how to calculate digital volume and average frequency data from recording

saturna

Mar 30, 2015
Hi;

I am a programmer (numerous languages) and I have been asked by an artist friend to help him with a project. His project involves visualizing an audio stream, sort of like those 1990's screen savers that responded to the music being played.

He wants to keep it pretty simple to start. He'd like to digitally represent the "average frequency" and the "volume." He has matched the colours of the spectrum to the frequency range of the sounds which he has recorded and he'd like the "intensity" to vary according to the volume.

I think I can handle most of this but I do not know of tools that can turn audio recordings into a stream of data values (volume and frequency). I am sure that such libraries exist, I just don't know them. Some initial internet searches have not been very productive.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get started?

Thanks, saturna

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Hi Saturna,
unfortunately the only software analysis I personally know of is not available in software form beyond its creator and its use in a specific audio analysis hardware measurement-analysis product (still no good for what you want and rather expensive anyway, especially when not used to full capability-functionality).
If no-one has any suggestions here then another good place for such a request as this would be http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/
They have a fair few developers on there, although many there seem DSP focused in a slightly different way to your request.
There is one other I may know of but need to find out where he currently posts and userid to contact as I have dropped out of following him for a little while; if I find it will post or PM you.
In the meantime no harm asking on hydrogenaudio, just be aware some may be a bit hard work but please do not quote me saying that :)
Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing