Ideon Audio Absolute DAC - anyone heard it?

Tiltedfault

Jul 28, 2023
AFAIK, the first review of the EOS devices:

Matt
Nice review. It’s very similar to what I experienced when auditioning the Ion and Absolute Epsilon - More presence, more details, better timbres and instrumental color, and more body. I think the extra body stood out for me. That and Ideon’s dynamic expressiveness. The audio image had a solidity that made the musical event that much more believable, including an almost tangible sense of space.

Also sounds like the EOS dac benefitted from the EOS reclocker despite the excellence of the Oladra’s usb output.

Matt

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Also sounds like the EOS dac benefitted from the EOS reclocker despite the excellence of the Oladra’s usb output.
Yes, according to the reviewer the DAC on its own needs a second EOS device (either the Time or the Stream) to sound really good, that's interesting.
BTW, the reviewer didn't listen yet with the latest G4 generation of Oladra which seems to have the much improved USB output. The question is if with G4 the second EOS device is needed for best sound.

Matt

Last edited:

geoli

Sep 6, 2021
Athens, Greece
Yes, according to the reviewer the DAC on its own needs a second EOS device (either the Time or the Stream) to sound really good, that's interesting.
BTW, the reviewer didn't listen yet with the latest G4 generation of Oladra which seems to have the much improved USB output. The question is if with G4 the second EOS device is needed for best sound.

Matt
Hi Matt,
Let me step in here and clarify a few things that might not be evident from the way the review is written.
As it happens with the Absolute Series, the EOS line has 3 different components, each one excelling in its sector. You can only decide to use just one of the three, it is not a "closed" system and it's not necessary to get them all. I mean the EOS DAC is a great DAC to live with and I suggest an audition for anyone looking for a DAC up to 20K. If you add the EOS Time the re-clocker then the sound vastly improves but this is true for any DAC. You can use and actually highly benefit using the re-clocker with any DAC regardless of price and maker. One thing we know what we are doing is how to innovate in order to design the most efficient USB output conditioning to make it the best connection. It is not that easy that's why not a lot of companies do that, needs a good combination of hardware and software experience and knowledge.
Now, going to the third part of the system, the Streamer. Here ok we have done also a very detailed, and well thought design with a high-end audio device and not a very well-made computer. This is the source and plays a very important role to the chain. So yes, if you also deploy this together with the other 2 EOS devices you get a fantastic system for only 26-27K easily outperforming combos up to 40-45K.
We are very confident of what we do, and open to any challenge.
Cheers!

Reactions: matthias

Qrd19

Apr 20, 2020
I have auditioned the Ideon Absolute Epsilon DAC with Ideon Absolute Time side by side with MSB Premier DAC. The first week was without MSB. My first impression of Ideon was that it is a very high-performance DAC, and I was quite impressed of what I heard. My impression of Ideon is very similar to what Robert Harley writes in his review in the absolute sound (but we come to different conclusions). Compared to my current DAC (Lyngdorf) it is much faster, has much better clarity and is more vivid. The soundstage is impressive. I listened to it a couple of days, but on the third day, a minor doubt crept in. The fourth day some questions arose. Could I hear any signs of transient overshoots of leading edges? No, nothing and no hardening of the tones. But I felt I was listening more to the DAC than the music. After a week, the MSB DAC arrived. I Immediately heard that these two DACs sounded quite different. The performance of Ideon with the reclocker is, I would estimate, slightly better than the Premier in most areas, e.g. somewhat lower noise floor (Ideon plus reclocker is roughly twice the price of the Premier). The big difference was that the MSB DAC never called attention to itself. I never felt that the MSB DAC exaggerated anything. There was a clear difference in soundstage between the DACs. The MSB portrayed the soundstage as a plane between the speakers (not so much front and back), whereas the Ideon projected the soundstage more forward, especially for voice. This more forward soundstage was at first appealing, but after some more days of listening, I felt a hint of obtrusiveness. I will try to describe another difference in soundstage. For simplicity, every instrument in the soundstage is projected as a sphere. These spheres were bigger for Ideon than for MSB. When you listen to multi instrument recordings, these spheres tend to overlap more with Ideon than with MSB. The effect was more blurring between the instruments with Ideon than with MSB. Another difference was that I had to lower the volume by 3-5 dB (I use a SPL meter from listening position) when I switched from MSB to Ideon to achieve my optimal (most pleasant) listening level. An example of a track that suits Ideon best (few instruments and no voice) is the world-class recording of Al Di Meola et al. on Friday Night in San Fransisco, e.g. Mediterranean Sundance. The enjoyment of this track while listening to Premier was almost the same as with Ideon. I also listen to Ideon without a preamplifier, but I thought it was too clinical-sounding.

After a couple of more days of listening and, switching between MSB and Ideon, I came to the conclusion that I prefer the MSB sound. I will categorize the MSB DAC as neutral (although I know it is impossible to agree on what kind of sound is neutral). Most of the posts at WBF discuss what is best in different sonic categories but more seldom neutrality (and deviation from neutrality) is discussed. My claim here is that Ideon deviates more from a neutral sound than MSB. I will bring forth one argument for neutrality. I believe that recording and mastering engineers in general listen to cheaper DACs than these two, and to my experience, cheaper DACs (although having worse performance than high-end DACs) often sounds neutral. The sound the mastering engineer hears when the final master is finished is what is intended to be heard in a playback system.

Attachments

• IMG_3954.JPG
    IMG_3954.JPG
    632.5 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Antonio66

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
. My claim here is that Ideon deviates more from a neutral sound than MSB. I will bring forth one argument for neutrality. I believe that recording and mastering engineers in general listen to cheaper DACs than these two, and to my experience, cheaper DACs (although having worse performance than high-end DACs) often sounds neutral. The sound the mastering engineer hears when the final master is finished is what is intended to be heard in a playback system.
So you are saying that the lesser performing & cheaper DAC is better because the mastering people use some such.

I had the Select II (i.e. the model above the one you mention) and, while I loved its sound (obviously), I found nothing of what you describe above. Indeed, the Ideon pulled me more into the music and, regarding the Al Di Meola it sounded excellent on the MSB - just as much as on the Epsilon (the dac I have now).
It's the complex music that distinguished the two - clarity, soundstage, FR and dynamics on the Ideon were all superior to my MSB -- did I mention clarity?

Sorry to come on to your commentary -- I rarely, if ever do.
But with all due respect for your experience and your preferences this is really a too wide departure from reality.
Complex passages "blurring", forward midrange, "clinical", is really not it...

And believe me, I had both the MSB and the Ideon. Really!
Regards

Last edited:
Reactions: Tiltedfault

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing