"If you don't have a $200k [speaker]..."

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Without the double negative: I am able to relax and concentrate when listening to digital.

Thanks - I misread it, I was not using my reading glasses! ;)

Reactions: Ron Resnick

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How can great recordings of even poor performances not be useful in judging systems

I am saying they are not useful because they have less inflections, for example, player glosses over violin notes. There is less counterpointing in orchestra, less layering of different sections of orchestra while performing (a good conductor does this better and it shows on a good recording in a good system)

• Haha
Reactions: morricab

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
By "amateur tapes" what do you mean?

Jonathan Horwich's tapes are, I believe, recorded close in room. The sound quality is stunning, even if you do not care for the performances. Because of the sound quality I can use these tapes to judge systems according to the criteria I care about, namely emotional engagement and suspension of disbelief. I can use these tapes for that purpose precisely because of their sound quality.

i am not interested. I don’t disagree sound is good, I don’t like close in room ambience and I would rather listen to good performances recorded on vinyl.

Even on vinyl, while decca has better sound than RCA and DGG, when RCA and DGG get it right, I find far more realism in a Chicago, Vienna and Berlin performance than say the LOSR type orchestras that Ansermet recorded frequently on for decca

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I would be careful with such statement. IMO it drives loudspeaker choice, not preference - two very different things.

For example, for rock my preference goes to JBL DD66000 or German Physics Gaudi, but as I listen little to rock I choose other type of speakers.

I think you're agreeing generally with my philosophy.

The way I think about it, since you listen to little rock, rock is not your musical genre preference.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I agree music choice drives loudspeaker preference but not without associated components. My first choice for classical, jazz and blues is vyger red sparrow Thomas Mayer with 46 amp, and pnoe with AER BD4/5. Same for Bill. Very strait jacketed. Needs great recordings.

my second choice for the above is a dual FLH which is by far the first choice for classic rock as well. Also this plays well with a variety of gear including digital. Does well with good and bad recordings.
If only auditioned with average records this is better than 1, drops to two with great recordings. For acoustic music that is

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
my second choice for the above is a dual FLH which is by far the first choice for classic rock as well. Also this plays well with a variety of gear including digital.

But for digital you only need a soundbar, no?

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think you're agreeing generally with my philosophy.

The way I think about it, since you listen to little rock, rock is not your musical genre preference.

Yes, currently rock can be considered my very focused nostalgic occasional preference ... ;)

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
i am not interested. I don’t disagree sound is good, I don’t like close in room ambience and I would rather listen to good performances recorded on vinyl.

Even on vinyl, while decca has better sound than RCA and DGG, when RCA and DGG get it right, I find far more realism in a Chicago, Vienna and Berlin performance than say the LOSR type orchestras that Ansermet recorded frequently on for decca
Who cares what records you like? The point, again, is that they aren't the only ones useful for judging sound quality. Most high quality recordings, irrespective of the performance, can be useful.

Reactions: Audiohertz2

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I doubt anyone likes speakers that are not good at voices. But midrange is easiest to get right. Electrostats, ribbons, old tannoys, various horns, some cones, all do voices well. Sure some don’t either. Beryllium horn drivers sound quite like electrostats with voices, with more nuance.

But doing voices well does not necessarily mean they can also do other things well, which require more cross frequency integration. Voice is just the starting, basic
It depends on how high your demands are. For me, the best midrange is a quad esl 57. I don't know of any horn or other loudspeaker principle in the world that reproduces voices so naturally. never aggressive with a body that gives you goosebumps unless the recording is botched. i find voices to be a very difficult part because it is so broadband in frequency.
Exsample

P.S
even bad news on the radio sounds better with it;)

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
IMO this only shows your previous system was poor or contrary to usual, your hearing is improving with age.

It shows a lot more to me. I enjoyed my old system very much after I removed the corrupting accessories and improved the set up. The new system simply sounds better to me. I disagree with Ron's proclamation that music genre drives speaker choice. Perhaps it did for him, but not for me.

The last time I had my hearing checked, two years ago, it was the same as it was years earlier, at least according to their limited testing range based on speech recognition. No, my hearing is not improving, but my values have changed, and I am a more careful listener with a keener focus and understanding of my reference.

You and others can not seem to accept that some people actually do hear more information from all recordings on a system with horns, including with amplified rock music. Also, there are alternatives to the mainstream HIEND industry and people can discover those and prefer them. The latest and greatest advocated in glossy magazines, behind long lines at shows, and defended freely here, is not the only choice.

My system choice was based on a full range of music genres, and I used that range when auditioning the components and during set up and fine tuning.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It depends on how high your demands are. For me, the best midrange is a quad esl 57. I don't know of any horn or other loudspeaker principle in the world that reproduces voices so naturally. never aggressive with a body that gives you goosebumps unless the recording is botched. i find voices to be a very difficult part because it is so broadband in frequency.
Exsample

P.S
even bad news on the radio sounds better with it;)

they are excellent at other things too

this is in Dallas. Stacked 57s made by EMIA, EMIA electronics, Allnic 5000 phono. Plasma tweeters

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
they are better at other things too

this is in Dallas. Stacked 57s made my EMIA, EMIA electronics, Allnic 5000 phono. Plasma tweeters

Are those added super-tweeters ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: Lagonda

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I would be careful with such statement. IMO it drives loudspeaker choice, not preference - two very different things.

For example, for rock my preference goes to JBL DD66000 or German Physics Gaudi, but as I listen little to rock I choose other type of speakers.

This is where we differ. I want my system (not just speakers) to sound good on all the music I play, and also music I do not. Friends come over with their records of stuff I do not like. It still sounds good to me and more importantly to them.

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
they are better at other things too

this is in Dallas. Stacked 57s made my EMIA, EMIA electronics, Allnic 5000 phono. Plasma tweeters

If you want go deep add two ripol sub perless sls 2×12" per side. Works pretty fine deep and fast.80hz 24db crossover point -3db 25hz

2a032f99daf684cc0a5387e9e3131fda.jpg

Or 4 ae 15" woofer
subs.jpeg.29402fd627f947851e8280f8a0b811f4.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: the sound of Tao

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: cal3713

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing