Generally for all my ripping I've used dBpoweramp and output as .aiff.

Steve Z
The reality is that only Marty and his system demonstrate the difference. Ed visited Marty on Wed and confirmed that wav was truly spectacular and much better than FLAC. We undergo conversion to wav in Qobuz and even thst was done all of us heard the difference. However Marty’s was so impressive that it took Ed by complete surprise , so much so that he intends to delve into this with the hope that this can be implemented in XDMS. So once again kudos to cat6man. I know what Marty is using but I will leave it to him to post

Reactions: ctydwn and cat6man

Steve Z

consensus? here??????

let me summarize a bit (even though this is the olympus/wrong thread, right?).

ed was kind enough to drop by on monday to meet, talk deep audio techno geek, and listen to my system.

this is the music we played

there are 3 directories, flac (the original files), wav-db (converted to wav by dbpoweramp) and wav-ff (converted to wav by ffmpeg). ed and i only listened to flac and wav-db (more on this later). in every case, ed and audio-bud carl were able to correctly identify the wav vs. flac file in the first 5-10 seconds of each track (hopefully confirming that i am not crazy).

setup: local files on extreme with jan11 backend software, latest android client app, router, switch and power distributor fed by battery power. usb out of extreme to sotm usb-aes/ebu converter (with superclock option, also battery powered), aes/ebu out to totaldac reclocker, aes/ebu output to totaldac triunity dac, balanced out to passlabs preamp, ayon triton monoblocks in triode mode, Nola metrogrande speakers.

[warning: nerd talk follows]

now, the next day ed and i were chatting and he mentioned that christian had been listening to some downloads and had noticed a difference between files, which got us wondering. the extreme uses ffmpeg to decode flac to wav before playback while i was using files pre-converted to WAV. perhaps the difference in sound, so obvious here, was the extra processing (more processing ==> more noise) from the file conversion.

a good way to test this hypothesis was to use ffmpeg offline to convert flac to wav.
on my linux pc (no windows or apple here), this was simple:

#!/bin/bash

# This script converts all .flac files in a directory to .wav using ffmpeg
# If ffmpeg is not installed run:
# sudo apt update
# sudo apt install ffmpeg

# Create a new folder for converted files
mkdir wav
# For each file in .flac files directory
for f in *.flac
do
# Convert to .wav keeping the same file name
ffmpeg -i $f ./wav/$(basename -- "$f" .flac).wav
done
@gboisvert

so, after creating the files in subdirectory wav-ff, i compared the wav-db with the wav-ff files.
the result was completely the opposite of what i'd expected, as the wav-db files sounded much
better than the wav-ff files. yes, two different WAV files sounded different, with the wav-ff file being much closer to the
original flac file. therefore, it seems to me that the structure of the wav files created by the converter
matters (a lot) and the degradation of flac may be due to the flac to wav conversion and/or wav file structure, even when that conversion is done offline! exactly the opposite of what i had hypothesized, which is a good reason to test ones assumptions even when you're sure (as i was) of the outcome.

a little web research (see wikipedia for WAV RIFF discussion) shows that the definition of wav file structures is not
the most well-defined standard out there. running mediainfo in detailed mode shows the RIFF structure of the wav-db
and wav-ff files are not identical. exactly what the cause may be consitutes a level of detail i'd love to know but don't have the
patience or skill to pursue further. perhaps this is due to the way the WAV file is packaged?

one of the links in the wikipedia article led me to this, which i excerpt here:

[excerpt starts]
Another way of storing waveform data
So, you're thinking "This WAVE format isn't that bad. It seems to make sense and there aren't all that many inconsistencies, duplications, and inefficiencies". You fool! We're just getting started with our first excursion into unnecessary inconsistencies, duplications, and inefficiency.

Sure, countless brain-damaged programmers have inflicted literally dozens of compressed data formats upon the Data chunk, but apparently someone felt that even this wasn't enough to make your life difficult in trying to support WAVE files. No, some half-wit decided that it would be a good idea to screw around with storing waveform data in something other than one Data chunk. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

For some god-forsaken reason, someone came up with the idea of using an imbedded IFF List inside of the WAVE file. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! And this "Wave List" would contain multiple 'data' and 'slnt' chunks. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! The Type ID for this List is 'wavl'.

I strongly suggest that you refuse to support any WAVE file that exhibits this Wave List nonsense. There's no need for it, and hopefully, the misguided programmer who conjured it up will be embarrassed into hanging his head in shame when nobody agrees to support his foolishness. Just say "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"
[excerpt ends]

i don't know if this specific issue is at play here (i certainly have no evidence that it does), but i so enjoyed reading this guy's passion on the subject.

[end techno geek]

so what have i concluded:
1. in my system, WAV files created by dbpoweramp vastly outperform flac files and WAV files created by ffmpeg.
2. since the extreme is using ffmpeg to decode flac (and therefore all current streaming options), there is great potential to improve the sound of streaming sources, at least in my system. as i told ed, "maybe then i'll be able to tolerate streaming." :cool:
3. why doesn't everyone hear what ed, carl and i heard? how could this be system dependent? i trust the ears of many of the knowledgable folks here, but i am at a loss to understand why/how this large difference in SQ is perceived differently. but good things should come out of a deeper understanding.
4. does this change with other than 16/44 red book files? i don't know but will test that (now that i've thought of it).
5. perhaps your system have better/cleaner power or cables or ......?

have a good weekend everyone.

marty (aka cat6man)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing