I'm Not Gonna Tell How Great My MicroRendu plus Sonore Signature Power Supply Sounds!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The million dollar question is how it compares to a generic NUC with Gucci PS given the fact that performance seems to predicated on power.....

So all the feedback and reviews are just hype??

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
So all the feedback and reviews are just hype??

Marketing placebo is always possible. No one has done the comparison though and it would be interesting to see how things measured out. Also would be interesting to see if Amir could actually measure or hear (blinded) any differences between the Rendu and his own magic server. From the get-go, he viewed the Rendu with a jaundiced eye so I'm not surprised by his findings and or his spin on the matter

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
A Laptop is a pretty shitty reference point...
Blizz claims he will have something even better than the uRendu...I wonder what that is?

Adam, do you have a link to the WestLake Regen fix?

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
A Laptop is a pretty shitty reference point...
Blizz claims he will have something even better than the uRendu...I wonder what that is?

Adam, do you have a link to the WestLake Regen fix?

I agree. Laptops are awful as are unmodded computers. The Blizzinator claims to have created a super-Rendu, but he is cray cray as we all know. I should be getting one in a few weeks. Time will tell.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I agree. Laptops are awful as are unmodded computers.

Not according to the "bits are bits" theory. A competently designed interface and DAC should reject all that "awful" aspects. This is supposed to be the beauty of digital.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Not according to the "bits are bits" theory. A competently designed interface and DAC should reject all that "awful" aspects. This is supposed to be the beauty of digital.

Bits are bits in a noise free vacuum, but you more than most have eloquently described that side of the equation....;)

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I agree. Laptops are awful as are unmodded computers. The Blizzinator claims to have created a super-Rendu, but he is cray cray as we all know. I should be getting one in a few weeks. Time will tell.

Let us know. Blizz is passionate, but full of hyperbole as well.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Bits are bits in a noise free vacuum, but you more than most have eloquently described that side of the equation....;)

Bits dont "exist", they are information so intangible. they are repped by electrical sqaure waves and those tangible things can be distorted to the point where real time interpretation can be compromised. Square waves are in the ANALOG domain.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Gucci?

It looks like a standard case. A cut above DIY...but quite adequate. I only mention it as he likes to disparage other brands, so I expected chic, bespoke design. LoL

I thought he would have a mini unit, not this full size Appliance and for $1K, not $2.5K.

In any case, I expect it to sound good and like the fact it does SD card playback and is fully operable from a Tablet PC.

It goes head to head against the Sonore Signature Rendu and costs about the same as well. No LVDS i2s output though and only ST Fibre in!

I eagerly awaits your feedback. It will at least be an Aries killer.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Let us know. Blizz is passionate, but full of hyperbole as well.

Just like he thought he already had something inherently better than HQ Player doing up-conversion, with his Resonessence + SDCard?

Don't believe the hype: it is highly likely he is just talking about Ethernet DACs which will not be exclusive to him and it is is addition highly unlikely that the noise profiles of such interfaces will be optimised as in the microRendu, the Regen or in (as tentatively described by Uptone Audio) their own forthcoming USB->Ethernet + Ethernet DAC devices (details are still incomplete and subject to change though).

In other words, what I expect in the future is the democratisation of Ethernet DACs and other devices using the Ethernet interface. However, very few of these devices will have their noise profiles at the interfaces and protocol level analysed and optimised, but this is likely something that John Swenson will do if a couple of products envisioned by Alex at Uptone see the light of day.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Gucci?

It looks like a standard case. A cut above DIY...but quite adequate. I only mention it as he likes to disparage other brands, so I expected chic, bespoke design. LoL

I thought he would have a mini unit, not this full size Appliance and for $1K, not $2.5K.

In any case, I expect it to sound good and like the fact it does SD card playback and is fully operable from a Tablet PC.

It goes head to head against the Sonore Signature Rendu and costs about the same as well. No LVDS i2s output though and only ST Fibre in!

I eagerly awaits your feedback. It will at least be an Aries killer.

you need new glasses Norman. machined aluminum plate and aluminum extrusions from Japan. Does not look like your typical chinese sardine can to me. I will have it soon so I can report back with more then. This unit is 1250. His actual server will be around 2.5k. This unit can function as a Roonserver as well but does not have the horsepower to run HQP.

I expect it to be good. The NUC with the same PS was very good.

Here is some generic blah blah from Blizzman:

The unit has 3 modes:

1: Roonserver
2: Hqplayer NAA
3: Airplay.

-No other computer is required in the system unless upsampling via Hqplayer is desired. In this case you would add a "Superserve" onto the network. The Roon core runs right on the Superstream.

-The computer board is a custom low noise unit streamlined for audio only use.

-The built in power supply is an ultra low noise design with revolutionary technology to reject mains interference. It's designed to power delicate instrumentation, and medical life support equipment. Each unit goes through a rigorous QC process before leaving the factory.

-Maximum resolution support is DSD 1024/PCM 32/768.

-The "Pro" series unit will be released later this summer. It features Ravenna in and out over ST fiber, 3 types of I2S (CMOS over RJ-45, LVDS over HDMI and Superlink) As well as AES/EBU. The "Superlink is the ultimate feature on the pro unit. It will interface to "Ravenna retrofit" boards that can be used as a direct replacement for USB boards (Amanero for example) inside of DAC's. This will allow retrofitting Ravenna into any DAC that has a USB board that's removable. The Lampizator line is a great example, and every Lampizator ever built can be upgraded with this feature. Master clock options for the Pro unit will range from the Crystek 957, to the the incomparable "DuCULoN from NDK. In the application of the Superlink retrofit boards, the master clock will be located on the board that replaces the USB interface, so the DAC can be slaved to it.

http://www.ndk.com/en/ad/2013/001/pdf/c_NH47M47LA_e.pdf

-Pricing for the standard Superstream with USB only output is $1250, and the Pro will start @ $2500.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Just like he thought he already had something inherently better than HQ Player doing up-conversion, with his Resonessence + SDCard?

Don't believe the hype: it is highly likely he is just talking about Ethernet DACs which will not be exclusive to him and it is is addition highly unlikely that the noise profiles of such interfaces will be optimised as in the microRendu, the Regen or in (as tentatively described by Uptone Audio) their own forthcoming USB->Ethernet + Ethernet DAC devices (details are still incomplete and subject to change though).

In other words, what I expect in the future is the democratisation of Ethernet DACs and other devices using the Ethernet interface. However, very few of these devices will have their noise profiles at the interfaces and protocol level analysed and optimised, but this is likely something that John Swenson will do if a couple of products envisioned by Alex at Uptone see the light of day.

Evidence of actual optimization of the microRendu is absent. Swenson Inc have not provided measurements despite direct challenges to do so by Amir on ASR (which I copied to CA). Mike plans to measure his device. Should be interesting.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC

your buddy Amir and John Westlake (of Audiolab, Pink Triangle fame) according to Elberoth. For the record, I know that Swenson, Jesus inc are fine people and create fine products. I am honestly waiting for the technical counterpoints from John in particular (more for emotional satisfaction honestly by quashing the hubbub on ASR). I was told on CA that boutique manufacturers don't have $$ for measurement equipment which I find odd. There are an ocean of DIY cheeseballs with measurement equipment. I cannot believe that the microRendu was the byproduct of some druidic divination only.....

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
you need new glasses Norman. machined aluminum plate and aluminum extrusions from Japan. Does not look like your typical chinese sardine can to me. I will have it soon so I can report back with more then. This unit is 1250. His actual server will be around 2.5k. This unit can function as a Roonserver as well but does not have the horsepower to run HQP.

I expect it to be good. The NUC with the same PS was very good.

Here is some generic blah blah from Blizzman:

My eyes are fine. NOT Gucci to me.

However, thanks for the addn info as that is more like what I expected. It seems there is a basic and a upscale (Pro) Superstream and the Pro at $2.5K is way more competeitive with the SSR than the basic one you showed. Value proposition restored...Gucci or not. You know I dont care too much about Gucci anyway.

BTW, I have not put together the NUC streamer yet , but will this Summer and compare against a Caps Server with AO and the Aries with Hynes LPSU!

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
My eyes are fine. NOT Gucci to me.

However, thanks for the addn info as that is more like what I expected. It seems there is a basic and a upscale (Pro) Superstream and the Pro at $2.5K is way more competeitive with the SSR than the basic one you showed. Value proposition restored...Gucci or not. You know I dont care too much about Gucci anyway.

BTW, I have not put together the NUC streamer yet , but will this Summer and compare against a Caps Server with AO and the Aries with Hynes LPSU!

Gucci relative to all the chinese sardine cans you see most server/computers in.

My next server will be a liquid cooled MacPro with floating internal isolation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THjPHeNZP-U

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Gucci relative to all the chinese sardine cans you see most server/computers in.

My next server will be a liquid cooled MacPro with floating internal isolation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THjPHeNZP-U
Sounds expensive!!!!

MacPro (OSX) will not be able to do DSD higher than 128 unless you have a dedicated driver for the Dac like Exasound...unless you are going to install Windows or maybe by then Linux will have drivers for common USB interfaces...or your Dac will take i2s?

I hope you have developed a taste for the dry SS sound. I heard a Yggdrsil and had to take a gulp of water, it was so dry. loL

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Sounds expensive!!!!

MacPro (OSX) will not be able to do DSD higher than 128 unless you have a dedicated driver for the Dac like Exasound...unless you are going to install Windows or maybe by then Linux will have drivers for common USB interfaces...or your Dac will take i2s?

I hope you have developed a taste for the dry SS sound. I heard a Yggdrsil and had to take a gulp of water, it was so dry. loL

I jest. I think Mike's doodad will be fine. I have been farting around with vintage equipment due to my system being in flux and have been getting very good sound. It feels illegal.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
@Geardaddy, Glad to see you asking about "science" on that ASR forum - I mentioned this many weeks ago & got a warning from the "mod" as a result.
It's the obvious problem with forums of that ilk - they believe they are on the side of right & righteousness always citing the "laws of science", "laws of physics".
As was pointed out also many weeks ago the forum has an engineering mindset, not a science mindset - they don't query their tests or results.
This was starkly illustrated by Amir's recent technical blunder of posting results which he claimed showed the uRendu (a digital signal handling device) was causing the output of his iFi DAC to be 8dB higher than normal & going on to suggest that this would explain the positive reports from users. These statements were so obviously wrong on so many fronts that it is an insult to engineers to number him among them. Indeed it belies a great lack of understanding about digital technology & either a great lack of common sense or a strong bias that overrode it.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing