Hearing Test, A trip to the Audiologist.

honesthoff

Sep 8, 2023
East Bay
Try to do my best as a new member, new poster. I went to the audiologist yesterday, and here is my transcription:

Officiant: Do you have an appointment?
Me: What?

Them: Sir, Do you have an appointment?
Me: Yes, I have a 10:00 o'clock.

11:15: The doctor will see you now.

Me: Hi Doc, I feel like I have been losing some of my hearing.
Doc: What?, Just kidding!

Doc: No, seriously, we will be administrating a series of tones through your headphones to determine the frequencies you are able to hear.

Me: Are these Grado 225's? Just kidding, let's go.

Me: How did I do?
Doc: Are you on disability? KO

Anyway, the point is to get your hearing tested. I am 57, spent most of my adult life in the construction industry, and found out that I can't hear sh*t above 13K, or below 30h. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on tweaks and chasing it, like most of us. This is easily the best $150.00 I ever spent.

Last edited:

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Did they use those clunky headphones that feel like hard wood against your head?

And did they put you in a booth?

honesthoff

Sep 8, 2023
East Bay
Like those giant Shure's or Stax or Gilligan's Island coconut shell models. I kept trying to rationalize why I tested so badly, and my granddaughter finally told me it was because I can't hear.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Try to do my best as a new member, new poster. I went to the audiologist yesterday, and here is my transcription:

Officiant: Do you have an appointment?
Me: What?

Them: Sir, Do you have an appointment?
Me: Yes, I have a 10:00 o'clock.

11:15: The doctor will see you now.

Me: Hi Doc, I feel like I have been losing some of my hearing.
Doc: What?, Just kidding!

Doc: No, seriously, we will be administrating a series of tones through your headphones to determine the frequencies you are able to hear.

Me: How did I do?
Doc: Are you on disability? KO

Anyway, the point is to get your hearing tested. I am 57, spent most of my adult life in the construction industry, and found out that I can't hear sh*t above 13K, or below 30h. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on tweaks and chasing it, like most of us. This is easily the best $150.00 I ever spent
13K?? Have they changed used to be a 10K limit for standard auditory testing??

Rob :)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF honesthoff!

Mcsnare

Apr 1, 2022
www.instagram.com
Like those giant Shure's or Stax or Gilligan's Island coconut shell models. I kept trying to rationalize why I tested so badly, and my granddaughter finally told me it was because I can't hear.
Your indicated low cutoff of 30 makes total sense. Frequencies below somewhere in the mid 30's are felt, not heard. Headphones don't have the energy to make your body feel 28 hz. And who knows what the high freq response was on those test headphones?

One old Hifi joke used to be: what's the perfect speaker system? Listening to a set of Stax phones while you sit on a subwoofer.
13K is pretty good! And IMO plenty good enough to enjoy any high frequencies nuances that are part of the music.

Reactions: mtemur

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Were these really Grados? Aren't they open cans? Were you tested in an isolation or anechoic chamber?
Open air testing, even with sealed headphones, is unreliable since the seal is poor.

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
I noticed my hearing seemed to have deteriorated lately. The stereo image had also shifted from the center in the past few weeks. I went to an audiologist for cleaning. Sure enough, my right ear was almost blocked and the left needed maintenance. Well worth the modest cost! I hear slightly improved high frequency detail and I find I'm listening at -3dB compared to previously.

Several years ago I bought an ear cleaning kit from a pharmacy, but it seemed to do little other than cause a burning sensation on my eardrum. I threw the kit in the trash. I inquired with the audiologist about ongoing treatment at home and she suggested oil treatment.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Several years ago I bought an ear cleaning kit from a pharmacy, but it seemed to do little other than cause a burning sensation on my eardrum. I threw the kit in the trash.
Amen!
I inquired with the audiologist about ongoing treatment at home and she suggested oil treatment.
The good old olive oil imbibed cotton in ear!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing