Hot Pressings

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks, Myles and John. Good tip on the UMG B2B pressings.

I'm happy with what the few copies I have of What's Going On.

The Speaker's Corner re-issue of Songs in the Key of Life does look interesting. I just bought a few copies of different pressings from eBay. Will report back.

Yeah the problem is one doesn't know if the LP is digital or analog any more? :( So one has to go with the labels that know for sure like MFSL (though they will release something like Pirates where it was a digital recording mixed down to analog tape; that said, it's scary to think how bad the digital recording really is), Analogue Productions, MMJ, ORG, etc. Problem with Speakers Corner as well as Pure Pleasure is that you don't know who cut the remasters. For instance, the SC could have been done by Kevin Gray or someone not close to his caliber. Or one just doesn't know which tape they used :( Or could find.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Yeah the problem is one doesn't know if the LP is digital or analog any more? :( So one has to go with the labels that know for sure like MFSL (though they will release something like Pirates where it was a digital recording mixed down to analog tape; that said, it's scary to think how bad the digital recording really is), Analogue Productions, MMJ, ORG, etc. Problem with Speakers Corner as well as Pure Pleasure is that you don't know who cut the remasters. For instance, the SC could have been done by Kevin Gray or someone not close to his caliber. Or one just doesn't know which tape they used :( Or could find.

Agreed! However, and I hope you're not suggesting this, is that I shouldn't limit myself to a recording mastered solely by Kevin G, Steve H and George M or pressed at RTI?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Agreed! However, and I hope you're not suggesting this, is that I shouldn't limit myself to a recording mastered solely by Kevin G, Steve H and George M or pressed at RTI?

That's a giant leap of faith if I have ever seen one.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Really? Thanks for letting us know! My original is still in very good condition (yeah, some wear and tear), but nothing that prevents me from playing it.

Yup. $65 I'd love to have back :(

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Well personally I don't want no stinking digital remasters :) I don't trust anyone else unless I definitely know the remaster is from the original analog tapes!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That's a giant leap of faith if I have ever seen one.

Maybe but they have a far better track record than some of these other clowns :(

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Well personally I don't want no stinking digital remasters :) I don't trust anyone else unless I definitely know the remaster is from the original analog tapes!

Which brings up one of my biggest peeves when buying vinyl: Why isn't this information clearly spelled out in the liner notes or on the cover somehow.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Which brings up one of my biggest peeves when buying vinyl: Why isn't this information clearly spelled out in the liner notes or on the cover somehow.

Amen to that John! If it is, sometimes it's ambiguous, like "newly remastered". Yeah, but digitally, or analogue? (Band on the Run and one of the Tubular Bells remasters comes to mind...)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Amen to that John! If it is, sometimes it's ambiguous, like "newly remastered". Yeah, but digitally, or analogue? (Band on the Run and one of the Tubular Bells remasters comes to mind...)

Yeah, and writing to HEAR music (Starbucks) to get an answer on the Macca releases resulted in no response either. Perhaps their non-response is confirmation of them being "digitally" remastered. WINK

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Maybe but they have a far better track record than some of these other clowns :(

I was referring to John asking if you were telling him he should confine his LP purchases to the list you provided.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Just listened to the Classic Records reissue of LSC2313. The original RCA Shaded Dog in NM would sell for at least $300. This reissue is also worth searching out for - even if you have the SD. It's a little bit more forward, but the music is exhilarating and the reissue is masterfully done. Produced by Michael Hobson and Ying Tan, lacquer mastering by Bernie Grundman. Pressed on HQ180.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
What is LSC2313 Gary?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Oops, sorry. LSC2313 is the RCA Living Stereo "Venice" - Solti conducting the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden. It's legendary among Asian record collectors.

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=venice+solti&x=0&y=0

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Was in a weird mood last night and spun a little electronica. These are all well recorded:

Air "10000Hz Legend"

Trentmoller "Into The Great Wide Yonder"

Caribou "Swim"

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Listened to this one today "The Great Jazz Trio Hank Jones Last Recording" :

http://www.eastwindimport.com/product-info.asp?CategoryName=Eighty-Eight's+(v)&ProductID=1449

Unfortunately, it just went out of print but the SACD is still available. Extremely well recorded, especially the percussion. More importantly, the performance is top notch. Nice to hear Hank Jones go out in top form. "Cantaloupe Island" is a highlight.

Hank Jones is great! Just picked up a 15 ips tape of him on Black and Blue label :) Astounding sound.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Anybody seen this one?
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/77929?store=acousticsounds&keywords=NL112111

"The Decca Sound is an extremely limited edition six-LP vinyl box set of legendary recordings celebrating the world-renowned Decca Sound. The set features classic-status pioneering stereo recordings from the past 55 years starring a galaxy of internationally acclaimed artistic talent. Each LP is presented in a sleeve with the original cover art."

It includes free digital download of all 6 albums - but I wonder if it's mp3 or higher resolution......

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Hank Jones is great! Just picked up a 15 ips tape of him on Black and Blue label Astounding sound.

Myles; is this a commercially available LP??

If you like Hank Jones, it's worth seeking out his recordings with the Great Jazz Trio on East Wind records. My favorite is "Direct From LA"

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Anybody seen this one?
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/77929?store=acousticsounds&keywords=NL112111

"The Decca Sound is an extremely limited edition six-LP vinyl box set of legendary recordings celebrating the world-renowned Decca Sound. The set features classic-status pioneering stereo recordings from the past 55 years starring a galaxy of internationally acclaimed artistic talent. Each LP is presented in a sleeve with the original cover art."

It includes free digital download of all 6 albums - but I wonder if it's mp3 or higher resolution......

My first reaction was whether this a digital remastering!

Wanting to order that new Taj Mahal on ORG.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/78731/Taj_Mahal-Recycling_The_Blues__Other_Related_Stuff-45_RPM_Vinyl_Record

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing