Howdy!!!

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
New member here, as I just found this great site!!

I am planning on assembling an extremely substantial new system for late this year that is going to be an assault on the best that a number of companies produce. I have had two transcendental experiences with high end audio in my life and now I am at a point where I am going to see what the best of the best sounds like. My first experience was back in 1984 at an audio store in San Antonio, TX. That system featured a monster pair of Linn Isobarik speakers powered by a 6 pack of Naim amps with a LP-12 TT. The LP was a London/Decca with Mehta/Sutherland/Pavarotti/LPO (an album I was VERY familiar with) and my friends and I were BLOWN AWAY by what we heard. I was so stunned that a month later, as I was about to start my one and only job as a high school band director, I found myself in the local teacher's credit union taking out a loan for $2,500 for my own LP-12....

In 2004 I encountered Boulder and Focal. My good friend had a store in Austin, TX and he had in his reference room a pair of Focal Nova Utopia Be's, Boulder's 2050 monoblocks and 2010 preamp/2020 DAC/2008 Phono, an Accuphase DP-100/DC-101 (DAC/Transport) with all Tara Labs reference cabling. I heard that system at least 4 nights a week for months. The most amazing was one night with a CD from Wagner's Ring Cycle (Solti/Culshaw/Vienna/Decca) and it was Die Gotterdammerung....I started freaking out during the music leading up to Siegfried's Funeral Music....I swear, I was transported to the Sofiensaal in Vienna, 1964 about 6 feet behind Solti and Windgassen (our Siegfried) about 30' away....totally spooky and totally mind blowing...never had I realized that a recording could be so bloody life like!!!

These two amazing events, nearly 20 years apart, are what has set me on this path towards audio enlightenment....if such a thing is possible!!

SO, I am looking forward to seeing and hearing what the best offered is by a number of companies!! And I will gladly share the experiences here!

Many thanks,

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
New member here, as I just found this great site!!

I am planning on assembling an extremely substantial new system for late this year that is going to be an assault on the best that a number of companies produce. I have had two transcendental experiences with high end audio in my life and now I am at a point where I am going to see what the best of the best sounds like. My first experience was back in 1984 at an audio store in San Antonio, TX. That system featured a monster pair of Linn Isobarik speakers powered by a 6 pack of Naim amps with a LP-12 TT. The LP was a London/Decca with Mehta/Sutherland/Pavarotti/LPO (an album I was VERY familiar with) and my friends and I were BLOWN AWAY by what we heard. I was so stunned that a month later, as I was about to start my one and only job as a high school band director, I found myself in the local teacher's credit union taking out a loan for $2,500 for my own LP-12....

In 2004 I encountered Boulder and Focal. My good friend had a store in Austin, TX and he had in his reference room a pair of Focal Nova Utopia Be's, Boulder's 2050 monoblocks and 2010 preamp/2020 DAC/2008 Phono, an Accuphase DP-100/DC-101 (DAC/Transport) with all Tara Labs reference cabling. I heard that system at least 4 nights a week for months. The most amazing was one night with a CD from Wagner's Ring Cycle (Solti/Culshaw/Vienna/Decca) and it was Die Gotterdammerung....I started freaking out during the music leading up to Siegfried's Funeral Music....I swear, I was transported to the Sofiensaal in Vienna, 1964 about 6 feet behind Solti and Windgassen (our Siegfried) about 30' away....totally spooky and totally mind blowing...never had I realized that a recording could be so bloody life like!!!

These two amazing events, nearly 20 years apart, are what has set me on this path towards audio enlightenment....if such a thing is possible!!

SO, I am looking forward to seeing and hearing what the best offered is by a number of companies!! And I will gladly share the experiences here!

Many thanks,

Great so share a similar first experience with you - the active six Naim amplifier Linn Isobarik with the LP12. I listened to it at KJ Leisure Sound in London, also in the early 80's, and was astonished on how good and emotional a Coltrane recording could sound. My remembrance is that it did not seem an audio system - the recording was coming from a room filled with sound with plenty of soul and rhythm.

Welcome to WBF!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and welcome to the What's Best Forum. Looks like you have quite the background of high end audio with live music on an almost daily basis to boot. What a great combo! I too have had two really amazing events, nearly 20 years apart and I got into this hobby for the same enlightenment. It's a wonderful journey.

Tom

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
Thanks all for the welcome!!

Some of my best memories deal with live music, to hearing the world's great orchestras in London, New York, Chicago, Cleveland and Vienna to hearing great orchestras on tour (Israel Phil, London SO, Royal Phil) to even respectable concerts with college orchestras (a stunning Mahler Symphony No. with the Univ. of Michigan). Best of all was an emotionally charge concert with the Chicago SO in Austin, TX. This was in the mid 1980's. The orchestra's equipment truck had crashed in west Texas and many old and fine string instruments were either badly damaged or destroyed. The concert started an hour late and when Sir Georg walked onto the stage the audience roared in appreciation.....but that roar was NOTHING compared to what happened at the final chord of Mahler's 5th....Never and I mean NEVER have I heard an ovation like the one that bellowed from the 3200 people packed in the Bass Concert Hall...that was undoubtedly the finest single classical concert I have ever had the chance to hear and I still wonder if I could possibly build a system to recreate that level of excitement.....

Even though I am planning a killer system, I will stall always love to hear live classical music!

Cheers,

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing