Has Wilson dropped the Alexandria X2 Series 2?

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I just noticed that Wilson has removed the Alexandria X2 Series 2 from their website. In the announcement for the XLF they said that the X2 Series 2 would continue in production but it may be that they have rethought that plan.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
They'll probably update all their models now with the soft dome tweeter.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
They'll probably update all their models now with the soft dome tweeter.

Boy, when Ken Kessler says there are very few innovations happening in audio is right. For years Wilson was touting
their advanced material tweeters as superior now it is full circle back to soft dome tweeters. Hilarious. Magico next?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Alexandria X-2 is still a great speaker, IMHO still much better than most of the competition. I have listened to it playing fantastic in great systems. I also have no doubts that the treble of the XLF and the Aida shows more delicacy and inner detail that the tweeter of the X-2. But we should not exaggerate in the contribution to the overall sound of the tweeters - I am sure that we have a higher subjective difference between the treble of a DartZeel and a Mark Levinson amplifier, or even an Audio Research.

Also a speaker is much more than just the tweeter. Many times, just cleaning the bass and medium suggests that the sound becomes more airy, with better detail, that we associate to the treble. And I will not refer to the effect of cables, to avoid contamination of the thread! ;)

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
The Alexandria X2 Series 2 was not "dumped", and is still considered a current product. WA's new website guy accidentally pulled it off. We are correcting the issue.

Debby

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Anytime, Steve! :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The Alexandria X2 Series 2 was not "dumped", and is still considered a current product. WA's new website guy accidentally pulled it off. We are correcting the issue.

Debby

Hi Debby. I was not referring to the speaker at all, but rather sarcastically, I meant the Beryllium tweeter. :)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Agreed a speaker is much more than the last tiny bit of resolving power in the highs , as i said before , you win some you lose some ,a soft dome may sound a bit boring after a while , maybe some times to easy on the ear , a titanium dome draws sometimes maybe a little much atttention to itself , and its off course always a matter of execution
The Alexandria X-2 is still a great speaker, IMHO still much better than most of the competition. I have listened to it playing fantastic in great systems. I also have no doubts that the treble of the XLF and the Aida shows more delicacy and inner detail that the tweeter of the X-2. But we should not exaggerate in the contribution to the overall sound of the tweeters - I am sure that we have a higher subjective difference between the treble of a DartZeel and a Mark Levinson amplifier, or even an Audio Research.

Also a speaker is much more than just the tweeter. Many times, just cleaning the bass and medium suggests that the sound becomes more airy, with better detail, that we associate to the treble. And I will not refer to the effect of cables, to avoid contamination of the thread! ;)

Last edited:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I prefer the tweeters in my X2 Series 2 over the soft some ones in the XLF's. I still think the best tweeters are those use in MBL's products.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I prefer the tweeters in my X2 Series 2 over the soft some ones in the XLF's. I still think the best tweeters are those use in MBL's products.

Hi Still One,

I cannot zoom in on your avatar...but looks like quite a nice setup. What is your system? I am not familiar unfortunately with MBL speakers (only their electronics)...but i do like the X2 Series 2 a lot (and the XLF)...but generally agree with Steve that if i did own the X2 Series 2...i would not trade it for XLF...and also agree with Microstrip...the electronics will make a greater impact than the tweeter. I currently own the X1/Grand Slamms and still continue to find improvement in my sound with electronics.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Hi Still One,

I cannot zoom in on your avatar...but looks like quite a nice setup. What is your system? I am not familiar unfortunately with MBL speakers (only their electronics)...but i do like the X2 Series 2 a lot (and the XLF)...but generally agree with Steve that if i did own the X2 Series 2...i would not trade it for XLF...and also agree with Microstrip...the electronics will make a greater impact than the tweeter. I currently own the X1/Grand Slamms and still continue to find improvement in my sound with electronics.

Here is a better photo from another Wilson thread. See Post #1.
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?7882-Alexandria-X-2-Series-2-In-the-Room/page3

I am currently powering my X2 Series 2 with D'Agostino Momentums. My cabling is Transparent Reference. I recently sold both my McIntosh C-1000 pre and Wadia Series 9 and using my McIntosh MCD-1100 as a pre-amp and DAC for my MS-300, Olive 4HD and SonoS gear. I haven't found what I am looking for in a pre-amp nor a unit to replace the MCD-11100 since it is a great DAC, allows me to access those DAV's for three other devices and retains SACD capability.

Jim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing