Introducing My System

Isn't the Mingus lower in hierarchy to the Coltrane 3 ? The Momento being the upward move... what am I missing?
This particular model of the Mingus series is above Coltrane 3, but below Momento.

Hey guys. Some videos are up on my channel.

Hey guys. Some videos are up on my channel.

Not wanting to sound too harsh but my observations:
1) The voice is somewhat recessed and with a hollow echo sound
2) The tonal register of the voice and guitar are shifted downward and high percussion is muted
3) Horns are set further back in the soundstage...they should be more present
4) The above has the effect of sounding less transparent and somewhat veiled in the upper registers.
5) Bass has a good balance but I am not hearing as much texture on the bass synthesizer in this track as I know is there...this is probably related to the reticence in the highs as well.

This was all in comparison to the original recording that I found on YouTube. It's compressed but so is your video.

Would be perhaps worthwhile to listen with good headphones as I have done to hear what your system is doing vs. what the recording sounds like and then think of strategies to close the gap.

I heard the Mingus Septet in Munich (in two totally different systems) and it exhibited a similar reticence in the highs as what I am hearing on your videos.

Not wanting to sound too harsh but my observations:
1) The voice is somewhat recessed and with a hollow echo sound
2) The tonal register of the voice and guitar are shifted downward and high percussion is muted
3) Horns are set further back in the soundstage...they should be more present
4) The above has the effect of sounding less transparent and somewhat veiled in the upper registers.
5) Bass has a good balance but I am not hearing as much texture on the bass synthesizer in this track as I know is there...this is probably related to the reticence in the highs as well.

This was all in comparison to the original recording that I found on YouTube. It's compressed but so is your video.

Would be perhaps worthwhile to listen with good headphones as I have done to hear what your system is doing vs. what the recording sounds like and then think of strategies to close the gap.

I heard the Mingus Septet in Munich (in two totally different systems) and it exhibited a similar reticence in the highs as what I am hearing on your videos.
Thanks for the feedback. I mean, I very much disagree with the above, but I can't try and defend an iPhone recoding at the same time :)

Personal preferences aside, this is also the Qobuz recording from the original album which sounds different from the one I heard on the Marantz compilation, which is how some people know of this song. The Marantz recording is more forward definitely, don't know why. I like the other one precisely because it sounds less forward to me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I mean, I very much disagree with the above, but I can't try and defend an iPhone recoding at the same time :)

Personal preferences aside, this is also the Qobuz recording from the original album which sounds different from the one I heard on the Marantz compilation, which is how some people know of this song. The Marantz recording is more forward definitely, don't know why. I like the other one precisely because it sounds less forward to me.
I can only go by what you posted. I don’t know anything about a Marantz recording.

Having made a lot of my own recordings by phone I can say that what I am hearing is not the usual issues I hear with phone recordings.

I think you should be able to hear the significant differences heard in an A/B between the two recordings.

Don't worry Thindersnow, if there is a reason why it is worth publishing videos of your system it is reading the comments that come from them. Priceless!!!...

Perhaps it is time for an upgrade....of your recording device ?
On that video, there is also weird static/imbalance on the right channel (of your phone).

Perhaps it is time for an upgrade....of your recording device ?
On that video, there is also weird static/imbalance on the right channel (of your phone).
If only I’d invest 0,0001% in my recording gear as I do in my system :) Anyway, yeah, the iPhone is pretty banged up, but I don’t plan to make a career out of hi fi videos :)

Anyway, in other the Marten Isolators (i.e. Isoacoustic Gaia’s) are in place. Well, holy cow. Hearing these speakers now with the isolators, it’s clear that the whole floor was playing music along with my system with the “training wheels” in place :)

The difference is much more apparent than with the Coltrane 3. I guess a 300lbs. speaker does tend to resonate if not properly isolated :)

Here is a video to illustrate the difference… my iPhone personally sends apologies to everyone not happy with its mic‘s performance. Please be mindful of its feelings :)

Last edited:
Heya all!

With the isolators in place and the speakers in their final parking position, I thought I’d do a little experiment. I recorded the same song “Thanks to You” again, now in the final setup. Let’s see if you can hear the difference:

Before:

After:

Heya all!

With the isolators in place and the speakers in their final parking position, I thought I’d do a little experiment. I recorded the same song “Thanks to You” again, now in the final setup. Let’s see if you can hear the difference:

Before:

After:

Sounds pretty much the same to me.

Last edited:
they are quite different.
Indeed they are...actually I was quite surprised by the difference (in favor of second one)

Indeed they are...actually I was quite surprised by the difference (in favor of second one)
I agree. These speakers were bought to replace the Coltrane 3’s in the new (larger) listening space. Since I’m a few months away still from moving I put them in the current space.

That said, I was also surprised as to how much the hardwood floor was “singing with them” :) At the same time however it is in part understandable why 300lbs (130kg) per speaker and so many drivers (8 active and 8 passive in total for both speakers for bass) would make the space around them resonate so much.

The good news is that the result with the isolators is so significant that it in good part eliminates the difference between the impact that Coltrane 3 and Mingus Orchestra had on the space.

So much so that the Rel 31 is back on, covering just the very lowest freqs 20-30hz. The integration once the isolators were in place was pretty straightforward.

concrete differences even in the videos,
the second, felt more with focus,
more accurate and cleaner.

If only I’d invest 0,0001% in my recording gear as I do in my system :) Anyway, yeah, the iPhone is pretty banged up, but I don’t plan to make a career out of hi fi videos :)

Using your (broken?) phone as you are doing now defeats the purpose of publishing videos. You can simply get a USB microphone (Shure, for example), and continue using your phone with it.

Last edited:
Using your (broken?) phone as you are doing now defeats the purpose of publishing videos. You can simply get a USB microphone (Shure, for example), and continue using your phone with it.

since you did not hear differences with the phone like the others did, it doesn’t matter. Let’s not further derail the thread with the same topic discussed in the acoustically coupled video thread

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing