How big is your room? W' x L' x H'

bfalls

Mar 6, 2014
Orange County, CA
Hello - I have visited this site for a while and have enjoyed the information that is exchanged, but I never joined to post until now. This is an interesting thread and I have discussed the room/system interaction to great length in the last several years with a couple of close friends - we have done several complete transformations in the exploration processs.

The first image shows my overall listening environment from about the listening position (there is another 10' behind the listening chair to an exterior wall). The dimensions are slightly distored due to a wide angle lens but the actual dimensions are the following: length 40', width 19' (at speaker placement), high cathedral ceiling where speakers are located.

The second image shows the rear of the room where the equipment is located which has a standard 9' ceiling.

The last shot is just a close up of the turntable in case someone was interested in what the heck it was...

Thanks for hosting a great site.

Bruce View attachment 14343 View attachment 14344 View attachment 14345

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
12' x 18' with a vaulted ceiling thats 8' high on the short wall that ascends to 12' over my listening position. the total space is actually larger because the left side opens to a hallway and theres a split level dining room directly behind me.

Purogave,
I m building a 17.75 x28 ft with vaulted ceiling , sidewall 7' 10" & peaking at 12.5 ft along the middle of the room. Am concern with the focussing effect of the slanting ceiling. So am wondering how you treat your vaulted ceiling

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
12' x 18' with a vaulted ceiling thats 8' high on the short wall that ascends to 12' over my listening position. the total space is actually larger because the left side opens to a hallway and theres a split level dining room directly behind me.

Purogave,
I m building a 17.75 x28 ft with vaulted ceiling , sidewall 7' 10" & peaking at 12.5 ft along the middle of the room. Am concern with the focussing effect of the slanting ceiling. So am wondering how you treat your vaulted ceiling

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hello - I have visited this site for a while and have enjoyed the information that is exchanged, but I never joined to post until now. This is an interesting thread and I have discussed the room/system interaction to great length in the last several years with a couple of close friends - we have done several complete transformations in the exploration processs.

The first image shows my overall listening environment from about the listening position (there is another 10' behind the listening chair to an exterior wall). The dimensions are slightly distored due to a wide angle lens but the actual dimensions are the following: length 40', width 19' (at speaker placement), high cathedral ceiling where speakers are located.

The second image shows the rear of the room where the equipment is located which has a standard 9' ceiling.

The last shot is just a close up of the turntable in case someone was interested in what the heck it was...

Thanks for hosting a great site.

Bruce View attachment 14343 View attachment 14344 View attachment 14345

Bruce, welcome.
Very nice looking and I'm sure sounding room. Reminds me of a fellow a'phile friend who had a very similar room layout. The room was excellent sounding and I always enjoyed visiting. BTW, what is that TT, looks very nice.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Bruce -

Great first post! Absolutely beautiful room. Have to ask: where did you get the shelving system that holds the turntable...it's drop dead gorgeous!

bfalls

Mar 6, 2014
Orange County, CA
Thanks for the welcome. The turntable is a Technics Mk3 motor/platter/controller and I designed and machined the plinth (knowing I would use a Clearaudio arm/cartridge).

bfalls

Mar 6, 2014
Orange County, CA
Thanks for the compliment - I designed and built the stand to accomodate the equipment and power supplies while keeping my wife happy. This combination of rooms is my foyer, living room, dining room and so it is front and center in our house.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
This combination of rooms is my foyer, living room, dining room and so it is front and center in our house.

That is exactly what my friend's combination was as well. He actually placed the speakers into the the dining area and the TT along the long wall in the LR. Worked well.

bfalls

Mar 6, 2014
Orange County, CA
Thanks David - the plinth is a four piece design based on 6061 aluminum and brass (brass is the middle inset piece). The "panels" are actually drawers and they house the modified components and associated large format (automotive) Li-ion battery power supplies. Every component has been modified to be battery powered so the rack is not tethered to the wall except for a power supply used to charge the batteries. The components that are used are the Technics Mk3 power supply, a Mac Mini, a DAC/Pre combo unit, and modified class A monoblocks that are configured for complete balanced operation from cartridege to speaker.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks David - the plinth is a four piece design based on 6061 aluminum and brass (brass is the middle inset piece). The "panels" are actually drawers and they house the modified components and associated large format (automotive) Li-ion battery power supplies. Every component has been modified to be battery powered so the rack is not tethered to the wall except for a power supply used to charge the batteries. The components that are used are the Technics Mk3 power supply, a Mac Mini, a DAC/Pre combo unit, and modified class A monoblocks that are configured for complete balanced operation from cartridege to speaker.

well done. That plinth is exceptional amongst your other hidden details.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

The plinth is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. Did you modify your equipment to DC or are you using a DC/AC inverter? How many amp hours and how long before you have to charge the batteries? Reason I ask is that I'm looking at taking the system off the grid but I need a minimum of 76000wH which is a large bank of batteries and the wet ones need maintenance and dedicated housing. I can deal with that by my main problem is not knowing the qualities of different inverters as they effect the sound as much as dirty or clean AC.

david

bfalls

Mar 6, 2014
Orange County, CA
Thanks David, All of the equipment has been converted to run on DC and the DC feeds are for the most part at the appropriate voltage for the circuits inside the components. In other words, there is no further regulation necessary (the Mac Mini still has internal regulation but that is the only piece).This is made possible by using a chemistry that has a flat discharge curve and using circuit voltages that are multiples of the individual cell voltages. The balancing of the cells becomes the issue - but this happens to be the business that I'm in so this is just a side project of sorts. Using an inverter is going to be a mixed bag as you have already discovered - most are not made for low noise as they are switching devices by nature. I would not have gone down this path with that mechanization. Because each component is configured for the voltage/capacity required there is not one number for how long I can operate without charging. The way I have it currently configured the class A amps will run about 7 hrs and the DAC/Pre and Mac Mini are not far behind. This is not a practical limitation for me as I don't have all day long listening sessions. I am using 3 x 14ah prismatic cells in parallel for the amps for example. Less for the other components. Are you sure you dont have an extra zero in your calculation? 76000wh is a about what a Tesla Model S has for capacity...

Bruce

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thanks David, All of the equipment has been converted to run on DC and the DC feeds are for the most part at the appropriate voltage for the circuits inside the components. In other words, there is no further regulation necessary (the Mac Mini still has internal regulation but that is the only piece).This is made possible by using a chemistry that has a flat discharge curve and using circuit voltages that are multiples of the individual cell voltages. The balancing of the cells becomes the issue - but this happens to be the business that I'm in so this is just a side project of sorts. Using an inverter is going to be a mixed bag as you have already discovered - most are not made for low noise as they are switching devices by nature. I would not have gone down this path with that mechanization. Because each component is configured for the voltage/capacity required there is not one number for how long I can operate without charging. The way I have it currently configured the class A amps will run about 7 hrs and the DAC/Pre and Mac Mini are not far behind. This is not a practical limitation for me as I don't have all day long listening sessions. I am using 3 x 14ah prismatic cells in parallel for the amps for example. Less for the other components. Are you sure you dont have an extra zero in your calculation? 76000wh is a about what a Tesla Model S has for capacity...

Bruce

Yes, the inverters I heard one was nastier than the next, but I've seen similar installations in Japan without the noise of the inverter and glorious sound. I had the vendor do the calculations, I can't tell you if its wrong or not.

"1,600 ah battery bank for around 11 hours of usage at 2,800 watts per hour. After around 11 hours or 30kW, need to use generator power for recharging."

WSS Battery Bank Rolls Surrette 1600aH 48VDC 76800wH (32)

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Purogave,

my primary speakers now are dipoles and I use no treatments. the dispersion in the vertical plane is minimal and the back wave cancels anything the wraps around the speaker. I experience much more direct sound than reflected as the ML's beam within a very narrow listening window. the patented "curvilinear" diaphragm imo, does little to negate this which is fine by me as I listen solo.

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
Hi Bruce (Bfalls) ..... Very nice setup and a great use of available space! I'm in So Cal and would love to have a listen if that might be possible? Excellent job!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I'm going to try to post some new pictures. For some reason my photographic efforts are almost always sub-par...

Interestingly, one might think the front wall (with large window, equipment and CD racks) could use some other acoustic treatment (there are several TubeTraps and some decorative pillows, and some kind of "dots" on the window) but adding anything else or changing things has consistently degraded the sound.

DSCN0368.jpg DSCN0377.jpg DSCN0380.jpg

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm going to try to post some new pictures. For some reason my photographic efforts are almost always sub-par...

Interestingly, one might think the front wall (with large window, equipment and CD racks) could use some other acoustic treatment (there are several TubeTraps and some decorative pillows, and some kind of "dots" on the window) but adding anything else or changing things has consistently degraded the sound.

View attachment 14382 View attachment 14383 View attachment 14384

Awesome rbbert ! Have you thought about starting a CD retail outlet at all? Wow!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing