I have a question.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I drive along all day singing along with my Emily Loizeau CD. The only problem is that she sings in French. So, is it possible to learn a foreign language without having a clue as to what you're saying? :D

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Its possible to learn the pronunciation like that yes - but that's just one piece of the jigsaw. If you haven't a clue what you're saying how are you going to communicate? :p

Well, you know what they say? Music is a universal language. :)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I drive along all day singing along with my Emily Loizeau CD. The only problem is that she sings in French. So, is it possible to learn a foreign language without having a clue as to what you're saying? :D
French is easy to fake. I get away with the Gallic shrug, the look of disdain and a few 'meh''s whenever I am over in France, and they have no clue that mon francais est tres mal.
I once had a 5 minute conversation about driving directions with a couple locals standing in the rain in Genoa during a downpour; my wife watched this through the windshield of the car with the wiper blades furiously sweeping. When i got back into the car, she said "Well?" I said, "I have no fking idea, i don't speak italian."
Or, my friend, who, when getting out of college years ago, did the grand tour with a buddy, and spent their last night eating at a fancy restaurant, known back in the day for its duck. (You know the place, not great anymore, but killer wine cellar). Anyway, they verified, when they got there, that the place took American Express. (His buddy had Dad's card for emergency purposes). At the end of what was undoubtedly a delicious, elaborate, and no doubt tres cher meal, the captain presented the l'addition. The buddy whipped out the ol Amex card, at which point, ze captain says, mockingly, 'C'est domage, monsieur, we do not take ze American Express card." "But, sputtered both guys, 'the man at the door downstairs said you did accept Amex." "Ah, said the Captain, smirking, 'but he does not speak English."

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The only way to learn a language properly is to immerse yourself in the culture. Wanna learn French? Move to France. Not Quebec BTW as there is far too much English spoken and you're likely to cheat when you're stuck. LOL.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

:D

I am in a similar boat. I looooooooooove Brazilian Music yet I can't utter one single word of Portuguese... not do I understand Portuguese ... Very rich musical tradition in Brazil...
I also like the singing of Indian Artists .. Don't understand a word ,,,Now to get Emily Loizeau CD, At least Haitian Creole and French are my native languages...

It is all in the music and the delivery methinks ..

I also love Idan Raichel most of the

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
:D

I am in a similar boat. I looooooooooove Brazilian Music yet I can't utter one single word of Portuguese... not do I understand Portuguese ... Very rich musical tradition in Brazil...
I also like the singing of Indian Artists .. Don't understand a word ,,,Now to get Emily Loizeau CD, At least Haitian Creole and French are my native languages...

It is all in the music and the delivery methinks ..

I also love Idan Raichel most of the

Frantz -- I'm the same way with Portuguese...incredibly sexy language. My current favorites are Maria Rita and Roberta Sa

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Frantz -- I'm the same way with Portuguese...incredibly sexy language. My current favorites are Maria Rita and Roberta Sa

Well, I sometimes sing along in Portuguese, too. Here's a singer that I happen to like. I think it is probably as much for her enthusiasm and good looks as anything else. Anyway, meet Nathalia Siqueira, a simple Brazilian redneck girl.

I can sing along with the English words to this one! :)

Last edited:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

You are not going to believe it EXACT SAME! I recently "discovered" Maria Rita and Roberta Sa thanks to Pandora!! Small World !! :) I really lke Maria Rita fist Album titled "Maria Rita" the subsequent Albums have a much more elaborated production but lack the immediacy and should we say, candor, of the first album, although they are IMO better .. I like "Segundo" and "Samba Meu"

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
You are not going to believe it EXACT SAME! I recently "discovered" Maria Rita and Roberta Sa thanks to Pandora!! Small World !! :) I really lke Maria Rita fist Album titled "Maria Rita" the subsequent Albums have a much more elaborated production but lack the immediacy and should we say, candor, of the first album, although they are IMO better .. I like "Segundo" and "Samba Meu"

And she has many of the features prized by the superficial male! ;)

'Samba Meu' is one of my go to demo CDs.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

-----Win, best is to meet her in person; get to know her, invite her in restos, cinemas, cabarets, Classical concert halls, Jazz clubs, give her some nice flowers (every day), take her out for dinner (every day), good food, fine wine (every day), and you'll learn quicker that way, and under the very best possible circumstances. :b

But not only that; you'll get to know what she's saying, and you as well. :b

hifitommy

there are a bunch of jazz discs with japanese (i think) female singers who learned to sing the lyrics phonetically. some are fairly good but it rather bothers me knowing that they have no idea what they are singing. i would much rather hear them sing in a foreign language of their own and expressing the lyrics with real feeling.

i love to hear tunes in brazilian portugese jazz as many times the words have their own rhythm. french not so much.

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
There is a Japanese group called "The Mountbattens" who are named after the character "Leggy Mountbatten" who managed The Ruttles, who were an extremely funny spoof band of the Beetles (one song title was "I am the waitress"). They play the songs very well, but the lead singer's English is pretty poor. It's weird to see them singing these songs, because the humor is so British, even Pythonesque, and I can't help but feel, possibly incorrectly, that they don't get it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
No... I think you'll find that's "guilty feet"

-----Lol Alan, not only I'm French, but from Quebec, and our traditional music is very rhythmic indeed; with lots of foot tapping, spoons spelling spells (clacking each other), rigodons, wood marionette dancers, girls dancing and stripping ;), violins, accordions, flutes, harmonicas, pianos, and all that rhythm jazz. :b ...Indeed a lot of soul in all of that.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing