Insane Sonny Clark LP Price

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
$3,500? Whoa! And to think I got royally taking to task over at Canuck Audio Mart for trying to sell my Roxy Music-Avalon SACD for $275. I think I need to aim higher!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I own several of the original Blue Note pressings...not Cool Struttin', however:(. They are all very good recordings with great presence. I slightly prefer the Lexington Ave pressings to the 63rd St pressings.
RVG really was one of the very best engineers, IMO. If you have a chance to listen to his early work, it really is something to hear:cool:
I do agree that the price these LP's are now fetching seems a little steep:(. Problem is they are very hard to find these days and typically when you do, it usually looks like someone has walked over it with a steel boot:(

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Problem is they are very hard to find these days and typically when you do, it usually looks like someone has walked over it with a steel boot:(

So do you think that jazz collectors actually listened to their records while classical collectors played them once and put them on the shelf or classical collectors took better care of their records????

I agree with condition; it's rare to find a jazz LP in mint shape :( Walked on with a steel boot, played with a silver dollar on the headshell and stacked 10 high :(

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I snatched up the reissue copy of Cool Struttin' that Jazzdoc posted the link to awhile back and it is a low-numbered limited edition copy and it sounds great. I love this LP. I also bought Sonny's Crib and it is also very, very good.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Can't wait to see what this one goes for....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280738973706?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_995

Addendum:
And the winning bid is...

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Good luck getting that price for the mono.

For something that was probably folded down from the stereo recording?

Perhaps we should submit this one to the Leno Show for its regular sale or no sale eBay segment!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I'll take odds that the seller gets the $5k ask for the Jutta Hipp!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Both great LP's jazzdoc... if they are as good as the Seller claims, they should easily sell at these prices. Amazing to see these LP's in this kind of condition, my copy of 1550 is VG to VG- at best:(

Gary D

Jun 26, 2011
I truly think people have too much money you see these kind of prices all over Ebay now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220848609185?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

Time out is a classic but $366.00 for a 2 track is out of the question.I bought a 4 track copy at $8 a couple years back .It has everything the 2 track has less a smidgen of seperation maybe.If you play the above tape on anything but a studio deck you have just thrown money away.
Although there are deals if you search .

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Last edited:

Gary D

Jun 26, 2011
Hi Rich,
Were glad you bought that tape as it is really recorded well .London Phase 4 used a custom mixer 20 channel console that used 16 mikes .This tape and the opening track is great.

Ciao,
Gary

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Well the original Hank Mobley I listed earlier in the thread went for $5,600, so maybe the Lee Morgan is a 'bargain'?

mdabb

Jul 10, 2010
N.E. Ohio
The main reason people are paying these crazy prices for original Blue Note LP's have more to do owning a piece of music history rather than the belief that the sound quality is above current audiophile re-issues. Though some may say the originals do sound better.

The sound quality of RVG's (Rudy Van Gelder) work on these original Blue Note titles have been criticized by some folk as being far less superior by today's standards... and yes that may be true. Some of that obviously has to do with the technical limitations of the electronics in those days. But another reason for the sound on those Blue Notes... RVG was giving Alfred Lion the "flavor" he envisioned, which is the "Blue Note Flavor". Some get it, some don't. Some like it, and some don't.

How much would some people pay for a piece of Beethoven ??? Same applies here. Just as Beethoven is treasured a few hundred years later the same goes for Blue Note, and many artists that have recorded for Blue Note (and other record labels). Jazz itself is Americana history. It's a shame that so many Jazz artists that put out these great works of art never got the recognition they deserved for their contribution to America then and now simply due to the color of their skin.

Did you ever notice that there are so many old classical records out there in pristine condition, as if they were never even played... That's because people bought them for show. Behind closed doors people were listening to Jazz.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing