Hello from Hamburg, Germany

Blam!

Apr 8, 2012
Germany
Hello everyone,

I just thought I'd say "Hello" as I'm new here.

My name is Matthias aka Blam!. I made my first steps in HiFi 30 years ago (Thorens turntable, Yamaha preamp / amp and Yamaha speakers. 5 years later to be followed by a complete Linn setup, which lasted for about 20 years). Due to a failure of the Linn LK 2 I was forced in 2006 to re-engage with my HiFi-setup.

Some friends and nice persons in various forums helped on my way to my current setup: 30 years later from my first steps I'm still "on vinyl" (TW Acustic Raven AC3 turntable and TW Acustic tonearms). As in the period, that I might call my Linn years, my current electronics, CD and speakers come from one manufacturer (Gryphon). It looks that I have a high brand loyality... :)

I'm looking forward to making new friends here.

Best regards
Blam!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hello everyone,

My name is Matthias aka Blam!. I made my first steps in HiFi 30 years ago (Thorens turntable, Yamaha preamp / amp and Yamaha speakers. 5 years later to be followed by a complete Linn setup, which lasted for about 20 years). Due to a failure of the Linn LK 2 I was forced in 2006 to re-engage with my HiFi-setup.

Some friends and nice persons in various forums helped on my way to my current setup: 30 years later from my first steps I'm still "on vinyl" (TW Acustic Raven AC3 turntable and TW Acustic tonearms). As in the period, that I might call my Linn years, my current electronics, CD and speakers come from one manufacturer (Gryphon). It looks that I have a high brand loyality... :)

Best regards
Blam!

Welcome aboard!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hello everyone,

Best regards
Blam!

Hi Blam,

Welcome. i am a big fan of Gryphon, having owned the Gryphon Antileon, and now the Colosseum. Which of the great Gryphon pieces do you use? Would love to know more about their speakers. Which ones do you own and which ones to do you know well...and how do they compare in your opinion to other speakers (Sonus Faber, Wilson, Magico, Martin Logan, etc.)?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Welcome Blam!---

Bob (aka Robert, NorthStar, LordoftheRingsEE, EternalLife, Karma, Astral, Celesta, SoulUniverse, and few others that I cannot divulgue if I want to protect few secure sectors). :b

Twitter, FaceBook? Nah, that's for kids in search of an identity; I don't need that. ;)
E-mailing and Windows Live Messenger is for family & very close friends.

Last edited:

Blam!

Apr 8, 2012
Germany
Thanks for the friendly welcome. :)

Dear lloydelee21,

I'm using the Gryphon Canata two-way monitors, other Gryphon speakers won't fit into my small listening room. ;) The Cantatas are almost in nearfield distance. I love the transparent, though coherent sound of the Cantatas and their phenomenal imaging. I can't imagine much better sound from the mids upwards. The Cantata speakers have also the abilty to match the low frequency characteristics to my listening room with the external Q controller. E. g. the Cantatas were chosen over Sonus Faber Guarneri Mementos. I haven't had the opportunity to listen to the Magicos and haven't heard any Martin Logans in my own rooms, but I can say that I didn't like their sound at a friend's or a dealer's setup.

My Gryphon electronics are Sonata Allegro, Legato phono, Orestes LE phono, CDP 1.5 CD player and Antileon amp. The Antileon produces a lot of heat in my small room... :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for the friendly welcome. :)

Dear lloydelee21,

I'm using the Gryphon Canata two-way monitors, other Gryphon speakers won't fit into my small listening room. ;) The Cantatas are almost in nearfield distance. I love the transparent, though coherent sound of the Cantatas and their phenomenal imaging. I can't imagine much better sound from the mids upwards. The Cantata speakers have also the abilty to match the low frequency characteristics to my listening room with the external Q controller. E. g. the Cantatas were chosen over Sonus Faber Guarneri Mementos. I haven't had the opportunity to listen to the Magicos and haven't heard any Martin Logans in my own rooms, but I can say that I didn't like their sound at a friend's or a dealer's setup.

My Gryphon electronics are Sonata Allegro, Legato phono, Orestes LE phono, CDP 1.5 CD player and Antileon amp. The Antileon produces a lot of heat in my small room... :)

Nice system! I just sold my Antileon which i enjoyed for many years...i was fortunate to find a second-hand Gryphon Colosseum. I am curious...i used to own SF Guarneri Homages (now own Wilson X1/Grand Slamms)...how do you compare the Guarneri Memento (which i have heard before) and your Cantatas?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing