Hearing acuity, say what?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
My feelings aren't hurt. The tweeters sound great to me. I am providing a public service to disclose and discredit your misinformation....such as this ultrasonic ring at 15K makes a real audible difference in the sound with regard to the context of real music. Do you have a bit of tinnitus possibly ? another form of ringing ?
I wish I could count how many different threads here you go out of your to ring Wilson's bell. It's almost obsessive. I'm done. you get the last gasp. Cheerio !

Christian, is there no reason that DW changed to the silk domes? Did he do this because they are a step backwards? Have you listened to the new drivers? A public service (?) would be to stop yammering and go and listen to the new drivers and then come back with an educated unbiased opinion...otherwise I do get the last gasp.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian, is there no reason that DW changed to the silk domes? Did he do this because they are a step backwards? Have you listened to the new drivers? A public service (?) would be to stop yammering and go and listen to the new drivers and then come back with an educated unbiased opinion...otherwise I do get the last gasp.

who's talking XLF ? Of course it is better than my speaker. The point is, you try to poison the actual sound quality performance of any model prior that had the metal dome. I had the W/P 8...I never heard the ring. If Wilson's don't suit you, fine...Just layoff the BS on a speaker you have never owned. Over and out.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
who's talking XLF ? Of course it is better than my speaker. The point is, you try to poison the actual sound quality performance of any model prior that had the metal dome. I had the W/P 8...I never heard the ring. If Wilson's don't suit you, fine...Just layoff the BS on a speaker you have never owned. Over and out.
Actually, i think you could even listen to the Alexia. Same tweeter as the XLF. BUT you are so jaded that I can see you wouldn't even give it a chance. Too bad, your loss.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Actually, i think you could even listen to the Alexia. Same tweeter as the XLF. BUT you are so jaded that I can see you wouldn't even give it a chance. Too bad, your loss.

My Alexia's are so much better in the top end than my past Wilsons. It's a whole new ballgame.

"Almost midnight and I'm still in the studio working on the Wilson DSD files. You're in for a treat!"

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Alexia doesn't have the scale of X-2.2. And don't forget 94 vs 90 db efficient. My treble is fine. I bet better than yours. ;) I could trade even steven with my 3 year remaining warranty. Ain't gonna happen.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Davey has BAT ears :D which makes it kinda difficult , you must love these then the diamonds :
About the most extended response on the market :

http://www.accuton.de/drivers/detail.php?driver=22&matID=1&appID=1

scroll down for freq response , ive tested quite a few tweeters one of them a 20 mm diamond , solely specs dont tell the whole story , and dismissing a speaker for a couple db break up in the audioband , is very shortsighted

DSC_0439 by andromeda61, on Flickr

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Davey has BAT ears :D which makes it kinda difficult , you must love these then the diamonds :
About the most extended response on the market :

http://www.accuton.de/drivers/detail.php?driver=22&matID=1&appID=1

scroll down for freq response , ive tested quite a few tweeters one of them a 20 mm daimond

DSC_0439 by andromeda61, on Flickr

I've heard the diamond drivers. Albeit,in a speaker that was VERY sterile. I suspect they have great potential. Would like to hear them properly implemented.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Still sterile if you ask me , been there done that !!
And sound a bit harsh when driven hard , what i didnt expect
I've heard the diamond drivers. Albeit,in a speaker that was VERY sterile. I suspect they have great potential. Would like to hear them properly implemented.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Still sterile if you ask me , been there done that !!
And sound a bit harsh when driven hard , what i didnt expect
I was under the impression that the cabinet was to blame more than the driver, at least in the speaker that I heard. They did sound harsh and sterile, BUT I wonder if that would be the case in a more suitable cabinet?
Did you experiment with different cabinet designs?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
No i only used them with a very strong kind of mdf (more glue added ) but very heavily braced .
My next design will be of more exotic material , but i have not the impression the diamond tw will somehow have a different character in those more non resonant designs .
They are quite expensive to use and i rather use the money elsewhere

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
No i only used them with a very strong kind of mdf (more glue added ) but very heavily braced .
My next design will be of more exotic material , but i have not the impression the diamond tw will somehow have a different character in those more non resonant designs .
They are quite expensive to use and i rather use the money elsewhere

I heard them in a a cabinet that was all Aluminum with extensive bracing and therefore supposedly completely non resonant. Perhaps, the diamond drivers are too "hard" to be anything BUT sterile and harsh.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I heard them in a a cabinet that was all Aluminum with extensive bracing and therefore supposedly completely non resonant. Perhaps, the diamond drivers are too "hard" to be anything BUT sterile and harsh.

Did I hear "Magico"? :D

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
No Fernando, they were NOT Magico's. I don't believe Magico's use the diamond driver's. These speakers were the Polymer Audio Tech's.

You are right DaveyF....no precious stones on Magico. Thanks.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Regarding audio.

* I believe that's the main reason why there are less women than men in this hobby.
...Women don't like to talk about audio; they prefer listening instead, strictly.
...And just an iPad (iPod) or a Bose radio is mighty fine for the vast majority of them.
...And still, they hear better than us!

..my wife would argue that they LISTEN better than us

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
my wife first & seek her opinion

Anything else I listen to my wife first & seek her opinion. If engineering, construction, math, maps, directions >>> I am right 100% of the time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing