Heard the Magico S5's yesterday

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Perhaps there was little more to discuss, but the records have been deleted for future reference.

I must have missed the resolution to the problem before the thread was deleted. As I recall, there was an issue about a particular cable being unsafe and Shunyata saying something about it being a beta version or something that was old but couldn't understand why it was still in the field etc, etc. Regardless of who the manufacturer is, if a forum member raises a QC issue in a public forum with legitimate concern which may be of interest to others who are considering the brand, and the thread is then deleted, there is no record out there that there was ever a problem. It leaves the impression that these forums are not truly "open" and that there are "interests" involved. Anyway, this is off topic and probably better addressed elsewhere.

Sorry to divert attention away from the S5 discussion.

It was a very old demo a dealer was still using and shouldn't have been. Grant was on top of it and was going to call and take care of it.
I agree with Steve, the issue was resolved and there was really nothing else to discuss. IMO, the title of the thread was inappropriate as the facts of the case came to light.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hi peter

That thread was never deleted,merely closed as I felt the problem was resolved to the satisfaction of both sides

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...little-more-QC&p=230169&viewfull=1#post230169

perhaps it's best for customers to contact the mfgr. direct rather than on a public forum unless the problem isn't resolved. If everyone posts their first gripe on a forum w/o contacting the mfgr. first, it may discourage their participation in forums, which would be unfortunate. Just my 2 cents.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
perhaps it's best for customers to contact the mfgr. direct rather than on a public forum unless the problem isn't resolved. If everyone posts their first gripe on a forum w/o contacting the mfgr. first, it may discourage their participation in forums, which would be unfortunate. Just my 2 cents.

Again

all of those thoughts were considered in my decision.

I felt it should have been directed to the manufacturer first. Regardless the outcome was favorable for both parties. I saw no reason to keep the thread open

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Again

all of those thoughts were considered in my decision.

I felt it should have been directed to the manufacturer first. Regardless the outcome was favorable for both parties. I saw no reason to keep the thread open

A wise decision IMHO - as far as see it no one would learn or gain anything from this thread, unless we had CSI looking for old finger prints and metallic vestiges of connectors in the plugs of the offender cable. ;)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC

My thoughts exactly Christian. Its hard enough to get manufacturers to join in on the discussions.

Tom

clab

Feb 12, 2012
traveling but based in Switzerland
a pity that this very interesting discussion seems to be finished ... ?

does somebody have an experience combining Magico with Jeff Rowland ?
I was thinking that maybe the tube-like sweetness of Rowland pre & amps would match with the high resolving Magico ... ?

I heard the Q3 with Soulution 710 and thought it was not working at all.
An totally exaggerated dynamic from pppp to ffff in the excellent sounding CD from Dejan Lazic (channel classics CCS SA 19703) !
No pianist in this world, not even Sviatoslav Richter -when he was alive- or Grigory Sokolov, are able to play as pppp and ffff as on the Haydn english sonatas of this CD and
neither would because you don't play Haydn like Tschaikovsky !!
So for me Q3 + Soulution are not playing (classical) music in a realistic way but I can understand somebody enjoying pop or techno music with this combination.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I did bring my Doshi JHors to Goodwin's High End to see how they would drive the Magicos. The short story is that I didn't like the combination. It sounded very dull. My friend (who was with me) summed it up nicely: "If this is how my system sounded I wouldn't listen to music very often."

The point here is that synergy is important. The same Doshi amps that provide amazing engagement with my Wilson Alexias did not make the S5's come alive. The Spectral electronics did make the S5's sing but would probably (this is just my speculation) not sound good with my Wilsons.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Not sure about Spectral and Wilson synergy
Every photo I see of Wilson's house he has and/or is using a Spectral amp............

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Every photo I see of Wilson's house he has and/or is using a Spectral amp............

They seem to use them when developing the speaker. I suspect this is because the amp is very honest and uncolored.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Yep
And isn't that what its all about??

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Yep
And isn't that what its all about??

Well for me it's about enjoying the sound regardless of whether its honest or not. I enjoy a sound that results in my brain perceiving the performers are in the room. That may not be honest, especially given I tend to get that with tubes which no doubt add color to the sound.

Perhaps the Spectral strategy is: develop with brutally honest amps and make sure its neutral enough that colored amps will still sound good? Just speculation on my part.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

As far as I have seen, not every photo. ;) David Wilson has been using several amplifiers in his house, but as far as I remember the most often shown and referred are the VTL Siegfried monoblocks, and more recently Agostino's. They use Spectral for development - I think that at sometime it was the DMA360's.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
The point here is that synergy is important. The same Doshi amps that provide amazing engagement with my Wilson Alexias did not make the S5's come alive. The Spectral electronics did make the S5's sing but would probably (this is just my speculation) not sound good with my Wilsons.

Never liked that combo, even though it seems to be popular during shows. IMO S5 works best with Class A amps (like the excellent MSB M202 monos I'm using) - a bit on the warm side, but still able to supply good amounts of current.

Wilsons are known to work with tube amps thanks to their high efficiency, even though the bass - this time to the punishing impedance and phase angles in that region - sounds very tuuuubey with them. I have tried the ARC R150 on my Sashas, and there was lots to like about the combo !

simshw

Jan 4, 2014
a pity that this very interesting discussion seems to be finished ... ?

does somebody have an experience combining Magico with Jeff Rowland ?
I was thinking that maybe the tube-like sweetness of Rowland pre & amps would match with the high resolving Magico ... ?

I heard the Q3 with Soulution 710 and thought it was not working at all.
An totally exaggerated dynamic from pppp to ffff in the excellent sounding CD from Dejan Lazic (channel classics CCS SA 19703) !
No pianist in this world, not even Sviatoslav Richter -when he was alive- or Grigory Sokolov, are able to play as pppp and ffff as on the Haydn english sonatas of this CD and
neither would because you don't play Haydn like Tschaikovsky !!
So for me Q3 + Soulution are not playing (classical) music in a realistic way but I can understand somebody enjoying pop or techno music with this combination.

I am using Jeff Rowland Criterion and Model 625 with Magico V2. I think Magico used Jeff Rowland as a reference amp when they designed the Mini/Mini2 series.

clab

Feb 12, 2012
traveling but based in Switzerland
I am using Jeff Rowland Criterion and Model 625 with Magico V2. I think Magico used Jeff Rowland as a reference amp when they designed the Mini/Mini2 series.

interesting, how does it sound ?

from what the importer of Jeff Rowland for Switzerland said, Jeff Rowland was using the Mini II for developing his products.
Did Alon Wolf the same ? this would be a funny coincidence ...
especially considering that the 2 brands seem seldom to be combined

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Magico uses Constellation, Vitus, Hegel, Soulution, and sometimes Spectral and VAC. He was using Rowland in the past.
I believe Alon is always open to hear new stuff, so he gets often new amps shipped to him for testing. I have visited the factory a few times to discuss Ultimate set up, there was often different amps in the music room.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing