How big is your room? W' x L' x H'

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Mine's 11Wx18Lx8H with a small alcove to the left of the speaker. I need to update the picture as I now have acoustic treatments behind each speaker and at the side reflection points.

IMG_0134.JPG

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Some recent posts have lead me to a curiosity of the size of some of the rooms used by our members.

With that said, How about letting us know the general size of your room and any additional information you would like to add.

I'll start things off with my room:

Approximate size in feet: 18' W x 43' L x 8' H around 5900-6192 cubic ft

Additional info: Multipurpose rooms with priority towards 2-channel listening. Speakers setup along 18' wall. It also has many open spaces to much larger areas of my home outside of this space.

So how about you?

How would you characterize your room size? small, medium, large?
Approximate size in feet:
Additional info:

Dre

It looks like we are off to a good start. However, If we can get more participation our WBF member sample size will be larger.

I shouldn't have to start naming names to get participation in this thread, should I? Peter, Peter, Mad, Myles, Jaz, Mike, Joe, Peter, Paul, and Mary?

Dre

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I have a small room ~13' W x 17' L x 7.5' H. The back wall is convex and treated.

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
DSC00467.JPG

My listening room is quite irregular shaped, but overall it's still an L-shape room. Overall length of the room is 36 ft, and the width ranges from 24.5 ft to 33 ft. Height is mostly 8.3 ft but some area go up to 8.9 ft. Personally I think it's too large even for my Wilson Alexandria 2s.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Musical Interests:
Chamber, symphonic, opera and early music. Areas of focus include 20th century and the avant garde for its complexity and exploration of expression. I’m drawn to dark eclectics such as Arvo Part and Jocelyn Pook. Equaling my classical interest is 50s/60s jazz and swing. I’ll chose Artie Shaw over Benny Goodman and Shirley Horn over Ella Fitzgerald. Artists such as Eric Dolphy and Ornette Coleman echo my love of anything “out there”. This leads to my love of electronica. Composers such as Jorge Reyes, Klaus Shultze and the late Bryn Jones of the Muslimguaze project fascinate me. My popular music tastes include; classic rock to NIN, singer songwriters, and stalwarts such as Frank Sinatra and Mel Torme. I tread gingerly into the country with Cash, Jennings and Nelson. I love bluegrass and finger picking music (exposed early due to the first Philadelphia Folk festivals staged a mile from my house).

Favorite artists/composers:
Classical: Puccini, Wagner, Verdi, Berlioz, Bach, Mahler, Honegger, Stravinsky, Saint-Saens. Jazz: Davis, Dolphy, Coleman, Corea, Jarrett, Rollins, Sun Ra, Evens, Horn, O’Day, Wilson. Rock/pop/other: Airplane/Starship, Zappa, Fleetwood Mac, NIN, Gabriel, PJ Harvey, RL Jones, Young, Joni, Sinatra, Torme, Scruggs, and Doc Watson.

Listening concerns:
1. Realism triggers: space/air, phase coherence for image placement and loudness/dynamics. The more a system or recording reproduces or captures the air of an event and the space within and around the instrument(s), the better. The more a system or recording places such instruments or images in a realistic field, the better. The more a system or recording can reproduce the loudness and air volume movement of being at a live event, the better.

I find I’m drawn into the illusion if the system has wide dynamic capabilities plus has the ability to play soft and loud. Like real life.

2. Realism inhibitors: excessive compression within a recording followed by system mid bass humps. Most every new recording or re-release has compression levels set to maximum. Often, the subtleties of a ppp become ffff. Even Harmonia Mundi is guilty. The 50 CD dhm 1958-2008 box set is, at times, sadly compressed. I’m OK with brightness. I don’t run the other way when a system is revealing on top- only when it’s coarse, if that makes sense.

Music background:
Longtime concert, theatergoer and subscriber; Philadelphia Orchestra, Opera Company of Philadelphia, Lansdowne Symphony, the Wilma, the Philadelphia Folk Festival. I’ve attended numerous Spectrum and Wachovia Center rock concerts. Past board member: Berman-Nelly School of Music. Founder: the Philadelphia Audio Society. I am an Episcopal Minister’s son, sang in the children’s choir, decades of choir and organ listening. I play the electric guitar. I limit my vinyl addiction to 10,000 each.

Rooms:
Number 1: 14x24x8, plaster walls, wall-to-wall carpet over hardwood floor with a wool oriental on top. Bay window overlooking a lighted garden. Three dedicated 20amp lines.

Number 2: 12x20x8, pinewood walls, wall-to-wall carpet over poured concrete floor.

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
My room is dedicated 2 channel, 16.5W x 23L x 10 tapering to 8H

Loudspeakers and amps centered on 23 ft wall at 10 ft ceiling height, listening position at 8 ft ceiling height. RPG Variscreens in rear corners, Quest AI ceiling clouds and wall panels. Mioculture Acoustic Weave diffusor (5ft x 4ft) behind loudspeakers. Wall is at 10ft height covered in uneven surface brick.

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
I have one side wall that is 22'1.5" and one side wall that is 18'9.5". The front wall is 16'10.75" and the back wall is 13'17.5". The difference between the walls are because I have a door that is catty cornered in the back of the room. My ceiling is 9'. I would consider my room a large medium room :D

Last edited:

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
image.jpg

Dedicated room 14.5 x 24.75 x 10.5 ft

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
image.jpg

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
image.jpg

image.jpg

Tried for umpteen times & somehow images orientation is upside unlike the images in my iPad album.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
500x1000px-LL-4f608f5b_ScreenWall.jpg

Room is 28' by 18' with 10' ceiling. Pics are prior to completing fabric installation.

You can't see the matching center speaker, but you can see the RPG diffusers on the side walls and ceiling, and, the RPG broadband plates in the ceiling. Above and below the screen, mounted horizontally, are massive tube traps for bass control. There are similar floor to ceiling tube traps vertically mounted in one corner.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Wow! There are some amazing rooms on this thread. Thanks for sharing.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
12' x 18' with a vaulted ceiling thats 8' high on the short wall that ascends to 12' over my listening position. the total space is actually larger because the left side opens to a hallway and theres a split level dining room directly behind me.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Mine is L shaped and multi-purpose. 16.5 ft. W x 25 ft L 7.5 ft H with a 8 x 12.5 ft leg in the back. Follow link in my signature for photos. I consider it medium sized for audio use.

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
I've been able to commandeer 1/2 of the finished side of the basement for my dedicated 2 channel system. That equates to a space about 22' x 16' x 7.5' with a wall to the right and an open space of about the same dimensions to the left. I have placed a GIC trap to the left where a wall might have been to simulate that first reflection point for the leftmost speaker. It definitely does help to balance out and center the imaging.

1384017462.jpg

1384017463.jpg

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
View attachment 14327

Room is 28' by 18' with 10' ceiling. Pics are prior to completing fabric installation.

You can't see the matching center speaker, but you can see the RPG diffusers on the side walls and ceiling, and, the RPG broadband plates in the ceiling. Above and below the screen, mounted horizontally, are massive tube traps for bass control. There are similar floor to ceiling tube traps vertically mounted in one corner.

WOW. Bruce, did you buy a new home since I visited or is this another room in the same house. VERY nice!!!

(Chuck Gerlach)

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
WOW. Bruce, did you buy a new home since I visited or is this another room in the same house. VERY nice!!!

New home with new purpose built room in new city with all new equipment. If you find yourself in Houston I'd be happy to demo again.

Last edited:

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Cjfrbw, nope I am from Malaysia. We have an active analogue Fellowship FB in Malaysia .
My name is Song soon onn. Look me up in FB if anybody interested to join & participate in the FB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing