Hey All!

Summa

Feb 1, 2012
North Georgia, USA
Amir has rescued me from the absurdity of another forum, so I'm here to take in a breath of fresh air! :D

I started into it a little over ten years ago and currently have a system that I really enjoy. I'm a huge Magnepan fan, and I've also been playing around with headphone and portable audio gear over the last few months. So far I've become quite smitten with some entry level Grados (SR80is) and looking forward to moving up the line.

Anyway, glad to be here! Looking forward to taking part in some cordial, respectful, entertaining discussions about this fantastic hobby!

Summa

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Amir has rescued me from the absurdity of another forum, so I'm here to take in a breath of fresh air! :D

I started into it a little over ten years ago and currently have a system that I really enjoy. I'm a huge Magnepan fan, and I've also been playing around with headphone and portable audio gear over the last few months. So far I've become quite smitten with some entry level Grados (SR80is) and looking forward to moving up the line.

Anyway, glad to be here! Looking forward to taking part in some cordial, respectful, entertaining discussions about this fantastic hobby!

Summa

Welcome and good job Amir :) Anyone who listens to Magnepans can't be all bad :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
An you are here! Welcome :).

I have great fondness for Grado 70/80s. I don't know how they cornered the market for pleasant audio at such low prices! And they made you look like a 1950s Ham (radio) operator to boot! :D

I gave my Grado to my son. I have to see if I can get it back from him :).

Summa

Feb 1, 2012
North Georgia, USA
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Great to see some Maggie and Grado fans here already :)

Bob: It was the AVS forum. Not the forum as a whole, but the more specific 2-channel area where there are four or five members who seem to be on an anti-audiophile crusade. They have post histories full of antagonism and very poor behavior, and all they really seem to care about is baiting and arguing with others. They are completely obsessed with Amir, following him from thread to thread and saying very disrespectful and uncalled for things to him. So I'm not meaning to be critical of AVS in general, just their seeming lack of interest in ridding the place of a few bad apples with some very long track records of disruption.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
It just happened, coincidentally, that this was the forum (AVS) that I had in mind when I asked you prior ...

Hope you'll find real peace and true friendship here Summa ...
... Warm support from family members ...
And mutual sharing of knowledge in total perfect harmony.
And incidentally climb the ladder to the Tree of true Life Happiness ...

:b

Summa

Feb 1, 2012
North Georgia, USA
Thanks Bob, that echoes what Amir conveyed to me when he told me about this place...and it sounds just as good coming from you! :)

I just have no interest in that sort of stuff going on at AVS...I talk about all things audio/video because it's a hobby that I enjoy learning about and taking part in. I think it's great that some people prefer to be more scientific, while others just want to try different gear and allow their ears to guide them. Why some people take offense with how OTHER people go about this hobby is beyond me. I especially can't tolerate it when people have no tolerance for how far along and/or experienced others are in their understanding of the topics involved. When I first started researching and auditioning gear, if someone was right there to criticize every move I made and beat me over the head with all their facts and data, it would have completely taken away the fun of it all. I'm glad those people are there to share their views, but I have yet to meet anyone who wants them shoved down their throat.

So if this place can offer all of the positive aspects of a place like AVS and minimize of eliminate the factors that take away from others' our enjoyment, then that sounds great to me!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Amir is one of the great people of this Earth.
He is extremely generous, intelligent, knowledgeable, and super friendly. :b

"Music/Cinema are artistic & passionate languages,
and they can unify peace among all people from all over.
They have the power to harmonize and purify our souls through emotional freedom."
- Bob

Summa

Feb 1, 2012
North Georgia, USA
I couldn't agree more. Right when it felt like I was standing up for the little guy by myself, there came Amir to "provide some air cover", as he put it...and provide it he did :)

Amir is one of the great people of this Earth.
He is extremely generous, intelligent, knowledgeable, and super friendly. :b

"Music/Cinema are artistic & passionate languages,
and they can unify peace among all people from all over.
They have the power to harmonize and purify our souls through emotional freedom."
- Bob

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
From the city of festivals in the Old country

I guess that you could say that I am a refugee from other forums. I was getting uncomfortable with how discussions seemed to degenerate into abuse and then abuse became a topic in its own right. Not where I am at.

My audio journey stared in the 70's and stumbled through the 80's to emerge into a patchwork of Jadis, Goldmund, Audio Lab, Counterpoint and Cello with a smattering of Kondo and john Curl. Whilst I seem to have accumulated a lot of experience I am not sure that I have much certainty about it all. Anyway, I did spend some time reviewing for a UK Hi Fi mag, that made me realise how dangerous opinions could be!

Looking forward to participating in some healthy dialectic

Peter

Peter

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Good afternoon, Peter and welcome to the WBF! You should feel at home here.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Welcome To the forum guys.. It has become my go-to place... Hope you like it and share your views with us. These will sometimes be challenged .. all in good manners and respect of course.. That's the thing I like most about the WBF ..
Waiting to hear more form you :)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Welcome to the forum. It's the only forum I frequent and post on..... and it's always good to see a different point of view in an objective, friendly and entertaining manner.

We even respect and read posts by members with views that so far out there that they seem to be from a different planet.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'll third the welcome Peter! Wonderfully compassionate group of members here who like to share, discuss, debate and help. Hope to read your posts!:D

EDIT: Gary beat me to the third welcome, so here's the fourth!;)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome Peter. I like your intro line:

"From the city of festivals in the Old country"

Tell us about the festivals. Are they specific to Cheltenham or Gloucester? The closest I have come to your neck of the woods was was Reading which is to say, not much at all :).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I guess that you could say that I am a refugee from other forums. I was getting uncomfortable with how discussions seemed to degenerate into abuse and then abuse became a topic in its own right. Not where I am at.

My audio journey stared in the 70's and stumbled through the 80's to emerge into a patchwork of Jadis, Goldmund, Audio Lab, Counterpoint and Cello with a smattering of Kondo and john Curl. Whilst I seem to have accumulated a lot of experience I am not sure that I have much certainty about it all. Anyway, I did spend some time reviewing for a UK Hi Fi mag, that made me realise how dangerous opinions could be!

Looking forward to participating in some healthy dialectic

Peter

Peter

Welcome. Your present day system doesn't look too shabby either :)

BTW, what mag did you write for?

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
hi Miles

Welcome. Your present day system doesn't look too shabby either :)

BTW, what mag did you write for?

I wrote for Hi Fi+ when Roy Gregory was editor. They were interesting times.

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
Hi Amir

Thanks for the welcome. Yes I live in Cheltenham; Science, Music, Jaz and literary festivals. A great place to be.
Peter

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing