How long does it take to develop into a talented reviewer that other audiophil trust?

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
None of that is known to me. What's the provenance of your 'information'?

I've read some of what you've written, spare me.

w
It happened many years ago, back in the early days of The Audio Critic in the late 70s, yet I remember it clearly. I subscribed to The Audio Critic for the first 8 issues. I would have renewed, but Aczel's "review" of the Fourier speaker in which, as it was discovered later, he had a significant financial stake was a very strong deterrent. The speaker was unknown to everyone except Aczel and perhaps a few of his associates, but when his over the top review of it was published, I smelled a rat. Something didn't add up, and that was a significant reason I did not renew. As it turned out my suspicions were well founded, and Kal and others may be able to describe the subscriber uproar that ensued. In any event Aczel lost an enormous amount of credibility due to this self promotional "review" and never recovered. Anyone who had read the publication knew of this fiasco.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
This isn't an urban legend. Aczel later acknowledged not just his owning but also having a hand in designing the Fourier and the computer program they used. There's even an article about Fourier from the NY Times. His former marketing and management guy also confirmed. Chris Terris was it? That's pretty good provenance. Pity, the speakers were supposed to be pretty good.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Audioblazer,

You posted a very interesting observation. I have listened to systems where speakers are along the long wall and very close to it having great depth. Effectively, why shouldn't a speaker close to a back wall create depth of soundstage if the recording has preserved it? I remember once reading that a Philip Newell designed room with in-wall speakers had a fantastic soundstage with great depth. I have to say I was astonished - it is why I remember of it!

Hi Microstrip, that's interesting . I have not heard of a system which project a soundstage in front of the speakers . Have not heard doesn't mean can't be done . Thanks for the correction.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hi Microstrip, that's interesting . I have not heard of a system which project a soundstage in front of the speakers . Have not heard doesn't mean can't be done . Thanks for the correction.

I'm not sure Microstrip is saying that the soundstage was projected in front of the speakers. I would guess that he means there was the illusion the front wall disappeared. I've read about this effect, but have never heard it. It's been my experience that speakers close to the front wall don't project the illusion of depth very well at all.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Hmmm . Front wall dissapear ? There is this dealer in my country who love to toe in the speakers so much that the directed sound crosses about 2-3 ft in front of the seat giving a tunnel effect & illusion of some ( not much) depth but the wall is still there !!!
Anyway I don't see myself or any of my close audio buddies placing there speakers 1-2 ft from the wall & expect much illusion of depth

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing