Hong Kong Genesis Dragon Launch

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Beautiful stufff Gary ,

Unfortunately not just the economy Gary, but decades of bad dealers have killed the sales on big ticket items. i dont even go into stereo stores anymore , i buy online , if i dont like , then i sell and move on . So buying a big ticket item like yours is very difficult for most, ( cash aside :)) when you cant mosey on down and see it , listen and or touch. Decades gone , i could walk in look around listen , rinse , repeat , then come back and purchase.

My last time was with a friend who asked me to come and listen to the new 3.6 Maggies, he had an "appointment " and wanted me to hear before picking up the speaker. Well the setup was horrible, really bad and i guess this dealer had no clue, We were not impressed and asked if we could hear the 20.1 in the main room . Not possible, we did not have an appointment to hear it , it would take them an Hr to set it up ( it was already playing in the back ground) blah, blah, blah . To make an already long story short ..

I told him the 3.6 setup was bad and if could not hear the 20.1 to see if he liked it , then we would not purchase. We left, he purchased used from a local audiophile, who had them well setup . So far , most audiophiles i know of , purchase off the internet ( amps etc.) instead of the pain and agony of dealing with these goons ..

My XA30.5 was purchased online without hearing it ......

That is the saddest thing isn't it? Decades of bad dealers. I've had dealers tell me that there is nothing I can teach them about how to set up speakers that *I* designed. I know that the "By Appointment" thing is really bad for good customer service. Why should the one spending the money be the one making an appointment at the convenience of the dealer? I can understand it if the reason for making appointments is to ensure that the dealer has the dedicated time to spend with you and/or to set up exactly the system you want to listen to, but your example of not being allowed to hear the system in the main room is the worst.

Nevertheless, from talking to dealers, I also understand that there are two sides to the coin. They have numerous examples of audiophiles who take up their time and expertise, and then when they finally pick the gear they want - turn to the Internet to buy them cheaper. What is worse is then they expect the dealer they just screwed to support them when they have a problem with the gear because the dealer is the only local source of support. I don't think that the blame lies entirely at the feet of the dealers. I've even heard of manufacturers selling directly to customers after the dealer has done the demo.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
That is the saddest thing isn't it? Decades of bad dealers. I've had dealers tell me that there is nothing I can teach them about how to set up speakers that *I* designed. I know that the "By Appointment" thing is really bad for good customer service. Why should the one spending the money be the one making an appointment at the convenience of the dealer? I can understand it if the reason for making appointments is to ensure that the dealer has the dedicated time to spend with you and/or to set up exactly the system you want to listen to, but your example of not being allowed to hear the system in the main room is the worst.

Nevertheless, from talking to dealers, I also understand that there are two sides to the coin. They have numerous examples of audiophiles who take up their time and expertise, and then when they finally pick the gear they want - turn to the Internet to buy them cheaper. What is worse is then they expect the dealer they just screwed to support them when they have a problem with the gear because the dealer is the only local source of support. I don't think that the blame lies entirely at the feet of the dealers. I've even heard of manufacturers selling directly to customers after the dealer has done the demo.

I believe that to be true too, but it's the dealer that creates the environment for such activity. There is no support from the bad dealers, none, i have experienced this, it is not coincidence burn in time takes you past 90 days , its when most CC transactions expire . Tell them you're not happy and power cords, speaker cables and burn in time kicks in, 6 months later you're still sad and annoyed ..

I do agree some "bad" customers burn dealers, i very rarely see it , with dealers that "support" customers, It's a small community, word travels fast ...

Tough game ....

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
It is the ultimate - I did try to think of everything. During the launch in Hong Kong, three groups of visitors independently said that they were the "destination" speakers because there was nothing more that they could ask for. The biggest surprise to everyone was how something that large and massive could play something small and delicate with such finesse.

That's true from my limited experience as well. The G1.1s (not to mention the latest 1.2s) impressed me so much that if I have the means and the room size, I will go straight for them. The best thing is that they sound so glorious with even modest front ends.

trponhunter

Apr 30, 2012
Are there dealers for these, or are they only sold direct? Also, what is the retail on a regular pair of the big speakers?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary

He passed away recently

May he rest in peace - Mike Kay was a wonderful gentleman, and his influence on the high end far, far exceeds anybody's greatest imagination. Lyric was often the first/only hifi store visited in the US by any overseas visitor. It was the Mecca for audiophiles.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Are there dealers for these, or are they only sold direct? Also, what is the retail on a regular pair of the big speakers?

They are not sold direct. In the US, the only dealer with a pair on demo is Award Audio in Michigan. This pair is over 10 years old, and upgraded from G1 to G1.1, but the last time I heard them, they still sounded wonderful. Audio Ark in Canada has a pair of G1.1's but they are not at the store - demo is by appointment only. Music by Design in Indonesia has a pair in Surabaya. Now, Forthwise in Hong Kong has the only G1 Dragon on demo.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's true from my limited experience as well. The G1.1s (not to mention the latest 1.2s) impressed me so much that if I have the means and the room size, I will go straight for them. The best thing is that they sound so glorious with even modest front ends.

They don't need much power. I've driven a pair with my I60 integrated tube amp, and they sounded glorious with that too. Line sources have a natural advantage, and ribbons have a natural advantage. Then, with the G1.2's add 12,000W bass amplification, and you could conceivably drive them with a very good 5 watts :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
They don't need much power. I've driven a pair with my I60 integrated tube amp, and they sounded glorious with that too. Line sources have a natural advantage, and ribbons have a natural advantage. Then, with the G1.2's add 12,000W bass amplification, and you could conceivably drive them with a very good 5 watts :)

;) but i would have though to take advantage of what they are capable of really doing...and 12,000 watts for subs...one would want a fair amount of power to be able to fill the [requisite] large room these will be placed in. I would have thought high quality 100 watts should be capable of allowing the speakers to breathe at full orchestral scale in a 25' x 35' room or larger?

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012

I do agree with Lloyd. Even though you may be able to drive them with a very good 5-watter, you would certainly want to give them much more than that. One of the main advantages of these magnificent ones is that one need not spend big bucks on the front end.

trponhunter

Apr 30, 2012
Gary - what is the retail price on the speakers? I asked in my prevoius post and you answered everything except the price.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Gary - what is the retail price on the speakers? I asked in my prevoius post and you answered everything except the price.

Hi Trponhunter,

I thought the 1.2s run somewhere over USD$200K. Perhaps the Dragons are another level up? See below.

...I don't "dumb down" the Genesis designs when they go down in price. The crossover components are the same, as far as possible, the drivers are the same, and I spent more time on the G7-series designs than I spent on the G1.2. It is harder to get the same quality from one tweeter and one mid/woofer than it is with 20 tweeters, separate ribbon midrange and 12 woofers.

I don't use a cheaper capacitor just because you are paying $3,500 for a pair of bookshelf monitors (which admittedly makes the G7 petite more expensive than I would like) and the well-heeled in Monaco are paying $320,000 for a pair of G1 Dragons.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

Sorry, trponhunter. The G1.2 is $270k in the US (that means quoted without sales tax) and the Dragon is $320k. In Europe, because of VAT, SRP is up to $25% more.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I do agree with Lloyd. Even though you may be able to drive them with a very good 5-watter, you would certainly want to give them much more than that. One of the main advantages of these magnificent ones is that one need not spend big bucks on the front end.

Yes - you would want to have more than 5 watts. My point was that you don't need massive power with the line source because the response falls only 3dB with doubling of distance.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
No, I mean the gold looking, possible logo or design on the inner wings that looks to be a little less than two feet above the floor. NOT the surface texture of the carbon fiber.

The carbon fiber design/texture looks great!

It's a 24k gold yin-yang Dragon logo.

Logo.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Stunning.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Thank you, Gary. The Dragon Logo is exquisite.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing