HIGHLY RECOMMENDED Download:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I highly recommend the new album from James Hunter, a terrific British musician
who specializes in British R&B/Soul with a heavy 60's flavor.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/james-hunter-mn0000125391

Minute By Minute is available from HDTracks in 96/24, and from amazon as Cd, and there is probably Vinyl.

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD00888072343269

It was produced by Gabriel Roth of DapTone, so I am almost positive it was recorded to tape.

He is a hard working musician who tours on a regular basis, and unfortunately the poor guy lost his wife to cancer recently.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
We've caught James a number of times at the Turning Point in Piermont, his band is fabulous, he does that blue-eyed soul thing to a fare-thee-well (somewhat reminiscent of Van the Man, with whom I think he played at one point). This club is a tiny joint, seats about 100 in a small town on the Hudson- and a great place to catch a show.
A year or so ago, he did two shows on successive nights. He was hanging around a few hours before the second night's show when someone pulled up in a car, and said, 'Yo, who's playing tonight?" James said in that thick Manchester? accent: "Aw, mate, just some wankers."
Funny, talented guy with a great act.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
We've caught James a number of times at the Turning Point in Piermont, his band is fabulous, he does that blue-eyed soul thing to a fare-thee-well (somewhat reminiscent of Van the Man, with whom I think he played at one point). This club is a tiny joint, seats about 100 in a small town on the Hudson- and a great place to catch a show.
A year or so ago, he did two shows on successive nights. He was hanging around a few hours before the second night's show when someone pulled up in a car, and said, 'Yo, who's playing tonight?" James said in that thick Manchester? accent: "Aw, mate, just some wankers."
Funny, talented guy with a great act.

Great post!!!!! I bought the download today and will put aside some time to listen.

Hunter is a guy who plays with heart and soul. He is a working musician in it for the love of playing. I can't imagine
there is much glamour in playing clubs in small towns.

I like supporting guys like this. Again, really appreciate the story!

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Excellent Andre. I like Hunter's style of music and will pick this up. Thanks! If you like the old southern soul sound, you might want to pick up some Dan Penn. He and Spooner Oldham wrote a lot of those songs; "I'm Your Puppet", "Out of Left Field", "Do Right Woman, Do Right Man", "The Dark End of the Street", "Cry Like a Baby", etc. I recommend his album, "Do Right Man".

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Excellent Andre. I like Hunter's style of music and will pick this up. Thanks! If you like the old southern soul sound, you might want to pick up some Dan Penn. He and Spooner Oldham wrote a lot of those songs; "I'm Your Puppet", "Out of Left Field", "Do Right Woman, Do Right Man", "The Dark End of the Street", "Cry Like a Baby", etc. I recommend his album, "Do Right Man".

Ah yes, those songs are absolute classics...the Flying Burrito Brothers helped bring them to rock fans.

Funny, we hear all sorts of lamenting about auto tune, manufactured, air brushed pop stars, and here we have the real thing in
Hunter.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Perhaps we should be recommending the FBB to those who haven't heard them (in addition to Hunter, whom I haven't heard)? One of my favorite bands.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Perhaps we should be recommending the FBB to those who haven't heard them (in addition to Hunter, whom I haven't heard)? One of my favorite bands.

Absolutely. But it should be noted they don't sound anything alike. The FBB veer towards psychedelic country and Hunter is classic pre Beatles R&B.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Psychobilly. Good stuff. It is an established genre. Hunter is somewhat Van Morrison-ish, but there is a whole vein of UK R &B/Soul stuff that is wonderful. I'll try to remember the one guy whose work I love, his name escapes me, and I'll put it in a postscript.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I would have never thought that there was a genre called "Psychedelic Country." Almost as surprising as "Bagpipe Calypso."

How about the Electric Amish? They were a riot. They had a song called "Amish Lady" sung to the tune of Jimi Hendrix "Foxy Lady." "You're a cute little dress maker..."

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Psychobilly. Good stuff. It is an established genre. Hunter is somewhat Van Morrison-ish, but there is a whole vein of UK R &B/Soul stuff that is wonderful. I'll try to remember the one guy whose work I love, his name escapes me, and I'll put it in a postscript.

I love Imelda May.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
How about the Electric Amish? They were a riot. They had a song called "Amish Lady" sung to the tune of Jimi Hendrix "Foxy Lady." "You're a cute little dress maker..."

My favorite genre? Hasidic Roots Reggae. Check out Matisyahu.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Garnet Mimms was the guy I was thinking of. He's somewhat extraordinary, because although he is considered 'northern soul' which I take to mean white british guys singing black soul, he was a black dude from the states who never got the fame here that he deserved. The song As Long as I have You is brilliant, he worked with Jerry Ragavoy, and also was the first to record 'Cry Baby,' made famous later by Janis Joplin. I can't remember how I got turned on to him, apparently he was an influence on Robert Plant, who covered his stuff in Band of Joy, and Mimms also worked with Hendrix in the UK.
Unfortunately, original UK copies of the LPs are pretty rare and pricey these days.
On the psychobilly front, there was a woman from Boston we used to love going to hear- Sarah Borges- who had a killer band. They broke up a few years ago and now she has a solo career and has changed gears.
I also dug one song from Elvis Hitler, from the Disgraceland album- his cover of Purple Haze, with the lyrics from the Green Acres TV show, predictably entitled 'Green Haze.' Have the original vinyl release that I bought back in the day at CBGB's, when they had a record store. :)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Funny, you are on the same page as me, i posted about Elvis Hitler's cover of Purple Haze, using the lyrics from Green Acres, without having read your post.
Dred Zeppelin was fun too- Led Zep cover band, with a rastafarian bent, and a lead singer who was an Elvis impersonator.
But, we stray from the original topic....

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Funny, you are on the same page as me, i posted about Elvis Hitler's cover of Purple Haze, using the lyrics from Green Acres, without having read your post.
Dred Zeppelin was fun too- Led Zep cover band, with a rastafarian bent, and a lead singer who was an Elvis impersonator.
But, we stray from the original topic....

Dread Zeppelin were serious musicians! I have most of their albums! Brilliant!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing