HIGHLY RECOMMENDED Download:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Garnet Mimms was the guy I was thinking of. He's somewhat extraordinary, because although he is considered 'northern soul' which I take to mean white british guys singing black soul, he was a black dude from the states who never got the fame here that he deserved. The song As Long as I have You is brilliant, he worked with Jerry Ragavoy, and also was the first to record 'Cry Baby,' made famous later by Janis Joplin. I can't remember how I got turned on to him, apparently he was an influence on Robert Plant, who covered his stuff in Band of Joy, and Mimms also worked with Hendrix in the UK.
Unfortunately, original UK copies of the LPs are pretty rare and pricey these days.
On the psychobilly front, there was a woman from Boston we used to love going to hear- Sarah Borges- who had a killer band. They broke up a few years ago and now she has a solo career and has changed gears.
I also dug one song from Elvis Hitler, from the Disgraceland album- his cover of Purple Haze, with the lyrics from the Green Acres TV show, predictably entitled 'Green Haze.' Have the original vinyl release that I bought back in the day at CBGB's, when they had a record store. :)

The Yardbirds covered Garnet Mimms track My Baby...he was very popular among British blues rockers in the mid 60's. Good one!

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
Psychobilly. Good stuff. It is an established genre. Hunter is somewhat Van Morrison-ish, but there is a whole vein of UK R &B/Soul stuff that is wonderful. I'll try to remember the one guy whose work I love, his name escapes me, and I'll put it in a postscript.

Ok. I have heard of Psychobilly. It was quite popular during the 80s when I was still in the U.K. I think that the Brit Soul stuff is Northern Soul, which I don't know much about.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing