IMPORTANT WARNING ALERT! Audigon, my membership name has been hacked, check yours

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Hi guys,

I've been getting emails from others asking questions about gear which I was not selling and just found out my membership has been hacked. Currently there are Wilson Sasha speakers and Mac amps up for sale using my name DEV but not mine. I can't get into Audiogon keeps sending me somewhere else

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-mcintosh-mc2000-2012-09-11-amplifiers-europe
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-mcintosh-mc2000-2012-09-11-amplifiers-europe

mracoustat (24 - 100.00%) You better check because I think yours was also hacked see attached ad http://app.audiogon.com/listings/fu...-audioplan-spikes-2012-09-11-speakers-england and numersous others.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I just received a email saying;

A requset has been received to change your AudiogoN email adrees from xxxxxx to audioman58@live.com. If you DID NOT request this change, you may cancel it prior to 10/11/2012 by clicking the cancellation link.

Cancellation Link:
Cancel this email Address Change

If you did requist this change, you must activate by clicking the link in the Audigon.com email sent to audioman58@live.com

and goes on

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I've now got more emails of the same but with different names audio512bb@hatmail.com

Anyone know Stian M Helland, this person is sending me messages wanting to wire money. I can't reply to him "I can't access" and does not show his membership name, please warn so he doesn't get scammed.

This Audiogon site is so messed up.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I never clicked on it, haven't done anything except try to contact Audigon directly

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
It sounds as if you click it, you're hosed! The whole email sounds like phishing.

It's my guess that Audiogon would never send you such an email.

How would those adds get my membership name on them and emails coming to me, it's not my gear.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Sounds like an incomplete hack, wouldn't they want to $ to go to them? The Gon is very squirrely since revamp, as has been well-documented. I don't know if the software changes enabled more scams or more crooks just realized they could make a fast buck on high end audio. There was a Shindo Giscours that was listed briefly yesterday, someone on another board pointed out it was the same unit that had previously been the subject of a scam. Next time I looked, the listing was gon. As in A-Gon.
Sorry you got hacked.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Friend of mine lost $12,500 on audiogon for a DCS cd player , account showed over 100+ positive feedback
Audiogon did nothing about his claim , just email saying they where sorry

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Dev, I just looked up your username on Audiogon and they were showing that you have no items for sale. Did they already take care of it?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Friend of mine lost $12,500 on audiogon for a DCS cd player , account showed over 100+ positive feedback
Audiogon did nothing about his claim , just email saying they where sorry

What's scary is the 100+ PF! Used to be that was safe but obviously they can hack and steal a person's ID with good references.

I wonder if talking to the person first would help matters any? It would seem, scammers might not want to talk on the phone.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
If Audiogon made people pay up front for the ads then they might have less of this type of thing happen. That would force the hackers to at least use a stolen CC to pay for the ad.

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
I have seen the same listing for: Ayre KXR Preamp , seller is in Europe. Asking price is too good to be true. Pictures show the serial number of the unit, same as the last 5 other Audio Gon listings. Come on , Really?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Dev, I just looked up your username on Audiogon and they were showing that you have no items for sale. Did they already take care of it?
It might be because the original sale is expired. The link DEV provided still works and seems to point to him with positive references from Albert and such: http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-mcintosh-mc2000-2012-09-11-amplifiers-europe. Click on his name on the right.

What is amazing is that there is no way to report a sale as being fraudulent. Even Craigslist has such an option which I have used. There was a listing for something I was going to buy at half the price. I googled it and found the same listing in Craigslist for many cities with no phone number or address (only email). I reported it and Craigslist removed it right away. Remarkable that these guys don't have such an option. At least I could not find it (I am not a member). If there is a way to do that, then those of us who are members could help by reporting the post and saying what we think is wrong.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Yes, the link Dev posted does indicate there was an ad. It does say it is expired though. I wonder if Dev cancelled the ads or if it was Audiogon?

I agree they should have a link to report fraud.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
What's scary is the 100+ PF! Used to be that was safe but obviously they can hack and steal a person's ID with good references.

I wonder if talking to the person first would help matters any? It would seem, scammers might not want to talk on the phone.

And now Audiogon has damn near made it impossible to talk to anyone outside of Audiogon because of their paranoia over deals being made outside of Audiogon. You could make a case that Audiogon has made it easier for scammers to rip people off. Where is our resident lawyer when you need him?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
And now Audiogon has damn near made it impossible to talk to anyone outside of Audiogon because of their paranoia over deals being made outside of Audiogon. You could make a case that Audiogon has made it easier for scammers to rip people off. Where is our resident lawyer when you need him?

Didn't I just get a note from Agon about the ability to contact other members?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yeah, I got that too. I must have already deleted it because I assumed it meant through Audiogon and not directly. I recently ran an ad and posted my home email and phone number so people could ask me questions. I did this because the last time I tried to sell an amp, people could ask me questions via my ad page, but they could never see the answers I posted. Audiogon deleted my info from my ad.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yeah, I got that too. I must have already deleted it because I assumed it meant through Audiogon and not directly. I recently ran an ad and posted my home email and phone number so people could ask me questions. I did this because the last time I tried to sell an amp, people could ask me questions via my ad page, but they could never see the answers I posted. Audiogon deleted my info from my ad.

Uh-huh. They do that to everyone. Too bad they don't scrutinize for scammers as much as for phone numbers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing