How do you "flex" or show nuance of your music system for visitors?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Just for the 'record' (heh, heh), I said the originals kick the crap out of the very good AP releases ;). When I want to listen to "The Poll Winners", I invariably reach for my original mono over the AP reissue (which sounds very, very good). BTW, the subsequent releases by The Poll Winners are also very good sonically and for musical content.

As to original pressings, I'll paraphrase "I'd rather pay a fair price for a great copy than a great price for a fair copy"...

Yeah and I just can't listen to the monos for many reasons. Sure a mono cartridge might help but it won't solve all my issues. Jut never heard a mono group.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live CD. I know your sick of it if you go to audio shows.:)

that was peter breuninger's thread, but then he takes credit for overplaying musica nunda...i actually could enjoy them untill they turned up in his vids (sorry Peter, i had to get that out).

an overlooked jem from Nils lofgren is on his first live album, if you have a capable system (calling all wilson alexandria owners) the "bass & Drums" cut is awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHFUlmDJc5g&list=FLEKAjzBNtz73FzLCPJXQpYw&index=27

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Excellent! Very nice piece and recording. Some extremely deep bass in there, and another one of those "bass drums heard around the world" at the end.

Yes it will give your speakers a workout. I think it's track 4 that has some very impressive bass drum hits.:D

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
that was peter breuninger's thread, but then he takes credit for overplaying musica nunda...i actually could enjoy them untill they turned up in his vids (sorry Peter, i had to get that out).

an overlooked jem from Nils lofgren is on his first live album, if you have a capable system (calling all wilson alexandria owners) the "bass & Drums" cut is awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHFUlmDJc5g&list=FLEKAjzBNtz73FzLCPJXQpYw&index=27

From that video it does sound like a pretty challenging recording. At least it was challenging my computer speaker.:eek:

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Digging Aaron Neville-Warm Your Heart 45 rpm reissue right now.

Here's some digital.

James Taylor - Hourglass Track 4 Gaia in particular. SACD
Sara K - Hell or High Water. SACD
Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live CD. I know your sick of it if you go to audio shows.:)
Crown Imperial Dallas Wind Symphony. RR HRX 176.4/24
Godsmack -The Other Side. Acoustic SACD

Good stuff Sean. I think the last ting on your list I've listened to recently was the Aaron Neville.

Dre

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
When I had those big B&W 800 Matrix speakers, I would demo the Gates of Dafos from the RR Dafos LP. The ambiance of the hall can be heard at each whack of Mickey Hart's The Beast Drum. And of course, the throwing down of the drum set. Always jaw-dropping fun. :)

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Digital - Ray Brown Trio Live at the LOA (DSD sourced)...

Analog:

Herb Alpert LP "Rotation" on MFSL and the demo song is "Rotation." ...

Secret Policeman's Ball 1979 - Pete Townsend playing "Pinball Wizard" solo with acoustic guitar and singing live. ...

Chicago Transit Authority's first LP - The cut "I'm a Man" on the original Columbia pressing is as good as it gets. ...

The Beatles White Album - "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except For Me and My Monkey" is a great sounding cut...

For good measure, I'm going to add another LP and that would be Sonny Rollins "Way out West." Pick a song, any song, and you can't go wrong (and yeah, I'm a poet too). Seriously, this entire recording sounds great and blows me away. I bragged on this recording on this forum years ago and had some digital naysayers who never owned and never heard the Analog Productions version tell me that the recording was "just OK" and "nothing special." Sorry, they are dead wrong. This recording is something special and I still feel like it is something special every time I listen to it. It still blows me away that this recording was made in 1957. There is a reason that I said this recording should be a mandatory listening requirement for all wannabe recording engineers so they can hear what was laid down in 1957 with primitive reel to reel gear, tube microphones, and tube playback electronics and judge their recording abilities and how they are advancing the state of the art accordingly. Good luck with that.

Thanks for contributing Mark. I have the first and last albums you recommended and enjoy them regularly.

Absolutely agreed. It will cost you an arm and a leg, but an original pressing kicks the crap out of the Analogue Productions.
My copy of Way Out West is "only" an OJC reissue. :( But I enjoy it nonetheless! Can't wait to hear an original. Another reason to visit the great northwest again!

Dre

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Dre-I'm glad you called me out on that fact that I hadn't contributed to your thread. I was thinking about my choices and was trying to decide what to come up with and why I chose those songs instead of just naming some usual suspects. It would have been all too easy just to lay back and recite some audiophile nuggets like Human League "Don't You Want Me Baby" on the 12" 33 RPM version or Lionel Ritchie All Night Long" on 12" 33 RPM, or Frankie Goes to Hollywood "Relax" on 12" 45 RPM.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Dre-I'm glad you called me out on that fact that I hadn't contributed to your thread. I was thinking about my choices and was trying to decide what to come up with and why I chose those songs instead of just naming some usual suspects. It would have been all too easy just to lay back and recite some audiophile nuggets like Human League "Don't You Want Me Baby" on the 12" 33 RPM version or Lionel Ritchie All Night Long" on 12" 33 RPM, or Frankie Goes to Hollywood "Relax" on 12" 45 RPM.

I just bought 8-45 rpm Frankie Goes to Hollywood EPs on eBay this week for $5 each. Had one or two but am interested in hearing the rest!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I wish they would release Q's Jook Joint on LP. Lotsa tracks on that CD that would show a system off well.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012

Mark,

You could have said Linda Ronstadt or Leon Redbone. It didn't matter. What's important is if that's what you like to play and if it shows off your system well for visitors. I'd say go for it!

I hope others who haven't contributed yetwill think about it and join the fun. Not only does it let us know what plays well on your systems, it also helps us with discovering new or old music to enjoy. Now that's what this is all about!

Dre

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
This thread is a little bittersweet. I've been very fortunate to develop great friendships through my audio hobby and for me, listening to music is much more fun when you get to enjoy with others.

I usually play what folks want to hear but if I'm getting my audio geek on I play "Keith Don't Go" or anything by Diana Krall ;)...I usally like to impress folks with standard, non-audiophile records including:

<snip>

..."If I Should Lose You" Sphere (Flight Path, Elektra, 1983) -- someone I know calls this 'the truth'...but what does he know Dre?

Mark, I must have rifled through your list because I'm just now seeing your concatenated comments! I'f you ask me, that Dre guy calling this track on this LP 'the truth' is a reflection of the entire local audio groups feeling, and comment, about this track on this LP...

...it really is The Truth! :)

Dre

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Does anyone bring different records to audition a system as compared to showing off their system?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Does anyone bring different records to audition a system as compared to showing off their system?

You lost me here? Can you rephrase.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Here are a couple

Concierto - Jim Hall SACD

Rossini Sonate per Archi Erxleben NBK

Paganini for two - Shaham/Sollscher

Way out west/Saxophone Colossus 192/24 2ch dvda's

Harry Belafonte @ Carnegie Hall K2HD

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

You lost me here? Can you rephrase.

I believe Myles is asking if people use different albums for auditioning other systems than for "showing off" their home system to friends.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I believe Myles is asking if people use different albums for auditioning other systems than for "showing off" their home system to friends.

IOW...use different albums when auditioning or visiting a friend's system as opposed to what we would play at home? In my case, no.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Mark, I must have rifled through your list because I'm just now seeing your concatenated comments! I'f you ask me, that Dre guy calling this track on this LP 'the truth' is a reflection of the entire local audio groups feeling, and comment, about this track on this LP...

...it really is The Truth! :)

Dre

Took you a while to find that! :cool:

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012

Yes, I do Myles.

It really depends on who I'm visiting, what music they like and if I'm in full evaluation mode of something less.

FWIW, I never really go into a full eval mode when visiting friends or attending audio shows. I will bring some music that is very good and should play well on the system. I sometimes play a couple tracks to judge which direction to go that is complimentary to the system I'm listening to. There does tend to be subtle things that I listen for even within music that plays well on a particular system. If this happens, It's mostly for mental notes rather than trying to find faults.

Now if I'm looking to purchase something and I'm in the right environment, I will push it enough to get an idea if I want to go forward.

I can't name anything (music-wise) specific because it really depends on the equipment, environment, and situation.

Does this help?

Dre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing