HP- Why I Quit the Absolute Sound or: Path to Personal Revelation

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Did you feel the same thing when Infinity dominated the scene vis a vis the then unheard of priced $25K IRSs?

I think and I expect the slings and arrows to follow that most people that buy expensive gear are influenced by many factors. The want and need to something or someone to positively reinforce a decision is very strong. I am not saying that some of these highly regarded brands are bad I just think they are FAR from the best available and that some purchasers just follow the heard.
If you tell a story enough times people start to believe it is true!

I believe that those two west coast companies have a done a much better job than their competition in convincing listeners that they are correct.
I personally don't care for either. I cant listen to either for any extended periods without wanting to shut the things off.
That is just me.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I am a bit with Ceasar at this point , magico is indeed a lot in the press , but its merely a vision on LS designing not the vision , i dont see it as a domination or anything like that , merely a matter of taste , there are other also very interesting visions and brands .
But people always want to put a the best sticker on something , it works at the olympic games but not in audio

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
ElliotG is correct as much as hate to admit it

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I think and I expect the slings and arrows to follow that most people that buy expensive gear are influenced by many factors. The want and need to something or someone to positively reinforce a decision is very strong. I am not saying that some of these highly regarded brands are bad I just think they are FAR from the best available and that some purchasers just follow the heard.

I believe that those two west coast companies have a done a much better job than their competition in convincing listeners that they are correct.
I personally don't care for either. I cant listen to either for any extended periods without wanting to shut the things off.
That is just me.

Time for garyprotein and garylkoh to chime in ;)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

If Elliot G can't listen to the IRS or Genesis for any extended periods of time, that's fine by me. I'll defend his right to say it too..... I know that garyprotein will spend hours and hours listening to his IRS, and we sometimes have difficulty clearing the room out at the end of the day during shows.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI

That is just me.

How come ElliotG doesn't have a signature that indicates that he's a dealer?

IMO, comments made by dealers about products that they don't sell are meaningless.

PS, Elliot - I'm sure you don't remember me, but I'm the guy that bought the ARC D-150 from you, that HP referred to as a D-150A.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Elliot has been gently reminded to amend his signature to reflect his industry participation as per WBF's rules.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
If Elliot G can't listen to the IRS or Genesis for any extended periods of time, that's fine by me. I'll defend his right to say it too..... I know that garyprotein will spend hours and hours listening to his IRS, and we sometimes have difficulty clearing the room out at the end of the day during shows.
I don't believe i ever said anything about the IRS or the Gen 5 sir. I have always liked Arnie's work and although not in contact with him I considered him a friend.
Gary you don"t ever seem to follow the conversation without how it affects you!

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
How come ElliotG doesn't have a signature that indicates that he's a dealer?

IMO, comments made by dealers about products that they don't sell are meaningless.

PS, Elliot - I'm sure you don't remember me, but I'm the guy that bought the ARC D-150 from you, that HP referred to as a D-150A.
it says in my profile I am at a dealer and my signature wont let me do anything to it. I have tried

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I don't believe i ever said anything about the IRS or the Gen 5 sir. I have always liked Arnie's work and although not in contact with him I considered him a friend.

From post #221, referring to Magico and the Infinity IRS

That is just me.

I'm sure one of the moderators can help you with your signature...:)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

In post #221 above, you responded to Myles about the Infinity

Did you feel the same thing when Infinity dominated the scene vis a vis the then unheard of priced $25K IRSs?

with

That is just me.

I wasn't going to say anything until:

Is it just rbbert and I who thought that you were referring to the two West Coast companies Infinity and Genesis?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
it says in my profile I am at a dealer and my signature wont let me do anything to it. I have tried

Right at the top of the page, next to [Log Out] - click [Settings]

On the Settings page, on the left hand column go down to the box [My Settings]

Click [Edit Signature]

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
From post #221, referring to Magico and the Infinity IRS

I'm sure one of the moderators can help you with your signature...:)

Actually, I believe he was referring to Magico and Wilson and NOT the IRS. The reply was in response to Myles, who was referring to what was considered an expensive speaker in the old days.

I believe you misinterpreted Elliot's comments.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
"West Coast companies" almost has to mean Infinity and Magico in this context, since Wilson is in Utah and Infinity in Southern California. Myles specifically (and only) mentioned the IRS in his post.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Elliot,

I am one of those who appreciates and valuates your contributions to this forum. However I found your references to west coast companies too ambiguous and mysterious - I can not imagine where manufacturers are located.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
"West Coast companies" almost has to mean Infinity and Magico in this context, since Wilson is in Utah and Infinity in Southern California. Myles specifically (and only) mentioned the IRS in his post.

Well I guess you made a wrong assumption then because in the context of the conversation, it is clear, in EG's comments about the IRS he was not referring to them.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Well I guess you made a wrong assumption then because in the context of the conversation, it is clear, in EG's comments about the IRS he was not referring to them.

He made that comment later; from what had been posted, the only reasonable interpretation was that he was referring to the IRS. If he did not mean that, he should have been more clear in his earlier post.

It's all about accountability; some people care about it, others not so much. I don't know Elliot G at all, but from the last several posts in this forum, it appears that he should try to improve his.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
He made that comment later; from what had been posted, the only reasonable interpretation was that he was referring to the IRS. If he did not mean that, he should have been more clear in his earlier post.

It's all about accountability; some people care about it, others not so much. I don't know Elliot G at all, but from the last several posts in this forum, it appears that he should try to improve his.

Well your "reasonable interpretation" was wrong. I understand how hard it is for some on these forums to admit they are wrong, but guess what, you are wrong!

Lastly, what is the difference. Let's say it was the IRS he was referring to, which he was not, is there some rule on this thread that because the owner of the company that makes these speakers post here, one cannot criticize them?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
If I was talking about Infinity ( which is today no longer a power) or Genesis which I barely hear about I would not have to be cute.
I was talking about the two major players today who both build box speakers albeit with fancy boxes.
Do i need to spell the names for you?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I apologize for not wanting to mention the two companies by name. I was trying to show some restraint( not really part of my personality).
The two major high end speaker companies of our day. one starts with a M and the other with a W.
Sorry I have become comfortably numb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing