How do you "flex" or show nuance of your music system for visitors?

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
If you want a REAL percussion record that will knock your socks off, try this LP :)

http://www.discogs.com/Yasukazu-Amemiya-Summer-Prayer/release/2257735

We'll see in about a week or so. Thanks for the recommendation.

Dre

I finally received my copy of this LP. It is interesting music. This is a nice recording with very good soundstage and mid-upper bass content. It gets pretty dynamic at times as well. Guys with panels will really like this even more, if they don't overdrive them :), because it gives them a chance to really show some things those speakers do well.

Thanks for the recommendation Myles.

Dre

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I finally received my copy of this LP. It is interesting music. This is a nice recording with very good soundstage and mid-upper bass content. It gets pretty dynamic at times as well. Guys with panels will really like this even more, if they don't overdrive them :), because it gives them a chance to really show some things those speakers do well.

Dre

Glad you liked it. It does get very dynamic and the percussion/upper octaves are a cartridge's nightmare :)

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Glad you liked it. It does get very dynamic and the percussion/upper octaves are a cartridge's nightmare :)

Thankfully, both cartridges currently on my turntables sailed through as if nothing was going on. I guess that's why I thought it would be excellent on panels because of the rich, harmonic, detailed, and very transient quickness of the top end. If it get's resolved by the frontend, it's actually quite nice. This is probably even more so on panels (especially stats). Then again, if it doesn't get resolved, there is no joy in Mudville.

(Did I just use rich, harmonic, detailed and quick transient in the same sentence to describe the sound of a LPs top end?) Yep. Sure did...

Dre

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area

Dre

I got this album today as well. It has allot of interesting sounds which are confusing my dog.:D No issues tracking it either. I'll have to wait 4 to 6 weeks for the Ozone Percussion record to arrive according to Music Direct.

Sean

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I also got these in last week.

Berlioz – Symphonie Fantastique (Kojian conducting the Utah Symphony) - Reference Recording 45rpm double LP

Ravel – La Valse (Carlo Rizzi conducting the Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra) – Tacet, 33rpm

Both very nice recordings and music.

The Tacet plays from the inside out. Its the first record that I own that does that. Seems kind of strange. Side 2 is very dynamic and I have no tracking or distortion issues playing it. That said I wonder if antiskate requirements are any different when playing from the inside out? I'm guessing not but thought I would ask.

Side four of Symphonie Fantastique is very nice and quite dynamic. I tend to prefer the climaxes of classical music the most. The quiet and slow parts can get boring for me.

Thanks for recommending these Dre.

Sean

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
I also got these in last week.

Berlioz – Symphonie Fantastique (Kojian conducting the Utah Symphony) - Reference Recording 45rpm double LP

Ravel – La Valse (Carlo Rizzi conducting the Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra) – Tacet, 33rpm

Both very nice recordings and music.

The Tacet plays from the inside out. Its the first record that I own that does that. Seems kind of strange. Side 2 is very dynamic and I have no tracking or distortion issues playing it. That said I wonder if antiskate requirements are any different when playing from the inside out? I'm guessing not but thought I would ask.

Side four of Symphonie Fantastique is very nice and quite dynamic. I tend to prefer the climaxes of classical music the most. The quiet and slow parts can get boring for me.

Thanks for recommending these Dre.

Sean

I'm glad you like the LPs Sean.

The Ravel on Tacet does play from the inside out. I didn't mention it because it doesn't require any adjustment to antiskate settings. The performance and recording are excellent regardless of the LP cutting approach. If you think about the groove to groove spacing in an LP, it varies greatly per record. Many times, the dynamic excursion the stylus endures when playing a single groove at any moment in time is much greater than the groove spacing over that same distance (a silent groove would be the exception).

Dre

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles,

I used to have Summer Prayer on LP. Haven't ever seen it on CD. Have you?

Lee

No I haven't but that doesn't mean anything. Haven't really looked or it could have been released in Japan and never imported here. An ePay search might uncover a digital reissue.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Here are a few more in-session records that sometimes get worked into the mix based on my visitors music tastes.

Coryell-Khan – Two for the Road – Arista 33 RPM
Andreas Vollenweilder – White Winds – FM/CBS 33 RPM
The Dan Barrett Octet – Strictly Instrumental – Concord 33 RPM
Paul Simon – Hearts And Bones – Warner Bros. 33 RPM
Leonard Cohen - Songs From The Road – Columbia 33 RPM double LP
Alison Krauss - Forget About It – Rounder 33 RPM
Dead Can Dance – Into the Labyrinth – Mobile Fidelity Silver Label 33 RPM Double LP
Sara k. – Water Falls – Stockfisch 33 RPM DMM double LP
David Roth – Pearl Diver – Stockfisch 33 RPM DMM
Exotic Dances From The Opera – Eiji Oue conducting the Minnesota Orchestra - Reference Recordings 33 RPM
Rachmaninoff – Symphonic Dances - Eiji Oue conducting the Minnesota Orchestra - Reference Recordings 33 RPM

More to come?
Dre

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Dadawa - - - Sister Drum - - - - - JVC XRCD Japan

XR450999592.jpg - - - b_img2_11329.jpg - - -

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
You may also try this one.

Hirota Joji & Lockett Pete Taiko To Tabla.jpg

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What do you think about the Sheffield Drum Record/LP/CD/SACD?

It's OK but nothing compared to a few others such as the aforementioned album, Super Percussion or Percussion Museum (on the Super Analogue label), Music for Percussion on Gale Records (http://continuo.wordpress.com/2009/11/16/various-music-for-percussion/) or even Mallets, Melody and Mayhem (that I think you heard up at Ivan's last summer). There's just something funny about the reproduction of the low frequencies on the Sheffield D2D albums that just bothers me. Oh, I've never ever seen a volume 2 of percussion music from Gale either :( I also just ordered the Clearaudio album that Dre mentioned above also.

Have you heard Brent Lewis "Drum Sex"?

Both are excellent recordings of real drums and percussion.

No, but don't remember seeing that on LP.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Dre

Scary dynamic :) Like going from 0 to 100 in 3.2 secs!

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Another very good one don't know if available on vinyl ?????

Tian He Xun     Paramita.jpg

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
These two have been classics for many many years.
Jonasz Michel     La Fabuleuse Histoire De Mr Swing.jpg - - - Le Grand Bleu     Soundtrack.jpg - - -

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Myles, if you want to heart the Brent Lewis recording, you're going to have to break down and get the CD or listen to it on someone else's system.

I know vinyl is your thing, but is listening to a CD an unnatural act?:p

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Dadawa - - - Sister Drum - - - - - JVC XRCD Japan

View attachment 10744 - - - View attachment 10745 - - -

You may also try this one.

View attachment 10747

Another very good one don't know if available on vinyl ?????

View attachment 10751

These two have been classics for many many years.
View attachment 10752 - - - View attachment 10753 - - -

Andre, all your music selections deserve serious exploration from audiophiles not familiar with them.
Some of your selections I have, but many I don't. ...And by playing some samples I am discovering a new music library of exquisite beauty; Big Thanks! ...For sharing your love, your passion, the music you love (and now the music I love too), for being you.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Andre, all your music selections deserve serious exploration from audiophiles not familiar with them.
Some of your selections I have, but many I don't. ...And by playing some samples I am discovering a new music library of exquisite beauty; Big Thanks! ...For sharing your love, your passion, the music you love (and now the music I love too), for being you.

You are welcome Bob, it gives me great pleasure to be able to suggest good music, at least its good to me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing