How do you organize your classical records ?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I would have bought the disc for a reason. If I bought it because I wanted to listen to a piece by a composer, I file it under that composer. If I bought it because of the conductor, or soloist, then it gets filed under the conductor or soloist (separate sections in my collection for that).

That's a really good way of looking at it and deciding how to then file it. Great tip!:)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
After years of procrastinating, I just started organizing my records in the last couple weeks, but haven't dared go near the classical yet. I'm gonna follow the label/composer approach as well, since I tend to think by 'label' first. I assume those of you who take this approach still separate classical from opera? And what about 'audiophile' labels as a whole separate category? Within classical or its own category that includes all genres (e.g. Sheffields, Levinsons, M&K, Wilson and other old audiophile labels- not newer remasters? I'll probably just put the standard reissues or remasters, e.g. Speakers Corner of Mercury with the real Living Presence.)

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
Arranged by Composer, then by work type (e.g. BEETHOVEN - Piano, BEETHOVEN - Symphonies, BEETHOVEN - Other), then by Opus - earliest works first.

There are of course CD's that don't fit this neat classification - at the end of the collection are a series of CD's arranged by artists, e.g. PIANO, SYMPHONIC WORKS, VOCAL, ANCIENT MUSIC, etc.

Keith,

Very nice! In the far right bookcase, three shelves down, is that Vladimir Ashkenazy?

Mike

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
There are of course CD's that don't fit this neat classification - at the end of the collection are a series of CD's arranged by artists, e.g. PIANO, SYMPHONIC WORKS, VOCAL, ANCIENT MUSIC, etc.

Keith,

Nice to see these great Aliavox boxes - I was listening to D. Quixote de la Mancha a few days ago. Dinastia Borgia's is still waiting for a another session near the player.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 99

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
+1, this is what I do.

Label, composer, conductor/orch in that order. I group all my LPs in lots by label i.e. emi, London, decca, Merc, RCA, etc and a sub group of orig pressings for each label and then alphabetical by composer. its how my brain works and is much easier to locate specific recordings.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Officially label, category, composer. However, most of the time, label, category, disorder ... :eek:

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Arranged by Composer, then by work type (e.g. BEETHOVEN - Piano, BEETHOVEN - Symphonies, BEETHOVEN - Other), then by Opus - earliest works first.

Oh, very nice shelving Keith. ...Well wall organized. :cool:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Officially label, category, composer. However, most of the time, label, category, disorder ... :eek:
I suspect that system is in heavy use by other audiophiles.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I don't know if you notice in general but CD collections look better overall on people's wall than LP collections. ...What do you think?

Another thing: It is quicker to locate a certain music CD than its LP counterpart, I think. ...For me anyway, it is.
...Less work, faster, and no ritual with all the cleaning stuff enchilada.

Plus! No getting up every 15 or 20 minutes with more ritual to perform. ...Means more relaxing time (last longer). ...Up to 80 minutes for a single CD.

But I'm not sure why I just said that, because you already knew that. :b

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
I don't know if you notice in general but CD collections look better overall on people's wall than LP collections. ...What do you think?

Another thing: It is quicker to locate a certain music CD than its LP counterpart, I think. ...For me anyway, it is.
...Less work, faster, and no ritual with all the cleaning stuff enchilada.

Plus! No getting up every 15 or 20 minutes with more ritual to perform. ...Means more relaxing time (last longer). ...Up to 80 minutes for a single CD.

But I'm not sure why I just said that, because you already knew that. :b

Could be, but I liked looking at record covers and the liner notes, too.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I would have bought the disc for a reason. If I bought it because I wanted to listen to a piece by a composer, I file it under that composer. If I bought it because of the conductor, or soloist, then it gets filed under the conductor or soloist (separate sections in my collection for that).

I agree with your point, but that doesn't address how you deal with all the unlabeled works. Does it all go unaccounted for?

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Very nice! In the far right bookcase, three shelves down, is that Vladimir Ashkenazy?

Thanks Mike! That would be Leonard Bernstein. This one:

Nice to see these great Aliavox boxes - I was listening to D. Quixote de la Mancha a few days ago. Dinastia Borgia's is still waiting for a another session near the player.

Well spotted Microstrip. I am quite a fan of Alia Vox and Jordi Savall - nearly everything they produce is interesting and worth listening to! What astounds me is the production quality - all that research, the sourcing of period instruments, and the scholarship are one thing. The authenticity and atmosphere of the performances are another. The incredible sound quality and beautifully produced book on SACD are just icing on the cake.

Oh, very nice shelving Keith. ...Well wall organized. :cool:

Thanks Bob, but it's only Ikea. I did consider getting custom shelves made, but custom shelves can't grow with my collection the way this rack has been growing. To illustrate, this was the rack in 2010:

... and this is what it looks like now:

I agree Bob, it is much easier to read the labels and the general fuss is less as well. If only they sounded as good as LP though!

I agree with your point, but that doesn't address how you deal with all the unlabeled works. Does it all go unaccounted for?

Not sure what you mean by an unlabelled work, Gary? If you mean something like Cantate Domino (which is a collection of liturgical music with no composer) or London Pride (a collection of English folk songs, composers unknown) - these are filed under "Miscellaneous Vocal Works".

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
True. For me, it's more of a nostalgia thing. Sure, if I want to read anything, I can go on the internet, which is what I do;
however, it's nice reading the liner notes.

Let me asking you this Mike; how many times do you honestly read the liner notes (all of it, if there are some of course) from brand new album covers, and also from older ones that you already played few times in the past?
And! ...From the CD liner notes as well?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
... it's only Ikea. I did consider getting custom shelves made, but custom shelves can't grow with my collection the way this rack has been growing.
To illustrate, this was the rack in 2010:

... and this is what it looks like now:

It looks awesome to me Keith; Ikea is great.

I agree Bob, it is much easier to read the labels (from CDs) and the general fuss is less as well.
If only they sounded as good as LP though!

For you, with your systems, alright. For me, with my systems, not alright.
And for everybody else, with their own system(s), it depends.
...On many things: The music recordings themselves (their quality engineering/mixing/recording/mastering/control),
and how the system (analog or/and digital) is set up in its overall presentation (components' quality, $$$ investment, and properly calibrated and adjusted).

There is the reality that we're all living in the now; and there is the possibility that we can all improve that reality eventually, if we truly want to.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Keith, assuming you bought a disk "for a reason" and that piece was the one you filed the disk under, how to you account for other pieces on the disk? How to you label them so you can find the "secondary" or "B side" works?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing