Hint of new Magico products

I would like to add that I have not given up on Magico to offer upgrades to the Q7 since I have found out that they have in fact offered upgrades to products. That is in relation to the Magico M6 where there were several upgrades done through a number of years and the Magico Ultimate which is now in its third iteration.

I think what I have suggested in this thread actually might be a great suggestion to Magico for more business to be generated. There really doesn't have to be either only rapid product new product releases based on deep rooted research into bleeding edge new technology or only upgrades of existing product line to improve their performance. It would generate a lot of more business for Magico if they were in fact able to do both. This should be considered as a creative and positive suggestion to Magico and not as critisism. I am trying to be positive and contribute in a positive way in order to solve the dilemma I think the current situation is bringing customers like me into.

let me make a dramatic first post as a previous v3 and m5 owner. it has been suggested earlier in the thread that -which btw also appears to be the general understanding in many magazines & forums- whatever series magico came up with last was better than the series they replaced. i.e q5 better than m5, s5 better than v3, q1 better than the mini.

so we should all be excited about the latest & greatest achievement from this iconic speaker maker. right? not only in terms of whether we can afford it or not but also out of pure intellectual curiosity. or if we are a magico owner we should be scared of being pushed into irrelevance with a significant loss in our investment

in my experience, all these new series introductions showed one thing. how the magico house sound changes from one series to the other. my personal favorite have been the wooden enclosures - v & m series. (q7 is so out of my league i only heard it briefly at shows so i am not qualified to compare it with previous or future models)

let me be frank and state that m5 was a better speaker then the q5 in almost all areas that mattered to me. you closed your eyes and swore that you were listening to a 2-way monitor. you then opened your eyes and met with a beast in all its elegance and heft and strange beauty. all that coherence etc. i did not even dream of owning the q5 one day. i parted ways with m5 only because i was not convinced i was driving them properly. esp the bass.

s5? i could never understand all that love&affection it received as a successor to v2 or v3. i will not let them within 10 km of my house. it is just a modern speaker that sounds too hi-fi to be loved

i am too very much excited about the m project and i wish i was among the 50 or 100 lucky people to have pre-ordered it. but current magico owners should not be threatened by its arrival because experience tells us it will be just a different speaker and will not necessarily better our current speakers in all the areas that we value them for.

let me make a dramatic first post as a previous v3 and m5 owner. it has been suggested earlier in the thread that -which btw also appears to be the general understanding in many magazines & forums- whatever series magico came up with last was better than the series they replaced. i.e q5 better than m5, s5 better than v3, q1 better than the mini.

so we should all be excited about the latest & greatest achievement from this iconic speaker maker. right? not only in terms of whether we can afford it or not but also out of pure intellectual curiosity. or if we are a magico owner we should be scared of being pushed into irrelevance with a significant loss in our investment

in my experience, all these new series introductions showed one thing. how the magico house sound changes from one series to the other. my personal favorite have been the wooden enclosures - v & m series. (q7 is so out of my league i only heard it briefly at shows so i am not qualified to compare it with previous or future models)

let me be frank and state that m5 was a better speaker then the q5 in almost all areas that mattered to me. you closed your eyes and swore that you were listening to a 2-way monitor. you then opened your eyes and met with a beast in all its elegance and heft and strange beauty. all that coherence etc. i did not even dream of owning the q5 one day. i parted ways with m5 only because i was not convinced i was driving them properly. esp the bass.

s5? i could never understand all that love&affection it received as a successor to v2 or v3. i will not let them within 10 km of my house. it is just a modern speaker that sounds too hi-fi to be loved

i am too very much excited about the m project and i wish i was among the 50 or 100 lucky people to have pre-ordered it. but current magico owners should not be threatened by its arrival because experience tells us it will be just a different speaker and will not necessarily better our current speakers in all the areas that we value them for.

Nice first post and welcome to the forum. I love my Mini II and prefer the aesthetics to the Q1. I also think the M5 was and still is an incredible speaker. So I'm with you about some of the wooden Magico speakers. But I also think that the Q3 is simply fantastic for a mid sized speaker, and I would love to own one someday. What I really like about the M Project is the form factor - the curved baffle and the curved side walls, plus presumable the very neutral performance of the Q series plus full range performance. I sure hope this hints at the direction of future Magico speakers.

let me make a dramatic first post as a previous v3 and m5 owner. ...in my experience, all these new series introductions showed one thing. how the magico house sound changes from one series to the other. my personal favorite have been the wooden enclosures - v & m series. (q7 is so out of my league i only heard it briefly at shows so i am not qualified to compare it with previous or future models)

let me be frank and state that m5 was a better speaker then the q5 in almost all areas that mattered to me. you closed your eyes and swore that you were listening to a 2-way monitor. you then opened your eyes and met with a beast in all its elegance and heft and strange beauty. all that coherence etc. i did not even dream of owning the q5 one day. i parted ways with m5 only because i was not convinced i was driving them properly. esp the bass...

I know at least one guy whose ears I respect who owned/loved the M5 and did not go forward with the newer Magico speakers. I think the M5 is his favourite Magico speaker. He has gone across to Rockport, which I also really like.

I would like to add that I have not given up on Magico to offer upgrades to the Q7 since I have found out that they have in fact offered upgrades to products. That is in relation to the Magico M6 where there were several upgrades done through a number of years and the Magico Ultimate which is now in its third iteration.

I think what I have suggested in this thread actually might be a great suggestion to Magico for more business to be generated. There really doesn't have to be either only rapid product new product releases based on deep rooted research into bleeding edge new technology or only upgrades of existing product line to improve their performance. It would generate a lot of more business for Magico if they were in fact able to do both. This should be considered as a creative and positive suggestion to Magico and not as critisism. I am trying to be positive and contribute in a positive way in order to solve the dilemma I think the current situation is bringing customers like me into.

+1, I concur..
Have been a keen adopter/follower since early stages who ultimately couldn't afford to keep up with Alon's development pace.
Good or bad - highly dependent on which side of fence you are sited. Somewhere along the way, I chose to step-off, while some buddies fearlessly cruised on.
Perhaps later when Magico had stabilized further and found their truer form/shape and direction, i.e.we buying into flagship speakers with reassuring feel that it will possibly stay that way for at least 6-8yrs - through retrofittable parts (drivers, x-over etc.) as suggested above being one option, then probably would reconsider embracing the brand over again.
Great brand, but 3-5yrs lifespan buying into flagship speakers is way too rich for my blood - considering its residual. :eek:

Some nice pics I still keep of Magico's early development period..

image022.jpg
image010.jpg
image017.jpg
image011.jpg
image004.jpg

With such talent/creativity, hard to guess where he'll be heading next! :confused: :p

I also see a calculated attack on Magico, for the most absurd reason too. Unfortunately WBF is becoming too Wilson-centric, and intolerance keeps coming back up...

Also, don't you think the limited edition speaker should have features that are unique to it?

alexandre

Yes, for this site to have a dedicated owner's sub-forum to cheerlead each other is fairly absurd. Its really quite blatant marketing, but I own neither brand...

Yes, Dynaudio has released special editions for 20 years with different voicing, limited features, and different approaches to their main speakers. For instance, some think the Sapphire doesn't sound anything like a Dyn :)

+1, I concur..
Have been a keen adopter/follower since early stages who ultimately couldn't afford to keep up with Alon's development pace.
Good or bad - highly dependent on which side of fence you are sited. Somewhere along the way, I chose to step-off, while some buddies fearlessly cruised on.
Perhaps later when Magico had stabilized further and found their truer form/shape and direction, i.e.we buying into flagship speakers with reassuring feel that it will possibly stay that way for at least 6-8yrs - through retrofittable parts (drivers, x-over etc.) as suggested above being one option, then probably would reconsider embracing the brand over again.
Great brand, but 3-5yrs lifespan buying into flagship speakers is way too rich for my blood - considering its residual. :eek:

[

But it is Tempest In A Teapot. I see very few (well only one, actually), Magico owners who are complaining. I am a Magico owner, and I am thrill with what Magico is doing. I have recently heard the V3 and thought they were fantastic. Other than sounding a bit more colored (warmer) and less extended, they share many of the virtue of my S5. Sorry, but I can’t see how you would love one and hate the other. I don’t feel that I need to have the latest and greatest to enjoy listening to music (it will be nice BUT, there is a budget…:(). We all seem to forget what this is all about. I clearly see progression in Magico development, and I don’t hear changes in the “house sound” from model to model ( I even think that the Ultimate sounds like a really good huge S5). You just get more of it as you go up in price or as the models are improving.

Last edited:
But it is Tempest In A Teapot. I see very few (well only one, actually), Magico owners who are complaining. I am a Magico owner, and I am thrill with what Magico is doing. I have recently heard the V3 and thought they were fantastic. Other than sounding a bit more colored (warmer) and less extended, they share many of the virtue of my S5. Sorry, but I can’t see how you would love one and hate the other. I don’t feel that I need to have the latest and greatest to enjoy listening to music (it will be nice BUT, there is a budget…:(). We all seem to forget what this is all about. I clearly see progression in Magico development, and I don’t hear changes in the “house sound” from model to model ( I even think that the Ultimate sounds like a really good huge S5). You just seems to get more of it as you go up in price or as the models are improving.

I'm talking of 'flagship' line-ups here where potential loss realized could be quite substantial (as had one of my buddy) trading in his M6 for M5 then on to Q7 had costed him $100k+, that within span of 6-7yrs. It helps that he gave the Q5 a missed, or otherwise - more. He took quite a hit, but for him the amount maybe chump change and that he is happy able to be playing around with new toys.. But not for me, I'd be more wary with my money/purchase decisions.

Last edited:
I'm not being petty, just honest. Every title in that sub-forum is how they've been an owner for 20 years and Wilson audio is the best. That's basically marketing in my view and its somewhat guided by a manufacturer representative. I'd be curious others' thoughts on this.

Keith,

Since you asked, I disagree with you. That sub-forum is filled with very interesting information coming from Wilson owners, specially because the owners are enthusiasts and have great systems. It would be great for WBF if we had similar sub-forums for other brands. BTW, I also find that having a manufacturer representative in the sub-forum is great.

Nice first post and welcome to the forum. I love my Mini II and prefer the aesthetics to the Q1. I also think the M5 was and still is an incredible speaker. So I'm with you about some of the wooden Magico speakers. But I also think that the Q3 is simply fantastic for a mid sized speaker, and I would love to own one someday. What I really like about the M Project is the form factor - the curved baffle and the curved side walls, plus presumable the very neutral performance of the Q series plus full range performance. I sure hope this hints at the direction of future Magico speakers.

the q series were already introduced then so i acquired a brand new pair of m5 at less than 1/2 of the price. they replaced yg anat I's. as great as the q3 or q5 was, i would not have sold the anats for them

the q series were already introduced then so i acquired a brand new pair of m5 at less than 1/2 of the price. they replaced yg anat I's. as great as the q3 or q5 was, i would not have sold the anats for them

I also always like the M5 better than the Q5, which needs an nuke plant to drive them. M5 is one of their all time great speakers.

I also always like the M5 better than the Q5, which needs an nuke plant to drive them. M5 is one of their all time great speakers.

+1

Damn, you're all making me curious to listen to the M5 :)

alexandre

You got me all confused now. For pages and pages people were complaining about Magico rate of a advancement, and how cheaper products are better than older more expensive one, but now you are saying that is not the case :confused::confused::confused::rolleyes:

You got me all confused now. For pages and pages people were complaining about Magico rate of a advancement, and how cheaper products are better than older more expensive one, but now you are saying that is not the case :confused::confused::confused::rolleyes:

I presume personal preferences may matter in some cases to decide. I had several chances to listen to M5 with various music as well as Q5 with similar setups. While I admit M5 is almost an excellent speaker, my preference would be Q5. Not because Q5 was newer but it was simply more distortion free, neutral and had better resolution over M5. I would also say tonal balance of M5 seemed to me slightly sweeter compared to more neutral Q5. Should I pay 65k for a brand new Q5 vs 30k M5 at the market? I would prefer M5 in this case :)
Some as mcduman may prefer the wooden enclosure which to me adds some personality to the speakers overall sound. There is nothing wrong with that.

I'm talking of 'flagship' line-ups here where potential loss realized could be quite substantial (as had one of my buddy) trading in his M6 for M5 then on to Q7 had costed him $100k+, that within span of 6-7yrs. It helps that he gave the Q5 a missed, or otherwise - more. He took quite a hit, but for him the amount maybe chump change and that he is happy able to be playing around with new toys.. But not for me, I'd be more wary with my money/purchase decisions.

It was no coincidence that he held on to his M5 until Q7 comes along then.
I guess some models were just more favorable than others. Usually, but not always - newer means better.
That early transitional stage from M5 (wood) to Q5 (alum) is one case, I believe.

+1. But my experience with the Q5 was not so large as that with the M5 - there is always the risk I never listened to them in optimum conditions. BTW, the M5 also loved power - unfortunately they would trigger the NHB108 protection fuse too easily.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing