How far do you sit from your speakers?

I think I'm about 13 feet back from the speaker plane. MartinLogan suggest a position between 1 and 2 times the distance between the centre of the panels, and I'm at about 1.5 X. I'd like to sit a little closer (say 1.25 X), but the layout of the room is conducive to that arrangement. Oh well...

Typically 4.2m (14 feet). But when I get concert tickets I never buy front row places!

When you are listening far from the speakers the speaker placement becomes more critical, but the listening spot is wider. I used a USB sound card spectrometer to help tuning the position of my speakers after I got a reasonable balance.

Martin Logan Aerius hybrid stat, 9'-0" from center of each speaker to my head, speakers 4'-3" apart center to center, and about 2'-6" out from a special five and a half foot tall acoustic diffusion wall I built.

The measurement perpendicular to the invisible line going between front of speaker faces to my head is 8'-9".

The room is about 13'-6" wide by 18'-0" long and includes a stairway opening to the upstairs and an archway to another room about 5'-6" wide. The ceiling is 8'-3" high, hardwood floors with basement below and real lath and plaster walls and ceiling.

My Martin Logan Prodigy's are 9 feet on center and I sit 14 feet back = 1.55
My Custom Horns are 8 feet on center and I sit 11 feet back = 1.375

In the primary listening chair I sit 9 feet back. Tweeter to tweeter on the Dahlquist DQ-20's is 7 feet. My theater seats do recline so I would have to estimate that may add another foot to the distance. Interestingly, for some music I find the off-center seat to be the preferred position.

Last edited:
Hi

Just one thing make sure you are not seating in a null . As much care should be given to seating distance as to speaker position. A distance from the back wall, similar to the speaker's distance from its back wall would be a good starting (seating) point... This is not , of course, cast in stone.

Frantz

My Totem's are spread apart about 7' (fired straight ahead - no toe-in) and I sit back about 8' from the centre position. It sounds good to me.

John

My room is 18 feet wide by 23 feet long. I sit 12 feet away from the Maggies, which are 10 feet apart, center to center.

100_3667.jpg

100_3670.jpg

Nice room, but where did you get those TAS cover posters? I still have an old "Hand of God" TAS T-shirt around here somewhere...

Thanks. I was such a fan of TAS then. Was reading a new issue for about a month. lol

I got the posters straight from TAS, through mail order. These 2 posters, shipped rolled in a tube canister, took 1 year to swim to my country, the Philippines. They probably circumnavigated the globe too. lol

Jadis

Yuo seem to be sitting basically at the back wall.. Am I correct?

FRrantz

Nice room, but where did you get those TAS cover posters? I still have an old "Hand of God" TAS T-shirt around here somewhere...

Go to ebay and enter absolute sound. There is someone still selling some of the original covers (I have two in storage) but they will run you around $120. Many of them are the early covers like you see above on the left!

Jadis

Yuo seem to be sitting basically at the back wall.. Am I correct?

FRrantz

Yes, Frantz. Sitting at the back wall. Behind me are some panels of diffusers made of wood what is flushed against the wall. I wish I had at least a 3 feet more space at the back.

Go to ebay and enter absolute sound. There is someone still selling some of the original covers (I have two in storage) but they will run you around $120. Many of them are the early covers like you see above on the left!

I see it, Myles. Wow, $125 now huh. I should have gotten the ones with HP's signature, maybe they'll be worth a lot more. lol

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing