Hello From Phoenix

VukeNikko

May 7, 2014
I am new to the forum. Back in the Mid-90's I was introduced the Hi End Audio and became a fan. I had KRELL gear, a KST 100 amp, a KSL preamp, a CD DSP with audioquest cables and DIY speakers built by a friend. Then I moved out West from the East Coast and stuck the equipment into storage and was never able in a position to take out the gear. Now I am in a position to take the gear out and enjoying it again. Want to learn more about Hi End and have been reading the forum here and enjoying the education. Looking forward to even learn more.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Welcome to WBF and I hope your gear works OK when you pull it out of storage.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome to the forum.

It may not be wise to power on that old equipment. Electrolytic caps go bad after 10 to 15 years. I would have someone look over your power amplifier at least. A visual inspection would identify most of these (top of the caps bulging out).

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Welcome to the forum.

It may not be wise to power on that old equipment. Electrolytic caps go bad after 10 to 15 years. I would have someone look over your power amplifier at least. A visual inspection would identify most of these (top of the caps bulging out).

Amir-If the caps weren't bulging out before he put them in storage, they shouldn't be bulging out now. Bringing up the old gear on a variac is a good idea though.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir-If the caps weren't bulging out before he put them in storage, they shouldn't be bulging out now. Bringing up the old gear on a variac is a good idea though.
We are talking about Phoenix heat. Unless the storage was temperature controlled, caps may have dried out or oozed out their guts.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Certainly couldn't hurt to send at least the amplifier back to Krell for a check up. They might even enjoy seeing one of the early amplifiers and make sure it meets specs! :) Better to spend a few dollars now if you intend to keep the gear for the time being than spend more money if something happens.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing