IMPORTANT WARNING ALERT! Audigon, my membership name has been hacked, check yours

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
UPS said it was dropped off at a carport. So, I am assuming fraud, as seller has not contacted me.

Scary stuff. Paypal is definitely insurance, but for 3% not cheap. I do a lot of high value transactions outside of paypal (or pay as gift) to save the fees. Didn't you notice immediately the package had the wrong final destination when you first checked the tracking #? Did it have the correct weight?

If indeed something was shipped and the guy in Utah was in on the scam, they'd be pretty stupid, because Paypal's fraud department can subpoena Fedex for the delivery address and pursue the recipient and sender for fraud. I once had a credit card stolen and used for a few $$$. When they arrested the thief we did not want to press charges, but the credit card company did anyway, and she ended up doing jailtime. These outfits don't joke around with $8K fraud cases.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
And I was so looking forward to my Hegel H30. Oh well, have to wait for the new Theta Prometheus, when Theta gets around to it.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
After my Hegel H30 deal fell through, I found a sweet deal on a A-gon demo 160 lbs. Magnus MA300. Did a little research on this American company that proudly puts on their products, "Made in California".;)

Sound Affair

Sep 10, 2012
Hi, My name is Stian M. Helland.
In the beginning of this thread Dev mentioned that I contacted him about a bank transfere. That I managed to do and I transfered 10000$ to this German hacker for a pair of Wilson Sasha speakers.
The thing is that this had happened before with the same speakers (exact same ad but with different user name), this time the speakers went for 12000$. The guy buying the speakers had contacted Audiogon and they just said they were sorry.
So all in all this hacker has at least cashed in 22000$ in a couple of monts. I have all the bank account information but it seems like I might as well just forget the money.
It seems quite stange that Audiogon haven`t done **** to prevent this from happening again.
Just one week after I bought the speakers the ad was posted again. This is when I found out that it was scam.
I contacted Audiogon and they suspended Dev`s account and said it was hijacked and that they were sorry. To me this seems to be a bit easy way of solving this case.
And one week after this the ad was posted again, I then made a new account on Audiogon and started communication with the guy. This time he had a different bank account in the same bank in germany.
I then contacted Audiogon and asked them to try and find out who it was, they just suspended the acount.
I am wondering what I should do about this??

Stian I sure hope this worked out for you and you recovered your funds maybe you can report back and let us know how you got on?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
(deleted)

Last edited:

danielk141

Mar 13, 2012
There is a listing on Audiogon right now for a pair of Avalon Eidolon Vision speakers.
The ship from address has a 6 digit code.
When I google the code, I get nothing. I asked the seller a public question, his answer in a private email was "This is my zip code in Europe".
When I google the code after "European zip code" it says the seller is in Nigeria.
The price is good at $9K, but nobody is buying them. I won't either....

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Thanks, I reported that to AudiogoN.

I advise everyone to do the same everytime you suspect a scam.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
This seller's listing has been suspended.

I was too late to the party :(

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I have reported this ad several days ago and it was swiftly removed by AudiogoN. Now it is back posted from another account. This piece of sh!t must have taken over several accounts.

I had reported this one again.

danielk141

Mar 13, 2012
Adam.

Thank you! I guess I've become jaded, when it comes to Audiogon.
It used to be an enthusiast driven site. Now it is obviously profit driven, IMO.
I bet almost anyone on whatsbestforum can spot these bogus listings on Audiogon, easily.
Why can't Audiogon review these, or pay someone like us, to do it?

Daniel

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing