How long does it take to develop into a talented reviewer that other audiophil trust?

caesar

May 30, 2010
How long does it take to develop into a talented reviewer that other audiophiles trust? Any one have any thoughts? There are no apprenticeships for this work.

Seems like a tough job. You need audiophiles to trust you. (And that trust can be easily destroyed- just ask the Analytic Sound guys.) But you also need for manufacturers to trust you with their equipment. And you need to be a rainmaker and bring in the ad revenue. An impossible job?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
How long does it take to develop into a talented reviewer that other audiophiles trust? Any one have any thoughts? There are no apprenticeships for this work.

Seems like a tough job. You need audiophiles to trust you. (And that trust can be easily destroyed- just ask the Analytic Sound guys.) But you also need for manufacturers to trust you with their equipment. And you need to be a rainmaker and bring in the ad revenue. An impossible job?
There is no need to be a rainmaker and bring in the ad revenue. In fact, reviewers should have no concern or involvement with such activities.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
And the question is... how do you post a thread that will be locked asap.

Carnac.jpg

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I think this is a fair and interesting question. I certainly don't trust most magazine print reviews (I trust your average audiophile much more). I think some of the reviewers are very talented writers who unfortunately can't write what they probably want to.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
There is no need to be a rainmaker and bring in the ad revenue. In fact, reviewers should have no concern or involvement with such activities.

+1

Where did Caesar get that from??????

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Ok, I'll play this game.

Let's turn it around... who would I trust?

1) Print reviewer? Zine reviewer? Hmmm, gotta think on this one. I need years of comps, years of listening, known listening biases, writing and communication skills, not to mention the conflicts of interest I know of.

The audiophile? I need years of comps, years of listening, known listening biases, and investments in the gear biases (conflicts of interest).

Dealers/distributors? I need years... well you get the idea.

To me it, it is a function of skin in the game. The dealers and distributors really do know best, IMHO. They have to select products that satisfy their clients needs. They cannot select or sell bad sounding products.

Fidelity investments requires their portfolio managers to invest in the funds they manage.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As a rule I trust reviewers information, comments and findings, but I read them mainly for information and enjoyment, particularly those written by talented writers with very good writing skills. Besides we can learn a lot about what and how to listen critically from their examples. Sometimes reviews are centered around some specif characteristics of the equipment and become an interesting essay about that subject, much more interesting that the piece under review. I appreciate long reviews, filled with examples referring to musical excerpts.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com

+1 to Kal. Huge thumbs up on that one!

Are you trying to figure out how to become a reviewer? Don't! It's not easy, and you have to get used to changing your system around a lot.

Audiophiles' trust? Ha! Where to begin?

Alan Sircom

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Aug 11, 2010

Generally, trust does not emerge until a few months after you retire or die. You then have about a year of trust, then periodic moments of being remembered as a trusted resource.

Audiophiles have long, long memories; they want the reviewers they trusted when they started out to still be in circulation and are suspicious of any 'newcomers' who emerged in the intervening period. As this can sometimes include a 30 year hiatus between that first review and their latest round of review reading, the names are likely to have changed.

Generally though, what engenders trust in a reviewer is consistency. There are significant pressures today (mostly, it must be said, from the enthusiasts) to be the Audiophile Champion, trying to support an industry that receives nothing but opprobrium from without. This has meant those who write a fair review of a product are considered to be unfairly negative about that product, and more than a couple of negative reviews in relatively quick succession paint the reviewer as Benedict Arnold with a tonearm. This means that where you could - and should - be able to follow the opinions of a trusted reviewer, that now possibly needs some nuancing. Many reviewers today have two settings - default, and wow! mode. The default setting is 'this is an OK to good product, but ultimately not one that I'd choose to use in daily life.' and wow! mode is 'this really pushes my buttons and I'd be happy to use it (if I could afford it or I wasn't still paying off the product from the same category I bought last year)'. And if those 'wow!' products are consistently directed toward an audio performance you either like - or, just as significantly, intensely dislike - the reviewer's consistency is retained, and that should suggest someone trustworthy.

In great fairness, some of this comes about because we don't receive so many really dreadful products anymore. The market thins out the pack fairly quickly, and while not everything is to everyone's liking, the products that are only to the liking of the designer and their friends tend to disappear without a trace fairly rapidly. However, there's also an unfortunate side effect of audio still having a strongly review-led component to product success; we can bury a product for the least thing, and usually not something we expected. We've all accidentally killed off a good product through the merest slip of the keyboard at one time or another, and that responsibility hangs heavy.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You can't put a time-stamp on trust. It's earned over time through consistent, honest and unbiased reviews (regardless of what the product is). Every reviewer has a different approach in how they write/express their opinion, and not all audiophiles will find value in every approach. I am personally bored to tears with over-the-top details on the technology of a component. That doesn't mean I trust them (the review and the reviewer) less, but I do value their writings less as most of it is uninteresting to me. Although trust and value are separate issues, there is a connection that must be created in order for me to make a fair assumption on a reviewers effectiveness. I tend to prefer shorter reviews with on emphasis on how a piece sounds within a system and an overall opinion of the quality or craftsmanship. I also tend to read more music reviews as that is my primary interest.

I think I veered off-course slightly here, but I hope you still trust and value my opinion of the opinion makers!;):)

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
As usual Alan you made my morning.

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
I don't trust any reviewers. Heck, I don't trust anyone. Well, I trust Kal because I know him, I know his tastes, and I've heard his (weekend home) system many times. But I never trust any stranger's opinion.

--Ethan

Alan Sircom

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Aug 11, 2010
I don't trust any reviewers. Heck, I don't trust anyone. Well, I trust Kal because I know him, I know his tastes, and I've heard his (weekend home) system many times. But I never trust any stranger's opinion.

--Ethan

That's OK, I wouldn't trust me, ether.

Only this morning, I used my credit card to buy stuff without asking my permission first.

But the whole not trusting any stranger's opinion must be a bit tough. I'm willing to take statements like "cyanide tastes of bitter almonds" or even "watch out for that falling tree!" pretty much at face value with little or no need to experiment.

Thinking about it still more, I probably would react to the 'falling tree' statement without even needing to see the person's lumberjack credentials. Trusting soul that I am.

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM

--Ethan

Ethan,

There are a myriad of reviewers out there (past and present) whose reviews are largely based on subjective (read listening) experiences.

Is that the reason why you don't trust any of them, given your bias towards measurement oriented analysis, versus reviews that are based on "listening" to the actual product?

GG

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Fidelity investments requires their portfolio managers to invest in the funds they manage.

Yes, but what % of their net worth?
Can they take a short position against their investment to ride out a storm, that the common person in that fund does not have that Luxury[short position]?
etc.

Best to you,
zz.

wakibaki

Jan 26, 2013
I trust Ethan Winer. (Not actually a reviewer.)

I trust Doug Self. (Not actually a reviewer.)

I trust Peter Aczel. (Actually a reviewer.)

Basically I 'trust' information sources according to their provenance, as laid out by Stuart Brand in 'The Media Lab.' That means, on the basis of what I know about them, most of which is garnered from reading what they wrote.

That's the way it is for most people, isn't it? Just... some people don't know how to critically evaluate what they read for reliability (evidently, given that there are so many reviewers in employment that I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them.)

How do you get the trust of audiophiles? Easy, be an audiophile, they're unmistakeable. I say easy, but in my case it'll never happen, I'm just not capable of it.

w

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
How do you get the trust of audiophiles? Easy, be an audiophile, they're unmistakeable. I say easy, but in my case it'll never happen, I'm just not capable of it.

w
So in other words, you look down your nose at "audiophiles" because "they're unmistakeable" [sp]. Whatever that is supposed to mean.

Yeah, let's throw 'em all under the bus.

Too bad for you.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
For me, it's more about trusting the publication.

It seems that some online magazines will allow anyone to write reviews, as long as the pay scale equals zero. Even I have been asked to write, and the guy never inquired about my setup at all. I tend to dismiss those publications out of hand without taking the time to sort out who their good writers may be, yet they seem to retain credibility in a lot of circles. Go figure.

Some examples of those who write for such outfits:

The reviewer who has a Rega Planar 3 in his system. It's not that it won't play records okay, but is he really the guy to review high-end turntables?
The reviewer who said on an open forum that anything more than $300 is too much for a phono stage. Really, now.
The reviewer who posted photos of his system, complete with uncovered massive glass windows directly behind it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing