HP- Why I Quit the Absolute Sound or: Path to Personal Revelation

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Just to be really clear Gary. I owned everything Arnie made, including an IRS. I never owned any Genesis other than the Gen2 .I believe they were terrific speakers and I have not heard any of the products since Arnie has left.
In terms of full disclosure all one needs to do is ask me and I would happily tell you my feelings.
Gary in your case it seems that you have made your company virtually invisible domestically since I never see anyone talk about it.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Is this the invisible company?

Or this?

genisis.jpg

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
If I was talking about Infinity ( which is today no longer a power) or Genesis which I barely hear about I would not have to be cute.
I was talking about the two major players today who both build box speakers albeit with fancy boxes.
Do i need to spell the names for you?

That's all very well, but why did you respond that way to a post which referred specifically by name to the Infinity IRS, and why call Wilson a "west coast company" when they are located almost 1000 miles from the West Coast?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
That's all very well, but why did you respond that way to a post which referred specifically by name to the Infinity IRS, and why call Wilson a "west coast company" when they are located almost 1000 miles from the West Coast?
Well they aren't an east cost company :)
I aplogize since I live in Florida its all west to me!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I, for one, am confused by this "west coast" and "powerhouse" rhetoric.

And I certainly lost the connection with HP's little "gem" of insight.

Bob

+1!

Happily my speakers are manufactured in Italy, quite far from this suspicious zone people are referring to. ;)

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 155

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
When did Soundlab start making speakers in Italy?

As far as I know SoundLabs are manufactured in the Utah, but Sonus Faber is made in Italy, excepting the new Venere series that is made in China.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
As far as I know SoundLabs are manufactured in the Utah, but Sonus Faber is made in Italy, excepting the new Venere series that is made in China.

Your profile lists your speakers as Sound Labs...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Micro has been using SF Aidas for several months now.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

caesar

May 30, 2010
Did you feel the same thing when Infinity dominated the scene vis a vis the then unheard of priced $25K IRSs?

That speaker was before my time. I have no problems with dominance. But being a student of business history, business dominance is usually very shortlived. Look at the turnover in the Fortune 500 every 10 years. Companies become successful because of certain innovation. Then they fail to innovate and die or become a lot less relevant. Kodak ruled cameras until digital photography took over. IBM was a juggernaut for years, and then mainframes became virtually irrelevant, and IBM almost went under in the early 1990’s. It was unthinkable! Then it was Microsofts turn to be the big gorilla. They were hated by everyone, and had the justice department on their ass. But what is destroying them is also a failure to innovate. Now with PC purchases dropping at record rates and applications moving to the cloud, Microsoft is on a path to irrelevancy. Google is a big gorilla today, but with the world moving to small screen, mobile devices, their advertising revenue will greatly suffer. And although Google may not disappear, they may become irrelevant if they don’t innovate.

As for audio, we only have half baked opinions about what is best. There were very few comparisons done. We just have a few guys yelling out that they think some speaker is the best. Take the Q5 as an example. People talk about its transparency. But it’s not as transparent as the Martin Logan CLX. So it may be more transparent than other big speakers. But how many speakers was it compared to? YG, Wilson, and others may have something to say about that. But the lack of comparisons really hurt TAS. When watching a sporting event, we all want that expert analyst to explain what’s going on. Instead we get the equivalent of a bunch of drunken fans in a bar yelling their player or team is the best.

We already beat up Valin like a drum, so let me start beating on his partner, Harley. Harley’s work is absolutely worthless because he approaches everything he writes about as a brand new idea. Using the previous example of transparency, he goes on and on for pages describing what transparency is. The problem for the readers is that we all know what transparency is. Transparency is not a revolutionary concept to his readers and doesn’t need to be defined. Instead, he should be looking to make connections to something his readers are already familiar with. But he fails to connect an old, easily understood idea to something new, he comes across as mumbling and adds no value to the conversation. He has heard a lot of gear in his life, and his readers have heard some of that gear also. He would be so much more effective if he just connected his findings to stuff people are familiar with. How does the transparency of the Q7 compare with Alexandria XLF? The new YG? Martin Logan CLX? What a concept! Communications 101! And transparency is just one element... Stereophile, while not comprehensive in their comparisons, at least tries to do this. For TAS, on the other hand, looking for the state of art, it’s a must to help those chasing the dream of a live Dead Show or a Hendrix concert in their home, or traveling back in time to catch Horowitz in Moscow. But I’m not holding my breath…

So I don't think we have any substantive domination. We only have well orchestrated claims of domination of a by a bunch of loud guys.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing