Hello from Nashville

DACMan

Sep 30, 2012
near Nashville, Tennessee
OK, well, first off, and so there's no confusion.....

I picked the handle DACMan here because, well, I like DACs....
I think digital is where music is going because it just plain works.

When I was a little vermin, I wanted to be an Electronic Engineer, so I ended up in a very good engineering school.
Unfortunately, that proved to be rather tedious, so I dropped out and went to work.
I held various positions as electronic assembler, electronic inspector, and system inspector (Fairchild Weston Space and Defense Systems), and prototype technician for military electronic equipment (Robotic Vision Systems), ran the test department at a company that made disc drive test equipment for a while (Wilson Labs), and then did production engineering there for a while. After that I moved over to computers, where I did product analysis, finally ending up running the "networking and communications equipment department" at an analyst firm (The Technigroup), and then I did sales support engineering for a while at a company that made load balancers back when they were "cool cutting edge tech" (HydraWeb Technologies). I also did a stint as a technical writer, and ended up doing a lot of technical writing as part of several of my other jobs.

Throughout all of this, I was always interested in audio equipment as a a hobby - and, I have to admit, I was probably more interested in the equipment than in the music. I do like listening to the music, but the equipment is the cool toy part of the deal. I have designed lots of stuff - but I'm usually too lazy to built it :)

For those who actually read this far, and who read my other posts, I will say here that, back in the seventies, I bought and sold lots of tube gear. I know how it works, how to design it - right, how to build it, and most of what there is to know about it. I think it's very cool as technology, and as toys, but I do NOT think it is a practical way to do audio..... and, by that, I don't just mean that it's expensive to do correctly..... what I mean is that it simply is NOT the best way to get the job done. I believe that, at ANY level of price and performance, solid state will do a better job for less money and, at the "cost no object" level, solid state is just plain better. There was a time when tubes were the best way to do audio, but that time has passed. Let me also be clear that my definition of "high fidelity" is "accurate reproduction of the original" and, to me, that means accurate and uncolored reproduction OF THE ELECTRICAL SIGNAL. I think an amplifier or a preamp should be "a straight wire with gain", or as close to it as I can get. I think that an audio system should NOT change the way the recording sounds..... even if, occasionally, you (or I) may like the result better. If I don't like the way a recording was mastered, then I'll find a different recording.... I'm NOT going to try and find an amp that makes the one I have sound the way I would prefer it to sound. [That way lies madness because, no matter how a system changes the sound, it's a crap shoot whether it will make a given recording better or worse. I'd rather find a system that is as close to perfect as I can get, and then look for really good recording to play on it.]

I really like digital technology. I think digital recordings are pretty darn good (although not perfect yet), and have infinite room for improvement. I think media like tape and records are already pretty close to "maxxed out", and most of the so-called recent improvements are simply bull$#!+, whereas there is plenty of room to improve digital - if it actually turns out that any improvement is really useful. I'll take a sideline seat for the argument about whether 16/44 digital audio is better than an LP (it's quieter, lower distortion, and flatter, which makes the answer obvious to me, but there are still phase and filter issues that make it less than perfect), but higher sample rates just make it a "no-contest".

I am currently working at Emotiva Audio (we design and sell "economical high-end audio equipment" - and, yes, it is built in China). For the curious, you can find the companies website URL in my signature..... we also have two "sister companies": Sherbourn makes stuff intended mostly for custom system installers, and Emotiva Pro makes studio equipment (mostly powered monitors so far). Emotiva makes amps, preamps, DACs, and speakers (and the usual cables and such).... and, if you were curious, at the moment we only make solid state gear (although we might do an occasional piece of tube gear eventually), and we only sell online direct to the customer. I write all the new manuals, do some support, stick my nose into engineering and sales on occasion, and now seem to be mostly in charge of our online forums..... you will find me there (and a few other places) as KeithL ...

I should also make it clear that my views expressed here may not necessarily be those of the company I work for - although they're usually pretty close - which is why it's so much fun to work there.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Hello, Keith. I'm relatively new here myself.

I do own some Emotiva gear so glad to see you on this forum.

I'm listening to my headphones (Hifiman HE-500) now using the a-100 mini-x to drive them - speaker taps and balanced cables.

Mostly digital music myself, PC based using J River.

Have three DACs - Yulong Sabre D18, Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus and an Emotiva XDA-2. Had an XDA-1 previously.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the intro Keith. Like you, I have bet on digital and solid state and for a long time. I like that I can stick my finger in a solid state design and not get killed. :D Heaven knows I have been shocked by tube gear more times than I care to remember....

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Thanks for the intro Keith. Like you, I have bet on digital and solid state and for a long time. I like that I can stick my finger in a solid state design and not get killed. :D Heaven knows I have been shocked by tube gear more times than I care to remember....

Welcome, Keith. I'm not one of the ss 'lovers' on this forum. While I like ss, I also really like tubes, much preferring tubes in preamps to ss.
Amir, why on earth are you sticking your fingers where they don't belong, LOL.:b

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Welcome Keith?!

I'm glad you decided on starting an introductory thread and giving us a look into where you came from and how you ended up being where you are now. It sounds like you've had a fascinating and enjoyable journey. So far I've enjoyed reading your posts. They are eloquent and straight-forward without being aggressive. I personally appreciate that style of writing.

You won't find me debating many of the issues brought up on this forum as I am very non-technical, and quite frankly don't share the enthusiasm for it that so many here do. As such I also have no true opinion on Solid State or Tube gear. I just want something that sounds good to my ears. Yeah, I know, its a simplistic approach, but I'm ok with that.

I'm all about the music, and while vinyl may be flawed, nothing else sounds sweeter to my ageing ears! ;)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello DACMan and welcome to the forum. We are glad to see you join in on the discussions here at the WBF.

DACMan said:
I'd rather find a system that is as close to perfect as I can get, and then look for really good recording to play on it.

We are eye to eye on this aspect, Keith. I have designed my system the same way, using the phenomenal recordings in my collection to provide guidance to which road my system takes along my own personal audio journey. So far, I have enjoyed the ride and I have found that in designing my system this way that even the "not so good" recordings can sound great as well. I have gone so far as to have around 12 different versions of many of the same albums within my collection, just to find the best.

I'd also like to take the time to thank you for disclosing your participation in the industry. We look forward to reading your contributions to our community.

Tom

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Welcome Keith

For the record I have heard the big Emotiva. A friend is using them to drive his Dunelavy V... I was very impressed ...
Another person a relative is using your DAC with ARC preamp and he's very pleased ...

Please do post more !!

DACMan

Sep 30, 2012
Thanks, and nice to be here....

I would suggest, though, that sticking you fingers into even solid state gear isn't really a good idea.

Big power amps often run at power rail voltages of +/- 80 volts or so - which can still give you a nasty shock.
A really big amp could well have that at the speaker terminals if you turn it ALL the way up :)

The power supply on a big amp can also put out enough current to arc weld if you short the main power caps,
so, for example, getting a piece of metal jewelry across that would be very bad even if it was only 40 or 50 volts.

Some power amps, and even some headphone amps, can run at even higher voltages
(the Phonitor headphone amp claims to have 120V supplies on its output amps for "lots of headroom".)

The big thing to watch out for, though, is switching power supplies....
even the little ones run with the "hot" side connected directly to the line - and there's about 270 volts DC on that side.
These days, even a lot of amps that have linear supplies for the main supply, have a little switcher for a standby supply
(it's easier to meet the EU requirement of drawing less than 1 watt in standby that way.)
Even if it's only a few watts output, a little switcher can still give you a nasty shock (it's still 270 VDC or more on the hot side)

Do be careful.

DACMan

Sep 30, 2012
Hi, nice to hear from you.

Interesting coincidence that I also just bought a pair of HiFiMan HE-500's.

At the moment I'm running them on a Schiit Mjolnir - which is quite nice -
but it had occurred to me that something like the Mini-X would be a good match
(haven't had a chance to try it yet).
I would love to hear how that's working out for you.

[I'll admit that I'm not really a "headphone lover" but, at the moment I'm living in
an apartment, so they sort of become necessary after about 10 PM on weekdays.
I'd heard so many nice things about the HiFiMans that I couldn't resist,
and I do rather like them, although they are a tiny bit on the dark side for me.]

As far as I'm concerned, a good digital setup already sounds better than a record.
The two things I always hated the most about records were ticks and pops, and surface hiss;
I used to almost flinch every time a record made a big tick (and run for the cleaner to make
sure it was only dust and not something permanent like a scratch), and hiss just plain bugged me.
Some people like the ritual of playing a record.... pull it out, put it on, clean it,
CAREFULLY lower the arm;personally I find it a nuisance.
I think even a well recorded CD sounds as good or better than a record in every other way -
AND it doesn't have either of those problems. And high-res files sound even better.
I always had to worry about my records... with digital files, they're almost impossible to mess up,
and I can run a checksum and KNOW that they're EXACTLY what they're supposed to be....

I usually use FooBar, although I do think jRiver is somewhat more stable - and it has more nice user interface options.
FooBar is more like a nice old car that you have to tinker with every now and then.

(I have way too many DACs, so I ain't gonna list em :) )

Anyway, nice to meet you.

Hello, Keith. I'm relatively new here myself.

I do own some Emotiva gear so glad to see you on this forum.

I'm listening to my headphones (Hifiman HE-500) now using the a-100 mini-x to drive them - speaker taps and balanced cables.

Mostly digital music myself, PC based using J River.

Have three DACs - Yulong Sabre D18, Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus and an Emotiva XDA-2. Had an XDA-1 previously.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing