Independence Day: Resurgence Official Trailer #1 (2016) -

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I remember watching the first Independence Day. I happened to be in Rochester NY, and a friend took me to a local mall. While I found the movie to be quite irritating, what was really eye opening was the reaction of the audience:

"YEAH LETS GO KICK SOME ALIEN BUTT!!!"

... along with lots of whooping when the President said "let's make July 4th world independence day!"

I asked my friend, "Do Americans watch movies like this? In Australia we would all be quiet".

Well? Do you? :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
1996. Those were the days that movies had 'real' stories even in ridiculous action scenes, like Die Hard 1, real life stories yet you know McCain will never die, which went on to Die Hard 5. :D Going back to the 70s, we had 'realistic' disaster movies like Poseidon Adventure, Earthquake and Towering Inferno. Now we have Hunger Games, Divergent Trilogy, and so, even ID4-2 has gone the way of the 'unreal' and ridiculous. The Marvel and DC Comics has gone the 'crack your head to understand the plot' way. Point is to be entertained in any ridiculousness, but if one gets to fall asleep, one is not entertained the movie house way, one might just do it at home. :D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Yeah I remember too seeing the first ID4 in one of the Cineplex Theaters from a Northern Canadian city of British Columbia.
I convinced a girlfriend to come with me.
About half way in she left the theater and waited for me outside, in a beautiful summer evening of 1996 (twenty years ago).

It was loud, too loud.

Canadians aren't like Americans:

:D

And by the way, ID4 1 & 2 movies were directed by a German film director; Roland Emmerich.

Roland Emmerich (German: [??o?lant ??m???ç]; born November 10, 1955) is a German film director, screenwriter, and producer, widely known for his disaster films.

"Disaster films"? Lol, that's right; some were big time money makers, others total disasters. But his main style is "disaster movies".

Year | Film | Rotten Tomatoes - Metacritic (Overall)

• 1992 Universal Soldier ? 20% - 35/100
• 1994 Stargate ? 48% - 42/100
1996 Independence Day ? 60% - 59/100 (Box office: $817.4 million)
• 1998 Godzilla ? 16% - 32/100
• 2000 The Patriot ? 62% - 63/100
• 2004 The Day After Tomorrow ? 45% - 47/100
• 2008 10,000 BC ? 8% - 34/100
• 2009 2012 ? 39% - 49/100
• 2011 Anonymous ? 46% - 50/100
• 2013 White House Down ? 50% - 52/100
• 2015 Stonewall ? 9% - 30/100
2016 Independence Day: Resurgence ? Not available yet

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I remember watching the first Independence Day. I happened to be in Rochester NY, and a friend took me to a local mall. While I found the movie to be quite irritating, what was really eye opening was the reaction of the audience:

"YEAH LETS GO KICK SOME ALIEN BUTT!!!"

... along with lots of whooping when the President said "let's make July 4th world independence day!"

I asked my friend, "Do Americans watch movies like this? In Australia we would all be quiet".

Well? Do you? :)

Funny you should say that.

The audiences at the movie theater where I went to see this movie have always been very well behaved. No mobile phone distractions, very little talking, walking around, etc.

While I was watching this move there were a number of people who were worked up. I could hear one woman behind me who seemed to be ready to whup up on some aliens herself. There was definitely more crowd activity that I've seen before at that theater.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Even he could not have saved it IMO and its not even worth a rent. Perhaps when it's free :)

Agreed. Smith couldn't have saved this. If they could have ditched the first action sequence and instead developed how there seemed to be something missing in the defense strategy by using Goldblum and Gainsbourg instead at least some sense could have been made. Instead all we get is a string of lucky breaks. Total cop outs for the writers, all the way to the very end. Anybody catch the blatant rip off of Ender's Game too?

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Yet another movie with a washed out picture, where every scene seems to be in two-tones, the 'Teal-and-Amber' disease.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing