I don't know how you did it but thank you everyone!!!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Attachments

• Thelonious-Monk-with-John-Coltrane-–-At-Carnegie-Hall.jpg
    Thelonious-Monk-with-John-Coltrane-–-At-Carnegie-Hall.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 79

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Good read
The Ken Burns doc JAZZ also comes to mind

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
From a pure music appreciation stance the list is not perfect. It is IMO sort of a cop out to include "best of albums" in a list like this.Furthermore some deserving artists get left off in the numbers game. Debate could be haf as to what was actually the artists best work.Most of these artist could be deemed noth gifted and originators of certain "styles of jazz."" With respect to Miles Davis we could rename his band The Mile Davis School of jazz.J
We can ask the question was Bllie Holiday really a blues singer? Charlie Parker is the King of Bop. Fats Waller for stride piano. Improvisation was such an important part of jazz because many of these guys had no formal training.
As they were adopted by the white social elite, many like Duke Ellington ,Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong shifted their musical choices to appeal to the new audience.

All told this is a pretty good snapshot of rhe sevelopment of jazz.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Greg. That is seriously good music! I put it in my Wishlist on HDTracks waiting for a discount code :).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

All told this is a pretty good snapshot of rhe sevelopment of jazz.
That was a great video Greg. It reminded me though how I know absolutely nothing about vocabulary of Jazz! I have a long way to go there but fortunately I really enjoy the music.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Thanks Greg. That is seriously good music! I put it in my Wishlist on HDTracks waiting for a discount code :).
I'm glad you liked it . I was thinking about browsing through the jazz selections on HD Tracks and making some selctions for you. Interetingly that is not a jazz classic but was done by Jefferson Airplabe no less. It's not necessary that you purchase every selection I suggest. I plan to browse the HDTtracks jazz offerings and make some more selections.The good thing is this gives me a reason to leaf throigh the classics and my favorites. Maybe I can put up a few every weec

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Two of the Greatest

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I'm glad you liked it . I was thinking about browsing through the jazz selections on HD Tracks and making some selctions for you. Interetingly that is not a jazz classic but was done by Jefferson Airplabe no less. It's not necessary that you purchase every selection I suggest. I plan to browse the HDTtracks jazz offerings and make some more selections.The good thing is this gives me a reason to leaf throigh the classics and my favorites. Maybe I can put up a few every weec
I will be indebted to you if you can do that Greg. I spend a lot of time searching for download versions of the recommendations as that is my preferred version of buying. Much appreciate your kindness for doing that.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Speaking of Steps To Heaven, it has shown up this week on HDTracks as a DSD64 download. Curiously, they note it is sourced from a 16/44.1 master. WTF is all I can say about that. That Oscar Peterson/Dick Cavett clip is a classic and one I have used a few times as a educational tool and to show how great a musician OP was to those who don't know. He is the master!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

LarsS

Nov 11, 2014
Stockholm
Zaz Paris.jpg

Apart from Zaz being a really, really tremendously talented singer, celebrating Paris and celebrating life, this is a record to enjoy life ... in Paris ...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
great call. we enjoy listening to this one...

zaz.jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
coltrane sound.jpg

Contains Equinox

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I bought this on vinyl a few years ago and wasn't quite taken with it. I'll give it another shot in the next while now.
Music is a matter of taste. As previously stated this is not classic jazz but I beleive is an excellnt choice for the novice. ENJOY

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing