Hello from Texas

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
Albert Porter here, my birth name and the name I use here, at Audiogon and Audio Asylum. I've been in love with music and fascinated by music playback equipment since my pre teen years.

In the mid 1960s a chance visit to a high end store really shook me up, I had no idea McIntosh existed and all the other cool gear that went with it at the time. I hung around the store as much as I could and eventually the owner offered me a job. I worked hard, learned a lot, sold a lot and bought myself a big system. McIntosh of course and Bozak speakers plus all the other necessary bits.

Fast forward, I left there to become the factory rep for JBL, Infinity, Yamaha, Crown International, Ampex and ESS, covering a five state area. This was not fun, the constant travel (all by car) was brutal even for a young man.

I left the rep business to work as entry level photographer at an ad agency, then a year later was hired away to shoot the Neiman Marcus catalog. The contacts from that kicked off my 39 year career in commercial photography. My clients include Interstate Battery, Bank of America, Southwest Airlines, Hunt Oil, Quest Medical, Hyatt Hotels, The Dallas Musicals and countless others.

I never lost passion for music or my audio system, attended CES for 20+ years and managed to land photo shoots for Counterpoint, Basis, Graham, Benz Micro, Versa Dynamics, Aesthetix and too many others to list.

I still cover audio shows for Audiogon and do commercial shoots when they come along, and started selling high end audio to help pay it's own way. I sell Purist Audio, Allnic, Koetsu, Air Tight, Ypsilon and some custom analog products for turntables.

I've held a Tuesday night music group for 36 years. We meet EVERY week come rain, snow or Texas heat since 1974 or 1975. The group changes from time to time but the goal is and has always been the same; Have a good time, listen to all kinds of new music and when necessary test new equipment.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I will add my welcome as well (says he, as he worries that no one will take his photography advice seriously anymore with a new king in the house :D).....

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Albert Porter here, my birth name and the name I use here, at Audiogon and Audio Asylum. I've been in love with music and fascinated by music playback equipment since my pre teen years.
I...started selling high end audio to help pay it's own way. I sell Purist Audio, Allnic, Koetsu, Air Tight, Ypsilon and some custom analog products for turntables.

Hi Albert - have always appreciated your knowledgable posts! Have you compared the Ypsilon digital with Stahl-Tek which i believe you also know well? Thanks for any thoughts...feel free to PM if you prefer.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
+1

I have to second this, wow, 36 years of weekly listening sessions with buds. Very cool. BTW, great to see you last weekend.

And yes, this is a nice group of people here, glad you found it.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Albert,

Glad you are on board!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing