Importance of proper speaker setup

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Excellent post, FrantzM. And this is exactly where I'm at currently- a baseline with incremental improvement likely in the next few months.

There are certain things like phase shift that are difficult to measure by "ear" and in normal listening environments can make larger differences than frequency response allegedly. I'd be curious to how some of the pros on this thread account for it.

Phase shift in the context of speaker positioning is not that hard to do by ear provided you use a mono music signal and not stereo. Just start stacking instruments bottom up. Using pink noise, you'll know you've got it when you get a spherical bubble of noise in between the speakers. Phase coherent speakers definitely help but the method will work on any speaker. You'll end up with very sharp imaging upon return to stereo tracks. Not everybody likes razor sharp imaging but I find it a better place to start than from the opposite direction. You can always soften the image to taste afterwards.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing