I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Whoah, this is big news. If AS does surpass other TTs in "all" areas, there would be no point in keeping the rest (based on sonic only)? Or is it too soon to draw this conclusion? :cool: Congrats in either case, reaching new height in one's own system is always a joy :)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dear Mike,

This morning I had a meeting. After the meeting, I have been listening 4 hrs straight til now. This AS is clearly above my other three tts. The EMT, which I had been listening to more than the other two since Dietrich came installed the Axioms for me, equals the AS only on aspects of musicality and getting out of way. Other than that AS pretty much edges them all. David never described much how AS sounds except for saying it sounds “natural,” “out of the way” and “beyond.” To be honest, I didn’t expect much from AS because I thought the EMT was already it. I even did the unspeakable comparing it more favorabley to my tape front on the kind of music I like. I thought this AS would be just a different flavor. Then it smacked me on the first note yesterday. I am not exaggerating or raving but it is that kind of first note that caught my attention. I know a person like you had that “first note” experience before. My tone arm guy and I just stared at each other and smile.

So how does it sound? You won’t hear this from David and Christian but I will say it. It has the kind of clarity that exceeds my tape front. No bullsh-t. These are my equipments, my room. And it is what I hear. No need golden ears to hear what is more clear. My tape front might be something wrong I don’t know. And it is my mission to hire a techie to look at. Clarity is what strikes me at first. Mike you have Ed Pong’s tape. It is the same clarity you hear from his tape. May be the Stacore helps clean up the window too, I don’t know. I also put my phono on the Stacore platform. Mike, You and I both have magic grounding boxes and excellent wires. I think you can feel me the degree of clarity when I am talking clarity. I trust that you will be amazed of AS in your system because I can imagine how super transparent and 3D your system is. The more revealing the system the more you will get out of a front end like this. I thought only SAT digs the groove like nothing else, but this AS somehow helps SAT reveal even more of what’s in the groove. (Now I probably got Christian to itch..hehe) I never realized there were sounds of birds in Cello piece of Mike Valentines’ Chasing the Dragon. People think AF1 is quiet, this thing is even more so. In a few months, Bonzo will come. I let him write whatever he wants and you guys will see if I am for real. Another thing that catches my attention is how a singer sings. The movement and fluctuation of voice to the “inner” of the singer at any particular moment, the AS portrays all that. Its ability to draw listeners into the performance is so captivating. In another thread, they are talking the end-game amp/pre amp. To me this is the end-game front. Not that I will stop buying more tt though :eek:.

Anything less than stellar about this AS. Yes. Sorry but I have to be honest David. The speed sensor is looking very DIY for a $100,000++ turntable. It is hidden in the back of the tt. I will keep the look secret to the owners so you guys are not going to see it.

Kind regards,
Tang

Dear Tang,
I’m so happy to see your joy, you’ll continue discovering how information is hidden in those grooves :). Of course the Stacore rack is part of everything and now you see the reason behind the kilos!

That sensor is actually an exceptionally well engineered and well executed product by our friend here Bill Carlin, Phoenix Engineering. You won’t see another one with three digit accuracy. It was my choice to keep the installation that way instead of hiding it meant cutting into the solid base and running wires inside it and have connectors screwed into base which compromises the sound. That’s contrary to AS2000’s minimalistic concept and engineering, all that information you’re hearing is a direct result of that absolute minimalism, only what’s needed and no more. The tach is a luxury it wont help the sound this but this way you get it without compromise of principles.

david

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Hi David, can you share how you come up with the matching record weight? i.e. material, weight, design. I have always found the record weight to have pro and cons, is that the case here? Thanks!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Now. This is truely beyond. Those of you who are waiting for it will be so glad you throw your big money in.

Mine probably sounds even better than Christian’s M1 because I have Stacore rack and SAT...hehe :p.

View attachment 42283

View attachment 42284

Tang

That table is gorgeous. Congratulations David and Tang. I also really like the look of the Stacore rack. Everything looks vert purpose built with nothing extra added. I love the plain and serious aesthetic.

David, I notice the notch cut out on the right left arm pillar, I presume for belt clearance. The two pillars on the right must not have that. Can you hear any sonic difference between the two? Or is it all just so over built that it does not matter?

Tang, why did your tone arm guy install the SAT on the right front pillar rather than the right rear pillar? And why did he not also install one of your 3012Rs? Are you waiting for David to do that for you? It might have been interesting to learn if David would have made any fine adjustments to the other guy's set up.

The contrast between the massive rack, table and arm and the tiny stylus boggles the mind. What cartridge did you select for this first listen? It looks like it might be the Atlas.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi David, can you share how you come up with the matching record weight? i.e. material, weight, design. I have always found the record weight to have pro and cons, is that the case here? Thanks!
Using stainless was only natural, the mass and diameter was a result of listening tests, I wanted something that I couldn’t hear a character and this was it. Mats and weights will make a difference, I encourage people to try different ones.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations Tang - the whole system, turntable plus rack, looks impressive. IMHO matching is also the key in excellence systems.
Please keep us informed on the matching tonearms and cartridges!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang, why did your tone arm guy install the SAT on the right front pillar rather than the right rear pillar? And why did he not also install one of your 3012Rs? Are you waiting for David to do that for you? It might have been interesting to learn if David would have made any fine adjustments to the other guy's set up.

The contrast between the massive rack, table and arm and the tiny stylus boggles the mind. What cartridge did you select for this first listen? It looks like it might be the Atlas.

Hello Peter,

No other reasons. I want to put two SME’s in the back, the SAEC in front left. These are 12”. So I had Marc Gomez talked to David for spec of pillar and make the armboard positioned on front right pillar such that it clears all surrounding arms. For tts with arm pillars positioned on four corners I think it is more flexible using longer arm with SME type base. SAT is short with big round fixed base.

We just had not enough time to put SME on. Audiophiles normally stay late at night working on system and do listening. But I leave office at 16:00 for my family everyday. I don’t do stereo at home. One 3012R will be put on the back with GFS next Monday. I wait for David to install the other 3012R and the SAEC because the ZYX is with him. He is very familiar with ZYX on SME so he will know how they should sound at their best. Plus the SAEC 506 is quite rare in Thailand, my tonearm guy is very experienced with modern arms but not vintage arm. David is also quite familiar with the SAEC so use the right man for the right job. That’s what I do.

The Opus1 is on SAT not Atlas SL.

Regards,
Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Proud to be a part of your stellar setup, Tang! Thank you for believing in us,

Now you have my attention Jarek. You know I haven’t been much an advocate of antivibe like Spiritofmusic. But my AS setup with your rack and platform is giving me a winner on front end. Birds chirping and low level articulation have to come from somewhere. My guess it’s the heft, the synergy of AS and your Stacore rack&platform. Maybe I have to start making wife points for possible Stacore solution for my 927. We got to give the AS more challenges.

Tang:D

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
That table is gorgeous. Congratulations David and Tang. I also really like the look of the Stacore rack. Everything looks vert purpose built with nothing extra added. I love the plain and serious aesthetic.

David, I notice the notch cut out on the right left arm pillar, I presume for belt clearance. The two pillars on the right must not have that. Can you hear any sonic difference between the two? Or is it all just so over built that it does not matter?

Hi Peter,
The notches are for belt clearance, no difference in sound between them and the two on the right. I’ll be in Thailand soon and will take care of the SMEs for him.

david

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I was in Bankok last weekend but sadly had a tight itinerary with a large group. I would have loved to visit you Tang. I did get to try Gagan and loved Celadon. Next time perhaps? :)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I was in Bankok last weekend but sadly had a tight itinerary with a large group. I would have loved to visit you Tang. I did get to try Gagan and loved Celadon. Next time perhaps? :)

Did you come with Sam (Mullard88) to play golf? Or is it different trip.

Hope I have a chance to welcome you some day Jack. Too bad I have a slip disc bad back. Otherwise I could do some golfing with you guys. I used to be a single handicapper before I quit.

Tang:)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Different trip Tang. I was with a group of old friends. Sorry to hear about your back. I was a single digit player too but age got in my way. When my distance went so did my handicap LOL

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tang, too bad you don't live near me, I could try and improve your back for the golf course (I am audiophile and osteopath).

I'm so pleased you took a chance on Stacore, it's rare to find a start up company so firing on all engineering cylinders, and such nice people to deal with.

If my funds hadn't dried up, and I wasn't v content with my current sound, I'd be compelled to carry on w multiple Stacores.

Kudos for taking a chance on them, I can imagine how stellar your AS-Stacore combination is.

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Now you have my attention Jarek. You know I haven’t been much an advocate of antivibe like Spiritofmusic. But my AS setup with your rack and platform is giving me a winner on front end. Birds chirping and low level articulation have to come from somewhere. My guess it’s the heft, the synergy of AS and your Stacore rack&platform. Maybe I have to start making wife points for possible Stacore solution for my 927. We got to give the AS more challenges.

Tang:D

Dear Tang, yes we've been very well aware here of your sceptical attitude towards vibration control, which of course did not make our work easier ;) However, the joy of if not convincing then at least shaking the sceptic is fantastic and I'd be very happy to work with you on the EMT927 isolation. The subject is especially dear to me as the whole Stacore started form a fight to isolate my 930 (I'm covering it here for those interested: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?25762-Stacore-platforms-some-history-facts-and-design-logic). I've sent you already my proposed plan.
Cheers,

PS Marc, thank you so much for the kind words!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jarek, if Tang is getting the Stacore uptick on his AS that I'm getting on my Salvation, he's in for a continued treat.

Your Advanced has so transformed my tt, that I consider it non installed/broken before.

Finally I'm getting analog going to places my highly respectable cdp can't reach.
This was never the case pre-Stacore.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Jarek, if Tang is getting the Stacore uptick on his AS that I'm getting on my Salvation, he's in for a continued treat.

Your Advanced has so transformed my tt, that I consider it non installed/broken before.

Finally I'm getting analog going to places my highly respectable cdp can't reach.
This was never the case pre-Stacore.

I don't understand this comment, Marc. It does not look as though there is pneumatic isolation under that top shelf on Tang's rack. Nor did Tang listen to the AS in his system on a different platform, so unlike your experience with the Stacore platform where you heard your table before and after the Stacore, Tang can not know if there is an "uptick on his AS". David is developing his own rack for the AS2000, but I don't think anyone will be doing direct comparisons of these racks in the same system to ever know how each rack compares to the other.

I think Christian did do some testing with his rack by engaging the active isolation and then shutting it off. He did evaluate the effect of his isolation stand on his AS2000.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I think Christian did do some testing with his rack by engaging the active isolation and then shutting it off. He did evaluate the effect of his isolation stand on his AS2000.

I did. I am replacing that rack with David's for my AS2000. I may try something crazy and put the Xs-150 Mono's (4 chassis) on the Herzan AVI unit. It will fit I think...barely. Active isolation would be welcome with amps....or any inanimate stereo component that doesn't fight the active isolation like spinning TT's do, ime.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I did. I am replacing that rack with David's for my AS2000. I may try something crazy and put the Xs-150 Mono's (4 chassis) on the Herzan AVI unit. It will fit I think...barely. Active isolation would be welcome with amps....or any inanimate stereo component that doesn't fight the active isolation like spinning TT's do, ime.

Or you can try putting both your LP1 and 5000 DHT on the AV1.

Tang

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Or you can try putting both your LP1 and 5000 DHT on the AV1.

Tang

Agree with you Tang. The Allnic range are very sensitive to microphonics (although I did not test the 5000) despite their fancy tube socket.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing