I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I get it Christian . I wonder how many times you’ll actively choose not to spin an lp on the AS.
I guess choice is the spice of life for audiophiles.

Choice is the spice of life for MANKIND.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I get it Christian . I wonder how many times you’ll actively choose not to spin an lp on the AS.
I guess choice is the spice of life for audiophiles.

I listened to the AF1 a few nights ago. Still very enjoyable. The AS get's all the attention lately because it's new and I'm getting to use to my new arms...SME 3012R's and all the bayonet mount set-up carts and SPU's I have. I'm still breaking in SPU85, still haven't heard my 90 or 95 yet. So much going on, so little time in the day...I recently mounted coralstone diamond...still breaking in and tight sounding.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Most of us feel blessed to have this affliction but Marc has a lot of angst :)!

david
David I understand Marc angst when you get your digital sound good, and then set up your vinyl, till you dial it in, you worry u won’t get the vinyl magic, I have experienced this myself

I think your approach in retrospect is better, just go with known top performers, such as Lamm

Though AS and Klangfilm Bionor, you definitely pulled some gems out of your experienced hat :)...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I have 7 arms spread over 3 tables, two phono stages with 3 inputs each. Clearaudio only table that does 78 and has a cool magnetic bearing design so it stays. AF1 has vacuum holdown and air-suspension so it stays. Those are features I like to have from time to time that the AS does not have. Can’t they all coexist ?

Currently I can’t get Vox Palladium off my brain after Davey started that thread and I the thought of the idea of new speakers in a couple years.That may be the next upgrade...Awful expensive though.

when we talked I could hear your brain working.

Horns would be less challenging to integrate into your beautiful new room (compared to dynamic cones) with that tall ceiling and all those live surfaces, although pressurizing it sufficiently with low power tubes might be an issue (I'm ignorant about that....not inferring I know the answer). at some point see if you can 'demo' large horns in that space to see how it does.

maybe our intrepid Horn investigator, Ked, might know what horns he's heard work well in rooms like that.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . Tube pre's present a bit of a problem with some source gear being XLR connections.

Don't Aesthetix and BAT and ARC and VAC pre-amps accept XLR source connections?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
For modern horns I suggest Go to AE Show in HK and see if you like the sound of Cessaro. The Beethoven is beautiful. They are excellent built, only use top grade parts. There are variations of model to choose and you can customize to fit your needs. They are expensive, but not Vox Olympian expensive and you get what you pay for. For vintage horns, you know who to go to :).

Tang

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I know David does not like modern horn speakers but I also like the Cessaro systems (although I agree with all of those who criticise the low frequency performance of the giant basshorn system Cessaro demos in Munich).

I also like the Viva Masterhorn. (Although in Munich both Marc and Kedar instantly disliked the Viva Nuda system which I thought sounded great.)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Now if the argument is “I can, so I do”, then that’s where I’ll leave it, because Christian certainly can, and I certainly can’t.
But I can’t see why anyone would want to play lps on any tt decidedly worse than the flagship of flagships.
I certainly could get this if it was true that the AF1 does some things better than the AS.

Moving among different vinyl playing equipment is a different way of living this hobby. Although I have a lot of unused gear, it is mostly because I did not manage to find a buyer yet. For example, for the last few months the Metronome's have been switched off - as soon as I definitively decided the DCS Vivaldi was the machine to stay, I did not care to listen to the Kalista/C2A anymore. Recently all the redundant turntables moved away - I only kept the Forsell with the airbearing flywheel.

Picking a definitive preamplifier and amplifier seems more difficult - the list of candidates is much larger. And the friendly WBF member saying nice things about Nagra does not reduce it! :)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
when I had only one phono stage and it went down, I was without vinyl for a couple weeks. I'm a prepper, what can I say ?

I get it,and thanks to you, I have kept my large ss Rowland amp. This amp is certainly less capable in several areas to my new tube mono blocks....but, it also provides a very different 'flavor' which is always nice to have ( Plus having a back-up is IMO valuable). This is what i would expect the various TT's in your system also bring to the fore. The AS might be preferred right now, but I'm sure that the others bring something unique as well....as you pointed out.
BTW, I would suggest if you are planning on a speaker change, a listen to the top-of-the-line YG Sonja XV's might be a great idea. In a large space, they would ( at least IMHO) be preferable to any horn based speaker. Recently, we heard the smaller model YG Sonja 1.3's up against the big Acapella Triolon's....the YG's were easily better that night...and the XV's are way better still.

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
Currently I can’t get Vox Palladium off my brain after Davey started that thread and I the thought of the idea of new speakers in a couple years.That may be the next upgrade...Awful expensive though.

I would suggest visiting munich this year. Listening to a few system's including the Living Voice system. And maybee visit Göbel High End to have a chance to listen to the Göbel High End Divin, which looks to be SET friendly (talk to Elliot about Göbel).

I'll also buy you a beer.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
after considerable pondering, I've decided to go 'nude' with the initial AS-2000 installation. and I've decided after speaking to David, that i'll be sourcing my support table from him. he is building his own dedicated steel topped and framed table. so for now, no active isolation with the Taiko Tana version of the TS-300 under the AS-2000.....but the new table will be easily able to support a TS-300 should I do that later.

there were a few moving parts to this decision. the least part of it was whether Taiko Tana TS active would work and improve the performance of the stock AS-2000. after all the investigations, and even speaking to David as to how the final version of the motor box would differ from Christian's, I'm very confident that it would work. more significant in the decision was (1) the desire to be able to live with it stock as David built and installed it for awhile before I added the active, (2) just concentrate on as few balls in the air right now as I can, and (3) the investment of the Taiko Tana TS-300 right now when all these other things are at play for me.

I'm relieved to be clear of this issue for now. I do see a Taiko Tana TS-300 in my future when the time is right.

Last edited:

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Wise decision. I think you will be happy with David's custom stand as a starting point. Given the seperate motor and table I would pass on the active vibration isolation units.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This all makes perfect sense to me, Mike! :)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
after considerable pondering, I've decided to go 'nude' with the initial AS-2000 installation. and I've decided after speaking to David, that i'll be sourcing my support table from him. he is building his own dedicated steel topped and framed table. so for now, no active isolation with the Taiko Tana version of the TS-300 under the AS-2000.....but the new table will be easily able to support a TS-300 should I do that later.

If I had not talked to Jarek before, I would get the rack from David too. Simple, smart with good value. Big enough to put any anti-vibe platform on later. Gentleman enough David never pushed me into buying his rack. I also bought two 3012Rs from David to be used with AS. The third arm will be SAT which Marc Gomez is doing an armboard for me at the moment. I will put GFS, ZYX and Opus1 on these arms.

Tang

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
If I had not talked to Jarek before, I would get the rack from David too. Simple, smart with good value. Big enough to put any anti-vibe platform on later. Gentleman enough David never pushed me into buying his rack. I also bought two 3012Rs from David to be used with AS. The third arm will be SAT which Marc Gomez is doing an armboard for me at the moment. I will put GFS, ZYX and Opus1 on these arms.

Tang

Tang, Are you still breaking in your MSL Signature Platinum? How does it compare to these cartridges? I'm especially curious about how it compares to the Opus 1.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang, Are you still breaking in your MSL Signature Platinum? How does it compare to these cartridges? I'm especially curious about how it compares to the Opus 1.

Dear Peter,

I havent much time listening to the MSL. This past week I listened 95% the AtlasSL on 927.

I know you await the feedback. One thing I can say for sure the MSL cannot be better than the Opus1 by a significant margin if it ever be better at all. I have the MSL on my second SAT so variables are only on tt and the cart itself. Right out of the box, it sounded very good with all the same characters as Opus1. I was even fast mouth to emailed Gian saying it is a less expensive Opus1. That shows how similar they appear to me. My commemt here is not useful but this is all I can say at the moment.

Tang

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Sincerely Christian, in this case please also listen to the Vox Olympian.
The Vox Olympian sounded markedly better than Vox Palladium.
I heard both Systems twice and my findings are consistent.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing